All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Lady GaGa?
Yes? 38%  38%  [ 22 ]
No? 50%  50%  [ 29 ]
After a few pints? 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: Lady GaGa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:12 am 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

blu wrote:
No other act is doing what she's doing

See this is the bit I don't like. They are! The music is very similar to whatever other pop is out there. And I can think of loads of artists who have dressed up a bit weird. In fact some of the most iconic ones have.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:22 am 
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster

Eimear wrote:
iwficon wrote:
Gaga will no doubt disappear without trace when the second (or third, if you like) album bombs. But I don't care what anyone says, Poker Face is a top pop tune.

I agree with you you here Matt. I do think some of her music (well, the singles at least, I HAVE tried to listen to the rest of the album and was just too embarassed to sit through most of it tbh) is really good pop. But I think she's trying way to hard to make herself into some kind of icon when she's barely been around a year and the quality of the music doesn't really back up this ambition. The majority of the singles do but... y'know

I think she takes herself way to seriously. Oh yes of course there's a deeper meaning to "out in the club and I'm sipping that bub and you're not gonna reach my telephone". No. It's a song about someone trying to call you and you don't want to talk to them and you're out clubbing.

I wish she'd just be a pop star (because that's what she is) and not try to be "art". I preferred it when she wasn't trying to "say something" with her videos and it was just, just dance. She annoyed me less then.

I agree with that whole statement Eims! Except I haven't bothered listening to her album....I do like Just Dance, Poker Face & LoveGame, but that's it. Other than that, her pretentiousness is rather on the annoying side.

KT Tunstall wrote:
Go for it lads! Ping their hair-bands into their eyes and come back victorious!
I still consider getting wasted as an artistic pursuit.
Music, too, can be a route out of places too dark to stay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:53 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

I like the video.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of her music, but I like her.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:13 pm 

Eimear wrote:
blu wrote:
No other act is doing what she's doing

See this is the bit I don't like. They are! [quote]
Who? I don't mind been proved wrong. :lol:

I'm not saying that Lady Gaga is is the best singer/songwriter in the world because there are waaaaaaaaay better ones out there who don't get the attention they deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:30 am 

Well people might not agree with me here, but I think her sound is similar to a lot of pop artists out there. Off the top of my head Beyoncé, Britney, Rihanna, Kesha (that tik tok song sounds a bit too much like Just Dance to me), Katy Perry, Cheryl Cole, Girls Aloud(?), The Saturdays, Shakira, La Roux... I dunno it all sort of sounds similar to me. Maybe not to others, especially people who are into that whole genre, it might be an unfair comparison for me to draw but there it is.

Also, I think her "style" of music is kind of inconsistent. If you listen to the album it kind of sounds like she's attempting to try her hand at different sounds to see what works. The singles are probably the ones that do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:32 pm 

Tik Tok does sound like Just Dance now you mention it!

I've totally forgotten what I was trying to say now. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:10 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Eimear wrote:
Well people might not agree with me here, but I think her sound is similar to a lot of pop artists out there. Off the top of my head Beyoncé, Britney, Rihanna, Kesha (that tik tok song sounds a bit too much like Just Dance to me), Katy Perry, Cheryl Cole, Girls Aloud(?), The Saturdays, Shakira, La Roux... I dunno it all sort of sounds similar to me. Maybe not to others, especially people who are into that whole genre, it might be an unfair comparison for me to draw but there it is.

Also, I think her "style" of music is kind of inconsistent. If you listen to the album it kind of sounds like she's attempting to try her hand at different sounds to see what works. The singles are probably the ones that do.

Agree totally...the trouble is so many people only listen to the commercial crap thats pumped to them continually by shite stations such as radio 1, or bloody X Factor, but i hve to disagree about La Roux though..she is totally different to the rest..gaga is just a Madonna wannabee, and all, the "naughty " videos have already been done by Christina Aguilera and most rap artists..so nothing new there..just like her "music"..cos lets be fair, she didn't write it did she?..nothing new at all.

ANDY B... :smt023

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:50 pm 

Well, actually she does write her own music. I don't see how that would change it's credibility or whatever it is you're trying to say about it but she does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fame_% ... ck_listing

I think I'm going to stop going on and on in this thread now. :lol: Not trying to be disrespectful to other people's tastes or even to Gaga, just saying I don't really get it.
Michel Gondry's comment pretty much sums up how I feel http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 09991.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:50 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Just for Andy B's benefit I'll repeat the fact that Elvis Presley co-wrote THREE number one singles in 30 years. Gaga's done that in 18 months.

It proves nothing. It's no indication of talent and or/quality. It's not even an indication of lasting appeal.

But it is a fact.

Oh, and on another point it would be a bit unfair to criticise Lady Gaga for sounding like Kesha when Tik Tok was released a year after Let's Dance :lol:

As for La Roux? "Their" sound is basically down to that fella in the background listening to too many 80's electro CD's. It's about as innovative and new as Cliff Richard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

If you put Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Madonna and Rihanna into a blender (tempting I know :p ), you'd end up with Gaga.

By all means like it (after all, some of it is perfectly okay pop music!), but groundbreaking or original she is not.

EG.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:29 pm 

iwficon wrote:
Oh, and on another point it would be a bit unfair to criticise Lady Gaga for sounding like Kesha when Tik Tok was released a year after Let's Dance :lol:

Oh as much as I'm tiptoeing around not outright insulting Gaga, I REALLY HATE KESHA. :lol: It's sort of unfounded but she's just an unwashed annoying teenager (no idea how old she actually is, this is just the impression I have of her) and I just plain don't like her music. I don't even think it's "good if you like that type of thing". Definitely having a go at her, not Gaga, for the similarities there. I'm just surprised no one mentioned that they're basically the same song before :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:07 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Quote:
The Hidden Meaning of Lady Gaga’s “Telephone”
Mar 14th, 2010 | By Vigilant | Category: Vigilant Reports

Lady Gaga’s 9-minute video featuring Beyoncé is steeped in weirdness and shock value. Behind the strange aesthetic, however, lies a deeper meaning, another level of interpretation. The video refers to mind control and, more specifically, Monarch Programming, a covert technique profusely used in the entertainment industry. We’ll look at the occult meaning of the video “Telephone”.

Just when I thought I’d written everything I had to write about Lady Gaga, Telephone comes out. An inevitable deluge of e-mails instantly followed, demanding an article about it. So I watched the video and, gosh darnit, the people who wrote those e-mails were right. There are, yet again, a whole bunch of Illuminati/mind control symbols in Lady Gaga’s latest video. I can’t say I was surprised, however, knowing that Jonas Akerlund co-wrote and directed the video. In the article Lady Gaga, the Illuminati puppet (which I suggest you read before this one), I dissected the Akerlund-directed video Paparazzi and its references to mind-control programming. Telephone acts as a sequel to Paparazzi, where Gaga still plays the role of a mind-controlled drone who kills people. This concept is never openly discussed by the artists when they are asked to explain their videos because it is not meant to be understood for the masses. The hidden meaning of the video actually depicts the elite’s contempt for the general population, hence the scene of ritual murder of average Americans in a diner by mind-controlled slaves. Don’t know what the hell I’m talking about? Keep reading.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3423

^my solo project innit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:40 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

I love all this illuminati stuff aswell, it's interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:54 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Location: Paris, France, Europe, World, Universe, Solar System, Galaxy
The Judist wrote:
Quote:
The Hidden Meaning of Lady Gaga’s “Telephone”
Mar 14th, 2010 | By Vigilant | Category: Vigilant Reports

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3423

Interesting reading, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:40 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Eimear wrote:
Well, actually she does write her own music. I don't see how that would change it's credibility or whatever it is you're trying to say about it but she does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fame_% ... ck_listing

I think I'm going to stop going on and on in this thread now. :lol: Not trying to be disrespectful to other people's tastes or even to Gaga, just saying I don't really get it.
Michel Gondry's comment pretty much sums up how I feel http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... 09991.html

oh well..and stop trying to put gaga in the same category as Presley..or even in the same sentence..this man came along, a bit like Bill Haley, and put rock n roll on the map, she cme along..and has become extemely dull, boring and...welll...Madonna any day really..far more talented...

ANDY B... :smt023

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next