All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jam Bands
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:56 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

I had to LOL at your comment about "Classic rock stations are still a niche" over there. Nobody ever accused the Europeans as being stuck in the past (and I mean that as a sincere compliment.) Sadly, classic rock is all you get in the midwest huge stations, and you have to hit up low power college stations to get some decent new or alternative. I blame the "Golden Oldie" generation who seem to have it stuck in their head that there hasn't been any new music out since the Eagles or Lynyrd Skynyrd (eyeroll.) I also blame the oversaturation of "new country", which is to say that if you are really into country music, you can find all you want/need for bleeding new artists on high power stations here. BTW, we have plenty of "pop" stations too but you better have a serious like of Rap and GaGa for those stations.

I'll send you my address PM. But I could access high speed if they were available somewhere too. It's entirely up to you. FLAC is fine, easier to steer to other formats that way. I don't have a preference of soundboard or audience at this time. No warrant to be picky on this one. :smt023

Yes, Sirius Jam On is the station I refer. They are giving the Crowes plenty of airtime, sadly not enough for Panic right now though. Guess they will once Panic does their annual three shows at Red Rocks in June (which they stream live BTW.)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

I think I'd find it annoying if you had to dig that deep for a bit of variety here (not that I tend to listen to the radio much anyway). We have quite a few stations which play indie/alternative - even more if you get hold of a digital radio (which is subscription free) - but you also get things like Warren Haynes getting an hour-long show on his new album on BBC Radio 2 at 7pm the other week, which is pretty cool :) Most of the bases are covered here!

The only location I'm aware of where you could still find the shows are torrents and they almost certainly won't have enough seeders on them to let you download at high speeds - it'll just be easier to send you something through the post. I'll try and get a mixture of Crowes eras to you (and chances are there'll be some officially released stuff on there too) although I have virtually no shows with Audley Freed on (1998-2001).

Have you ever seen a show live at Red Rocks? The Crowes did their last Ford-era show there and other than the Paradiso, it's the gig venue in the world I'd most like to go to :smt023

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 pm 

Andy L wrote:
Have you ever seen a show live at Red Rocks? The Crowes did their last Ford-era show there and other than the Paradiso, it's the gig venue in the world I'd most like to go to :smt023

I have only visited the park, and was able to get into the venue to snoop around (no show.) Seeing a live performance there is on my list of things to do before I turn to ashes. Widespread Panic owns the place at this point with the record for most sellout shows in a row. They do three shows a year there and have now sold out #36, 37 and 38. I was talking to a former local about Red Rocks the other day and he said that it's become a draw of it's own now. People travel to go see their favorite artist perform.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 pm 

Just finished listening to a download of Widespread Panic's show from this last Sunday night when they closed the Bonnaroo Festival (US's weak equivalent of Glastonbury.) Holy crap, what fooking smoking set (as Andy B would say.) Added horns to their sound for half the set and it worked great.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:35 pm 

I'm digging much Joe Bonnamassa lately. Got tickets to see him in Mpls this coming October.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:22 pm 

Finally got round to listening to your WSP discs Paul, cheers! Minneapolis 2010-07-07 is currently in my ears at work and I quite like what I'm hearing - very early days but my initial impression is that some of the material reminds me of REM in some ways...

And the Tedeschi Trucks Band album SMOKES - one of the best albums of the year for sure :smt023 So excited about seeing them on the 29th :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:08 pm 

Cool beans Andy! I was at that MPLS show and you can see my pics of the show on FB. Just love John Bell's snarly vocals during Vampire Blues.

Each show presents it's own gems. It's hard to resist downloading every show (I did buy the Bonnaroo show from last week because it was particularly a hard rocking setlist).

I don't think the relative comparison to REM is a coincidence. They both started in Athen's Georgia at exactly the same time and both are considered equally dear to the residents in that town. In fact, I think they were both inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame the same year but not positive. They would do combined shows and join each other on stage. It's a shame REM doesn't tour much at all anymore but WSP is a rarity of an original band holding it together for 25 years anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:02 pm 

I was going to mention the GA thing but was in a hurry while writing my last post! I didn't realise they were of the same generation as REM though. I love Traffic's Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys and it was a pleasure to hear that in the Minneapolis setlist :) That's how I started listening to the Crowes at first, through their (Zep) covers and then moving onto their original material!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 pm 

Humorous story about Trucks/Tedeschi. I would watch youtubes of both and thought it was mighty suspicious they often showed up on stage together. I finally figured out they were married, doh!

WSP does a great cover of Riders on the Storm on the Birmingham set. Usually when they do a cover of a classic, they pick a nice long one so they can weave all sorts of their signature sounds into the song.

They also bring in guest artists to put a cool mix into the jam. The first song of Driving Songs album features record scratch by DJ Logic. DJ joins them often and it really adds a unique angle to their sound. Trucks usually joins them on stage for a few if they wind up playing the same festivals.

The more I listen to Black Crowes, the more I am convinced their sound could use a percussionist to put some artifact to their wonderful guitars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:59 am 

STPK wrote:
Humorous story about Trucks/Tedeschi. I would watch youtubes of both and thought it was mighty suspicious they often showed up on stage together. I finally figured out they were married, doh!

:lol: That's great! :lol:

And the Crowes had a percussionist for their 1995 tour and from 2009 (I think) onwards - but in terms of backing musicians, I always thought the two female backing singers they have make much more of a difference to the band's overall sound...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:11 pm 

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Widespread Panic announced a Minneapolis date yesterday for October 25th at the Orpheum. Then I realized that is the same night I am seeing Joe Bonamassa at the State just down the street. What rotten timing! Won't be surprised if KT announces a show for the same night a block over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 pm 

I would think they would sell larger venues if they could. They sell out 5000 seat places over here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:45 am 

STPK wrote:
ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Widespread Panic announced a Minneapolis date yesterday for October 25th at the Orpheum. Then I realized that is the same night I am seeing Joe Bonamassa at the State just down the street. What rotten timing! Won't be surprised if KT announces a show for the same night a block over.

Bonamassa and WSP on the same night!? Man, that's tough Paul... hard lines!

My adventures over the last month came to an end on the 18th - saw lots of great music and it's very likely that I'll never do a run like that (TTB, Gregg Allman, Amy LaVere, Crowes x5 in 19 days) again. TTB was probably the best of all the gigs from a technical perspective - quite jazzy and very high standard of musicianship as you'd expect. I counted 7 covers in a 13-song setlist too!

Last edited by Andy L on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:16 pm 

I have to catch up on your newest blog entry Andy, don't delete it for awhile.

It sure sounds like you had quite the jam adventure. Made me jealous in fact. I have yet to see a single show by anyone this summer. I live vicariously through you and the Panic fans posting on FB.

Not only having WSP and Bonamassa scheduled for the same night is very poor timing, but since the venues are practically across the street from each other makes it downright torture. I'm struggling to avoid buy WSP tickets because I really do want to see Joe Bon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm 

It was a great time indeed! And no need to worry, that blog's not going anywhere for a while :wink: Have been giving your WSP discs some airtime here at work this week :smt023

It really sounds like a promoter screwed up there, you would think the audiences for both artists would be pretty similar like yourself. I saw Bonamassa in 2008 and that was my favourite show of that year so I doubt you'll be disappointed, but still... it's not a choice you should have to make!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next