All times are UTC

Post subject: Highlands & Islands Tour 2016
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:43 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

Hi all :smt039

Just came across a file in my mailbox reading 'KT gig-reports' and as I got to reading, I just laughed my head off (whilst all the while feeling also slightly, alright, mighty embarrassed because of certain anekdotes as well). And I just thought, this needs a follow-up!

So I actually thought I'd be mostly talking to myself on here but then I suddenly find more gig reports so here goes!!

Highlands & Islands... After some serious personal sh*t that happened to me in the first half of 2016, there couldn't have been a better timing for KT to announce this tour. KT AND Highlands?! HELL. YEAH. So threw out some strings on FB and booked up for Inverness and Aberdeen, to also meet up with Dave, Jules and Dawn.

Decided to come a day early to get a bit of a Highland fix as well and went to visit Culloden and did a mighty cheesy/predictable tourist trip to Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle before the gig and meeting up with everyone else. Saw the sun. Saw some rain. Saw a RAINBOW. It was quite gorgeous, have to say :smt052

So after heading back to town we met up, had some drinks and Jules and Dawn went to queue around half 4ish I think. Dave had conveniently introduced me to Highland Park whisky and added in a cider at the same time, so it took me a while to down that. So whilst finishing the latter (whisky first, priorities :roll: ) Jules runs in all of a sudden, saying we're meant to go in for soundcheck. Like, what?!

Apparently they'd run into KT and she'd invited them for soundcheck and sweet as Jules is, he says 'Kim's here too'. To which apparently KT had enthousiastically said 'to go get her then!'. And so he did. Thanks Jules! :smt058

And seriously, I said this thing to Sherry on twitter, but aren't you supposed to just be 'cool' about stuff when you're 27? Apparently the answer is 'no'. You get just as giddy at 27 as you do at 15.
God did I hate myself for it hahahaha. What's even worse, we came into the Ironworks and I just couldn't even stop myself from doing a frantic wave to the stage :smt005

So we find ourselves in the Ironworks, watching the band soundcheck, which was totally cool :D Don't think I've actually been at a proper soundcheck before either. Anyway, afterward we just figured we'd go back outside. But just as we were standing there all of a sudden KT comes running around the corner waving a cd. For me. And I actually wondered whether she'd remember me at all. How stupid of me. Or perhaps that she'd think 'have I still not lost her?!' :lol: But either her poker face rocks real bad or she was really genuinely glad I came over. I believe it was the latter. So, I was totally chuffed, like really! Got a big hug too :smt052

She didn't have a sharpie on her though and neither did we, so we had to go in search for one. Going back the way she came though we, well, she, found herself locked out. So we were standing at the back door. Closed. So what does one do then? You try kick the door in, of course :lol: Despite her best efforts it didn't work though. So in the end, we just had to go back to the front door. So ordinary :roll: :lol: I reckon we could've actually done that straight away as well as we were standing in front of it to begin with, but anyhoo :smt005

Anyway, chatted a wee bit about Scotland and then we got to talk about the 'Fire Alarm Song'. Which I actually thought was a new track off the album during soundcheck, but it was just a joke!! It had a good vibe to it though! But apparently, someone of the crew (Lea?) had made the fire alarm go off on one of the previous gigs and they'd tried to produce some contra noise to block it out during the gig. Said she should deffo keep it in though as it rocked. (We eventually got it the next night in Aberdeen, probably after some mastering ;-) )
So, found sharpie inside, cd signed and off we went for a bite before the gig (thank god we had time for that as I'd had just whisky and other boozy stuff on a bare stomach :shock: ).

Gig was IMMENSE. I had missed the band so much during the solo tour, although I loved it on its own as well it's just a totally different experience. And these guys she's got with her now know how to get the place rockin' quite properly, they're great!! And Solomon, he's just too kool 4 skool. His hair, glasses and moves are awesome 8) I've to remind myself to catch a pic with him cause he totally rules! Drums still have my heart always though, go Denny! :-D

We got nearly all uptempo tunes, lots from DF: If Only, Little Favours, Hold On, Funnyman and SMF. Of course OSOTW, BHATCT and SIS and only just Feel it All from IECM and lots of the new stuff. Hard Girls, Everything Has Its Shape, ITMSLTGHBHIA, Maybe It's a Good Thing and Evil Eye of course! Which seems to be about voodoo/cursing someone that f*cked with you.
But the song that really has to be my all time fave is THE HEALER!!! Bloody hell I think I love it even more than PTKA. Just incredible live, place was on fire!!!
She also did a cover by the Boss with Julie Fowlis, Statetrooper. Awesome.

Loved how during the Aberdeen show, she was completely mocking the 4 hour long Boss gigs though, like, impressive but... She herself would probably just come in late :lol:

TBC, I'm falling asleep :p

Post subject: Re: Highlands & Islands Tour 2016
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:47 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Wow Kim, sounds great, fantastic write up!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:42 pm 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Aww that was an awesome review, Kim. Can't wait to see her on Sunday! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:38 am 

Ha thanks! And I wasn't even done yet :lol: But there's sort of a lack of response so I didn't really hurry for the rest... Might write it up a little later.

But more importantly, where's YOUR review? I think the housegig deserves its own thread don't ya think? :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:09 pm 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

House gig? What house gig? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:26 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

Great review, Kim! :smt005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:39 pm 

Mis wrote:
House gig? What house gig? ;)

Hahaha..

Great review Kim! I would have loved to sit in on a sound check!