All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oct/Nov UK & Ireland tour 2013
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52 am 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

DavidESQ wrote:
STPK, I think of you as the brother I already have, but are you nuts?

Well, yeah, certifiably so. :smt043 BTW, honored to be your brother.

I have Brandi's two albums with the Seattle Orchestra and even that doesn't really work for me. In her case, she is best in her element with the Twins and the rest of the band. It doesn't mean I really disliked it, just that it doesn't do anything for me. I don't think it would be any different with KT. I just can't see a symphony backing to her intimate songs and other songs, like Little Favors or Hold On for example, would just sound weird with an orchestra.

DavidESQ wrote:
"Security blanket"? You honestly believe KT would be lost without her loop pedals? So if there was a freak power surge just before a show and all the loop pedals died, she'd come on stage, make a few self-deprecating remarks, promise a refund, and have an unexpectedly early night? You've truly lost your mind.

I didn't say a show without the looper would not be entertaining. But for me, it removes an element to her sound. It's no different than Jerry Garcia with a guitar, Elton John with keyboards, Maynard Ferguson with a trumpet. Remove those instruments from those performers and it's just not the same. I don't consider the looper as a "gadget". It's just as important as an instrument to most artists and she does it wonderfully.

In fact, I would like her to go the other way and team up with another artist. A performance with Seasick Steve could be wildly creative.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 am 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

STPK wrote:
I just can't see a symphony backing to her intimate songs and other songs, like Little Favors or Hold On for example, would just sound weird with an orchestra.
I bet KT would embrace the chance to craft arrangements that work. And we've already seen her completely transform her own songs. For example, Other Side of the World for the previous tour. Yes, there are some songs that would never make the set list.

STPK wrote:
I don't consider the looper as a "gadget". It's just as important as an instrument..."
I knew after I wrote "gadget" that someone (read STPK) would interpret my word choice as dismissive. How about "electronic hocus pocus"? You're too sensitive!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 am 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

DavidESQ wrote:
Nat wrote:
DavidESQ wrote:
Nat wrote:
It's the sort of thing I would enjoy but not really KT's thing I don't think.
Nat, you dislike all of IE/CM even in person. So is KT losing her way? Is it possible that "her thing" is evolving while you're happy just the way things were? Just think, you can now say a la Bowie fans everywhere, "I love KT, I mean the early stuff of course."
I'm pretty sure I'm offended by this post.
Not my intent at all, Nat. Maybe I don't understand why you dislike all of IE/CM? As for the Bowie analogy, it's a light-hearted cliché often used in the USA even about things having nothing to do with music. My apologies if you've taken offense to any of my words.

Sorry, the way I read it was as though KT had outgrown me. As if I'm against any kind of change or development with her style.

I mean DF was more of a live and rocky sound to ETTT and then she went a bit more dancey for TS. I'd argue that these are all different styles. But I think she's going to come out with something much better than IE/CM next time around.

The new album has lost her a lot of the regular fans, you can see that in the gig turnout.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 am 

Nat wrote:
DavidESQ wrote:
Nat wrote:
DavidESQ wrote:
Nat wrote:
It's the sort of thing I would enjoy but not really KT's thing I don't think.
Nat, you dislike all of IE/CM even in person. So is KT losing her way? Is it possible that "her thing" is evolving while you're happy just the way things were? Just think, you can now say a la Bowie fans everywhere, "I love KT, I mean the early stuff of course."
I'm pretty sure I'm offended by this post.
Not my intent at all, Nat. Maybe I don't understand why you dislike all of IE/CM? As for the Bowie analogy, it's a light-hearted cliché often used in the USA even about things having nothing to do with music. My apologies if you've taken offense to any of my words.

Sorry, the way I read it was as though KT had outgrown me. As if I'm against any kind of change or development with her style.

I mean DF was more of a live and rocky sound to ETTT and then she went a bit more dancey for TS. I'd argue that these are all different styles. But I think she's going to come out with something much better than IE/CM next time around.

The new album has lost her a lot of the regular fans, you can see that in the gig turnout.

I agree 100% with Nat I have a feeling that this was an album that she had to get out her system.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

I do like IE/CM but I'd pick TS over it (and her other albums) every time. I'd love to see her do more of that but I'm not convinced that there will ever be a "Tiger Suit 2"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm 

intriguing comment in the Liverpool newspaper...

KT: “A big thing about the album for me is that I don’t care if it’s sad. I want it to be an emotional experience. But I don’t actually think it is a sad album. Melancholic is probably quite a good description of it. But it really is me now coming from a place where I don’t feel the need to please anybody but myself. I always liked to think that’s where I was before – but I don’t think I was."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on ... ll-6307074

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 am 

She's said that with both DF and TS though. That they were the albums she wanted to make and she didn't care if anyone else liked them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:52 pm 

I am SO excited for tomorrow :D

8/4/08 Ipswich Regent, 13/9/09 Harvest at Jimmy's, 19/10/10 The Junction, Cambridge, 17/11/13 Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, 28/11/15 Royal Albert Hall (Jools Holland), 10/12/15 BFI (Live score performance), 31/5/16 The Tabernacle, London, 6/11/16 Cambridge Corn Exchange, 9/11/16 Shepherds Bush Empire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:38 pm 

Nat wrote:
She's said that with both DF and TS though. That they were the albums she wanted to make and she didn't care if anyone else liked them.
You're right, Nat. So has KT been a rebel all these years? Or does she just enjoy thinking of herself that way whenever anyone suggests that [fill in the blank] album seems a departure for her? :smt017

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:47 pm 

mateytunstall wrote:
I am SO excited for tomorrow :D
You should be excited! I was in awe of her talent during all 8 shows I've seen on this tour. :smt023 Plus, it could be a while before she tours again with something new.:smt034

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:18 am 

DavidESQ wrote:
Nat wrote:
You're right, Nat. So has KT been a rebel all these years? Or does she just enjoy thinking of herself that way whenever anyone suggests that [fill in the blank] album seems a departure for her? :smt017

Without getting too philosophical for this time of night.. In my own work maybe 5 years ago I thought "yeah this is what im meant to be doing, yep, this is all good". Now with what I'm doing I look back and think "ok, what the hell was that. now THIS is what im meant to be doing!". I'm sure in another few years I'll be convinced something else is what I really want to be doing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 am 

:smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Totally speechless, it was so incredibly great!!
So so so happy I could make this one, I wouldn't have want to have missed it for the world!!

But first: damn that's hard having to sit down!! :lol:
But clearly a lot of people have thought otherwise over the years, I think over half of all the seats in the venue were occupied by grey birds!! It was just one big sea of grey if you looked behind you! Where have they been hiding during all these years??
Luckily right behind us a couple of kids restored the balance a little :lol:
Then again, at some point we'll b old gits ourselves, at least we'll fit right in and we don't have to be embarrassed going to KT gigs together with the youth :p

Thanks to Steve we had gotten tickets in the front row, which was really great, especially seeing how big the venue was, quite impressive, and I think nearly full!

Billy Lockett was supporting, the first song I didn't like his voice much, but apparently it was just the one song cause all the rest was simply gorgeous and I totally loved his voice in those! He wrote a gorgeous song about a soldier telling his love to move on whilst he was away, really sad, but beautiful!

Then some 15 minutes later, the missus came on herself :D

It's not the right order but she played:

Invisible Empire
UTW - She was doing the WB and having us guess the song, it was an oldie. I didn't have a clue till she was well into building it all up though! Great to hear it again, still love it to bits!
Carried - YES SHE WRITES SONGS ABOUT DEATH!!!! :lol:
STL
Made of Glass - I'm only sporadically on the interweb anymore (for pleasure anyway) but I did read about the video being posted 'tomorrow' at the time, then tomorrow it took a while and then I got busy again and totally forgot about it! First thing I'll be doing when I get home. There's not even a topic on it on here either!
Yellow Flower - apparently this used to be a poem. Just lyrics and no music, whilst normally they come together at once. Then she proceeded to show us a little booklet, she's written it full of poems and it's for sale at the merch stand! There's quite a few in it, gonna read later on the plane back :)
Through the Dark
White Bird
BHATCT with Seven Nation Army - This was just torture sitting down!! I think by this time she recognised me though cause a beaming smile came on her face halfway through, probably from seeing me squirm in my seat as well :lol:
Golden Frames - Aside from alien abduction apparently this song is also about growing up, I didn't know that!
Default - Cover by Atomic something... 45? Sounded amazing though!
Feel It All
Alchemy
Crescent Moon - Are all you lot also putting the B-side on first when you're feeling naughty? :p
SIS - FINALLY WE COULD STAND UP and have proper party. Except that all the 'booth' people didn't join in but that might've been because of KT making a little fun of them earlier haha! She was talking about the venue and saying how cool the booths were, then proceeding to portray a picture of the people in there putting her chin in the air and putting on a posh accent, and THEN she also had the lights pointed on them all so we could have a look at them hahahaha! Oops.
Chimes

And at the end of the night, cherry on the cake making it even more special than it already was, finishing Chimes she came straight up our way for a high five, really sweet!!
After all the gigs I did I've become a little hesitant and am a bit embarrassed because of the number of times I've seen her (and moreover, flew over... :oops: ), so it's great to know she's still happy to see me :-D

We didn't hang around afterward since Kev had said she's not coming out all tour. I did see her when we were meeting up with Steve at the venue in the afternoon, but I didn't want to bother her just incase (and also because of aforementioned embarrassment :lol: )

Either way, had an amaaaaazing time, the Tunstall is really on top form, beautiful vocals, and it's great to see the WB being used as much as ever again, the tricks she pulls with all that equipment is really impressive!! Lots of echo too which was gorgeous, all songs have been put together brilliantly!

Oh and also - shame I forgot my camera - the lighting was really nice!

If anyone is still in doubt over going to see her, i just say 'GET THAT BLOODY TICKET ALREADY!'
Any KT fan should have seen at least one gig of this tour.

Last edited by Kim on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:39 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Sounds like a good gig..but what do you mean, she aint coming out to meet the fan's??..course she is.

ANDY B.. :smt023

Last edited by Andy B on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:04 pm 

It was atoms for peace the band she did the cover from :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 pm 

Andy B wrote:
Sounds like a good gig..but what do you mean, she aint coming out to meet the fan's???..if thats true than thats a bit off..and wierd..

ANDY B.. :smt023

I dunno why, but I'm sure she's got her reasons, we've already been lucky enough in the past, and I'm sure she will do so again in the future!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next