All times are UTC

Post subject: KT's return to Japan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:42 am 
No-name Mandolin from eBay
No-name Mandolin from eBay

The first time in almost three years since August 2011 and her fourth tour in this country, it started last night (14th) at the Billboard Live, Osaka. She played two shows, 18:30 and 21:30, in front of an audience of about 300 each.
I attended the second show. I can't say I'm a big fan of Invisible Empire/Crescent Moon, "KT going Americana/alt-country", but the show was beyond my lukewarm expectation. It is right up there with her best shows I have seen over here. 
This is her first solo tour in Japan, so we witnessed "Wee Bastard" in full throttle for the first time, which enchanted the crowd -- bit strange as the loop pedal is made in Japan, I think.
One of the highlights of the show is that KT played Alchemy with the handmade guitar given by an Osakan fan as a present in 2008. It was a beautiful craft, ornamented with black horse on the pick guard and cherry flower petal inlays along the fretboard. Her comment; "This is a homecoming for the guitar."
She also mentioned that she was so glad to be in Japan during the cherry blossom season and hoped to be back here around the same time in the future, and then launched into Black Horse And The Cherry Tree, a memorable moment and another highlight.
Before the show, I was afraid how she could be confident with the Billboard, a rather posh, lounge-type venue, but her unpretentious manner and personality won over again -- the show went down extremely well, and the crowd stood up, clapping their hands enthusiastically to Suddenly I See that closed the encore.

Set list (2nd set):

Invisible Empire
Stoppin' the Love
White Bird
Other Side of the World
Saving My Face
Through the Dark
Yellow Flower
Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
Feel it All
Alchemy
Hidden Heart
Hold On

Encore:

Crescent Moon
Default (Atoms For Peace cover)
Suddenly I See

Show duration: 1 hour and 20 minutes

Last edited by theotherside on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: KT's return to Japan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:26 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Lovely to see a gig review on here - thanks! Sounds like a great show :D

8/4/08 Ipswich Regent, 13/9/09 Harvest at Jimmy's, 19/10/10 The Junction, Cambridge, 17/11/13 Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, 28/11/15 Royal Albert Hall (Jools Holland), 10/12/15 BFI (Live score performance), 31/5/16 The Tabernacle, London, 6/11/16 Cambridge Corn Exchange, 9/11/16 Shepherds Bush Empire

Post subject: Re: KT's return to Japan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Thanks for filling us in on the gig. Glad you enjoyed it' :D