All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oct/Nov UK & Ireland tour 2013
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:03 pm 
Tiny Tim's Ukelele
Tiny Tim's Ukelele

Old Rocker wrote:
Been a low key KT supporter since the early Jools days. Been a bit worried about the no band aspect of this tour but that was forgotten within minutes. Not sure if it was billed as sold out but effectively it was (1500 seats approx)... great to see folks turn out for her.

Great mixed set & some good banter made for an enjoyable evening.

Billy Lockett was good as support too... we nearly planned to go late to avoid the support.. glad we didn't.

Good to read the above, as I was a bit worried about the no band thing too, so the above is quite encouraging, and certainly compared to lots of people who post on here, I am definitely a low key fan. I'm more bothered about it being a Sunday and hopefully no engineering works on the rail, but rather looking forward to the venue as, to me, that adds to the enjoyment. I'm talking about Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. (I'm sure I saw a musical there a few years ago. "Cats" maybe?).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

It wouldn't have been Cats as that was never on there.

I've seen My Fair Lady, Oliver, Shrek and Charlie & The Chocolate Factory and its my favourite theatre in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:50 am 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

joodywoody wrote:
Old Rocker wrote:
Been a low key KT supporter since the early Jools days. Been a bit worried about the no band aspect of this tour but that was forgotten within minutes. Not sure if it was billed as sold out but effectively it was (1500 seats approx)... great to see folks turn out for her.

Great mixed set & some good banter made for an enjoyable evening.

Billy Lockett was good as support too... we nearly planned to go late to avoid the support.. glad we didn't.

Good to read the above, as I was a bit worried about the no band thing too, so the above is quite encouraging, and certainly compared to lots of people who post on here, I am definitely a low key fan. I'm more bothered about it being a Sunday and hopefully no engineering works on the rail, but rather looking forward to the venue as, to me, that adds to the enjoyment. I'm talking about Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. (I'm sure I saw a musical there a few years ago. "Cats" maybe?).

I think you will enjoy the show - I saw her in Brighton - the songs are great - the singing is impeccable - but there is something missing - a band! - no energy - no excitement - for me a 90 minutes acoustic set is far too long and becomes quite tedious - I did not stay for the encore - I hope she has a band with her for next tour - having said that the audience seemed to really enjoy her set - and the CD she is promoting does ot require a band to showcase it - but there again I find her new CS tedious as have a number of professional reviewers in the media - KT is extremely talented and an energetic performer - I am thinking this CD and the show is something she may feel she has to get out her system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:56 am 

Eimear wrote:
Well I will say this album hasn't seem to have had as much of an impact as KT has had with other albums. The album is good and the fan base is there I think maybe she just doesn't seem to be being very well promoted this time around.

The venues not being sold out is strange, especially when they're not that big. Initially I had only bought a ticket for Liverpool as it was a Saturday, then when I realised there were 3 gigs in Ireland while I was on midterm break I checked and could've gotten a ticket for any of the 3.

I don't know if this was just me being paranoid while I was on my own but in Belfast I noticed it was an older crowd than usual. I know there are plenty of older fans, but normally at KT's gigs I'd see much more people my own age, like 20s to 30s anyway. I definitely felt there were much fewer people around my age, which is odd. Isn't it? Or is that just me....

I noticed this in Brighton too - the audience were much older than I ever seen before for a KT gig - and it was an all seated gig - I suspect she is now attracting the Radio 2 crowd!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:00 pm 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

In a few hours, KT will take the stage at Birmingham Symphony Hall (http://www.thsh.co.uk/symphony-hall) and on Saturday at Liverpool Symphony Hall (http://www.liverpoolphil.com); both are gorgeous venues which hold 2,200+ and 1,600+ people respectively. Birmingham has some open seats in the nose-bleed section and the Liverpool show is completely sold out. Nice! Yet, it’s so ironic that KT is playing these symphony halls…but not with their symphonies…or any symphony…anytime in her career…as far as I know. Consistent with so many of my previous comments, “how is this possible?” It’s not unusual these days for contemporary artists to play with symphonies. How cool if KT would collaborate with the London Philharmonic (http://www.lpo.org.uk) or maybe the Berlin Symphony (http://www.dso-berlin.de) or even the mighty St. Andrew Orchestra (http://www.standreworchestra.org) for hometown pride. Personally, one of my all-time favorite collaborations happened when the Scorpions played with the Berlin Symphony at Hannover Expo 2000. Listening to and watching “Winds of Change” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCArI8S6jro) is simply majestic. Moreover, I suspect KT would relish the challenge of co-creating the arrangements for her songs. I’ve attended several of these type shows over the years, including sold-out performances by Brandi Carlile with the Seattle Symphony in 2008, 2010 (for sale “Live at Benaroya Hall”) and 2012, and loved every one of them! (In case you’re curious, Seattle’s Benaroya Hall holds 2,500+ people and Brandi sold-out multiple performances for every engagement.) Am I, once again, transferring my hopes and dreams onto KT (of which I stand accused) or is this polite suggestion an absolute no-brainer which could and should have happened years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:13 pm 

It's the sort of thing I would enjoy but not really KT's thing I don't think. I have seen her do big band style with the Jools Holland symphony orchestra.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:22 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

Long time since I have posted on here.

Seeing KT in Liverpool on Saturday, looking forward to it. Be interesting to see how it compares to previous concerts of hers that I have been to.

Travel great distance in your mind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:27 pm 

Nope, cannot see her doing any collaboration with a symphony and I doubt I would bother to attend if I had the chance. <gasp!>

In a nutshell....it's all about the looper. It would be like taking her security blanket away. I cannot see how they could make the looper work with an orchestra. This is probably why I prefer her without a band at this point, the looping work she did with Chimes at Mpls was beyond words. She stands apart from other artists with her masterful use of that looper and it's probably my biggest attraction to her.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 pm 

STPK wrote:
Nope, cannot see her doing any collaboration with a symphony and I doubt I would bother to attend if I had the chance. <gasp!>
STPK, I think of you as the brother I already have, but are you nuts?

STPK wrote:
In a nutshell....it's all about the looper. It would be like taking her security blanket away. I cannot see how they could make the looper work with an orchestra.
"Security blanket"? You honestly believe KT would be lost without her loop pedals? So if there was a freak power surge just before a show and all the loop pedals died, she'd come on stage, make a few self-deprecating remarks, promise a refund, and have an unexpectedly early night? You've truly lost your mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:24 pm 

I've seen her perform without the loop pedal (by choice). She stumbled through.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 pm 

Nat wrote:
It's the sort of thing I would enjoy but not really KT's thing I don't think.
Nat, you dislike all of IE/CM even in person. So is KT losing her way? Is it possible that "her thing" is evolving while you're happy just the way things were? Just think, you can now say a la Bowie fans everywhere, "I love KT, I mean the early stuff of course."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:28 pm 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

I liked seeing her with a big band at Jools Holland but no, i wouldn't want that to be her normal set up. :lol: She's all about the pedal, that's her USP and she's still rocking it, in my opinion.
So excited to see her in the infamous Drury Lane on Sunday! :smt026

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:42 pm 

*Titch* wrote:
She's all about the pedal, that's her USP and she's still rocking it, in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more that KT's use of the pedals is pure genius and so much fun to watch on stage. That said, I don't believe the pedals are indispensable. She's more than capable of blowing us away without any gadgets however cool.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:03 pm 

DavidESQ wrote:
Nat wrote:
Nat, you dislike all of IE/CM even in person. So is KT losing her way? Is it possible that "her thing" is evolving while you're happy just the way things were? Just think, you can now say a la Bowie fans everywhere, "I love KT, I mean the early stuff of course."

I'm pretty sure I'm offended by this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 pm 

Nat wrote:
DavidESQ wrote:
Nat wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm offended by this post.
Not my intent at all, Nat. Maybe I don't understand why you dislike all of IE/CM? As for the Bowie analogy, it's a light-hearted cliché often used in the USA even about things having nothing to do with music. My apologies if you've taken offense to any of my words.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next