All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oct/Nov UK & Ireland tour 2013
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:14 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

^Or it could be that these TV shows (Leno, Ellen, etc) are not watched as much as they used to be. The saturation of the 'idol' type shows draws most of the American viewers, leaving less of an audience for music at other times.

It is too bad that almost all of the shows that showcase artists are on the PBS stations and no real prime time shows like what you see in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:01 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Ellen, Leno and Conan are still very popular but certainly not to the "Jackass" series demographic. They are traditionally always 35 and older demographic and it could easily explain why KT's crowds are showing up older.

But it's no different than most other good music shows I attend. Widespread Panic, Tedeshi Trucks, Joe Bonamassa, etc are pulling in the same age groups and all us old people have a blast at these shows. It's probably sad for Nat but KT is appealing to us old people right now. :smt043

I'm thinking KT doesn't care. Maybe Tiger Suit was an attempt to stay young and relevant. I'm thinking she does better with blues, folk and easy listening as it suits her voice and guitar much better. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:49 am 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Nat wrote:
For me, its down to the lack of impact from Invisible Empire. I've seen her what..63 times? :lol: and on this tour im "only" doing 3 dates because I don't like the album. Which I understand is still a lot but to a casual fan maybe if they didn't like the album maybe they wouldn't bother at all.
Yeah but you're in nappies and you like Taylor Swift :p

DavidESQ wrote:
Can you even imagine listening to KT perform on a street corner or imagine listening to an audition tape and thinking, "She sure gets an A for effort but I just don't see her going anywhere." Clowns, every last one of them.
You're such a polite chap. I would use another word beginning with 'c' that also has an 'n' in it before ending with a 't'.

Which reminds me, any casual lurkers with a spare Basingrad or London ticket or two going, hit me up.

^my solo project innit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 am 

The Judist wrote:
Yeah but you're in nappies and you like Taylor Swift :p

Hey...I like Taylor Swift too! :smt023

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:56 am 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

It's weird Jude because you were so nice in person, but just an absolute fud online.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:05 am 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

DavidESQ wrote:
Stay tuned for random thoughts about KT’s performance in Galway (other than a venue description). :smt023

So you already have a feel for the Galway venue and you have a good idea which songs KT likely played. So these last random thoughts for Ireland occurred while I watched KT in Galway so they technically count.

Have you ever stopped to appreciate KT’s vocal range? Not only in terms of sound but also style. How can the same person perform songs so different at such a high level? Take Alchemy and Miniature Disasters, for example. Listen to Yellow Flower and Push That Knot Away in succession: One belongs in a tucked-away piano bar with low lighting and cigarette smoke wafting through the air; the other at a hip discotheque complete with hydraulic dance platforms and throbbing house music so loud you can’t hear your own thoughts.

Have you ever noticed KT’s physical demeanor when she’s in “the zone”? She steps back from the microphone, lowers her head, and focuses her eyes downward. No smile. No “that’s sh*t; you won’t remember it anyway.” She is alone with her guitar and we just get to witness it. Watch KT during her guitar riff in Feel it All, for example. It’s both intense and beautiful. She knows exactly how she intends it to sound, and exactly how she intends if to feel…for her…and for you. It’s an awesome sight.

Ok, this last random thought is absolutely a gratuitous put down of the people of Ireland and to be fair, on people everywhere. Why does it take most folks in an audience so long to recognize Black Horse and a Cherry Tree? First, what else could KT possibly be previewing when she says in several variations "Want to go on a horse ride?" Is the audience expecting to see KT mount an actual horse, which has been waiting quietly stage left, and ride up and down the aisles? I really wonder. KT then starts recording the backing track with her guitar, tambourine, and loop pedals. Ok, maybe this doesn’t give it away. But how do you not recognize the clapping and “who hoo" sounds you've heard so many times? Remember, you’ve already been told this song has something to do with horses and no actual horse has yet made an appearance. KT then begins to play the actual melody and…nothing. To paraphrase the late Robert Palmer, the lights are on but no one’s home even now. It’s hard to fathom that most people in an audience have their “omg I love this song” moment only after the lyrics begin which seems an eternity since KT’s “horse ride” clue which a 3rd grader should be able to figure out. Am I being unfair?

Fare-thee-well, good people of the Board. I had a fun time in Ireland and look forward to show number 59 when it happens??? And, no, I'm not giving up on my crusade for KT to receive the recognition she deserves. One of the most talented musicians and gifted singer/songwriters on the planet should not be playing crap venues. It's wonderful if KT prefers intimate venues, but crap is never intimate. It's just crap.
:smt006

Last edited by DavidESQ on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:58 am 

DavidESQ wrote:
Have you ever stopped to appreciated KT’s vocal range? Not only in terms of sound but also style. How can the same person perform songs so different at such a high level? Take Alchemy and Miniature Disasters, for example. Listen to Yellow Flower and Push That Knot Away in succession: One belongs in a tucked-away piano bar with low lighting and cigarette smoke wafting through the air; the other at a hip discotheque complete with hydraulic dance platforms and throbbing house music so loud you can’t hear your own thoughts.

Well that is precisely one reason I am a rabid follower. She effortlessly makes it sweet and soulful or raunchy and bouncy. But I would prefer she take that plunge and do a full blues/jazz album, because I know she could pull that off.

DavidESQ wrote:
Have you ever noticed KT’s physical demeanor when she’s in “the zone”? She steps back from the microphone, lowers her head, and focuses her eyes downward. No smile. No “that’s sh*t; you won’t remember it anyway.” She is alone with her guitar and we just get to witness it. Watch KT during her guitar riff in Feel it All, for example. It’s both intense and beautiful. She knows exactly how she intends it to sound, and exactly how she intends if to feel…for her…and for you. It’s an awesome sight.

Absolutely know what you are referring to. Sometimes she does not lower her head but instead, gazes in the distance, not focusing on anything. I can tell she is lost in the song when she hits that point and it only makes me get that much deeper into the song. That sounds sort of creepy in a way. :smt043

DavidESQ wrote:
Ok, this last random thought is absolutely a gratuitous put down on the people of Ireland and to be fair, on people everywhere. Why does it take most folks in an audience so long to recognize Black Horse and a Cherry Tree?

Can't speak for the Irish but it seems like Mpls audiences know when that song is coming. I wouldn't say we all jump up and down and scream like Beatles fans but there is a sort of "wake-up, here it comes" moment in all the shows I've seen. Same goes for SIS.

DavidESQ wrote:
Be well, great people of the KT Tunstall Board. I had a great time in Ireland and look forward to show #59 when it happens??? And, no, I'm not giving up on my crusade for KT to receive the recognition she deserves. One of the most talented musicians and gifted singer/songwriters on the planet should not be playing crap venues. It's wonderful if KT prefers intimate venues, but crap is never intimate. It's just crap.
:smt006

I think you are empathizing too much my friend. Every artist deserves the ultimate venue but few can actually dictate the terms of their surroundings. It begs an interesting question though. If KT had a machine behind her driving her image, could she be as big as Taylor Swift? Obviously there is a demographic problem there. I consider Sarah Jarosz every bit as, or more talented than Taylor Swift but she is stuck playing the small venues (even after being on Austin City Limits.) I think KT has already hit it big. She has 356k followers on FB, much more than big name artists. She is on all the major US tele-shows when she comes over here. The fact that she plays some run down venues could simply be her philopsophy of keeping it simple and cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:37 am 

Dave - one more song to appreciate KT's voice in - Made of Glass. Particularly in the live London gig. The purity and range is awesome.

I'm not entirely sure people don't recognize BHATCT when she gives the hint and starts queuing the WB. They just don't express it until she starts singing. You'll see that in a lot of audiences for different artists.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:01 pm 

Been a low key KT supporter since the early Jools days. Previously saw her at the Cambridge Junction in rocking mode with full band 3yrs ago... so had to go and see her last Friday at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Been a bit worried about the no band aspect of this tour but that was forgotten within minutes. Not sure if it was billed as sold out but effectively it was (1500 seats approx)... great to see folks turn out for her.

Great mixed set & some good banter made for an enjoyable evening.

Billy Lockett was good as support too... we nearly planned to go late to avoid the support.. glad we didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:20 pm 

I was at Brighton last night - the playing and singing was impeccable - and the crowd seemed to receive the set well - but for me 90 minutes acoustic is just too long and too quiet - and I longed for some electric guitar and drums - and some banging tunes as KT put it - I hope she plays with a full band next tour .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 pm 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

Question: has anyone met her after during this tour yet? I haven't seen any photos of people with her.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:32 pm 

Anna said she didn't come out in Norwich because she wasn't feeling 100% and didn't want to make herself ill for other gigs. Other than that ive heard nothing! Did you hang around?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:27 am 

Nat wrote:
Anna said she didn't come out in Norwich because she wasn't feeling 100% and didn't want to make herself ill for other gigs. Other than that ive heard nothing! Did you hang around?
I seem to recall Luke Bullen is from Norwich and his parents still live there. Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 am 

STPK wrote:
I think you are empathizing too much my friend. Every artist deserves the ultimate venue but few can actually dictate the terms of their surroundings. It begs an interesting question though. If KT had a machine behind her driving her image, could she be as big as Taylor Swift? Obviously there is a demographic problem there. I consider Sarah Jarosz every bit as, or more talented than Taylor Swift but she is stuck playing the small venues (even after being on Austin City Limits.) I think KT has already hit it big. She has 356k followers on FB, much more than big name artists. She is on all the major US tele-shows when she comes over here. The fact that she plays some run down venues could simply be her philopsophy of keeping it simple and cheap.
Hmm...too much empathy. Could be true; we just don't know what's in KT's head about the any of this stuff which is unusual given all the tv/radio/print interviews.

Speaking of Taylor Swift, I was in Phoenix, Arizona this weekend and visited the "Women Who Rock" exhibit (http://mim.org/exhibits/special-exhibit ... -who-rock/) on loan from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio (http://rockhall.com/exhibits/women-who-rock/). Swift is one of the artists profiled with video commentary and some cool memorabilia. Alas, KT did not make the cut. And, no, I did not stage a 1-person protest! But one of KT's biggest inspirations, Patti Smith, made the list. I had known very little about Patti's life and music but there are definite parallels. The exhibit is terrific and well-worth your time and money ($10).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm 

Nat wrote:

No I didn't in Belfast as I'd seen her in June and I have Liverpool coming up, so I have no idea if she actually did. Someone mentioned in this thread she didn't come out after Dublin either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next