All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oct/Nov UK & Ireland tour 2013
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:54 pm 
Tiny Tim's Ukelele
Tiny Tim's Ukelele

Wow that was a great gig. I don't know why I doubted it would be. Possibly, cos I read a few comments on here (everyone entitled to opinions of course, not blaming them). I think I was more put off a bit by the lack of any band and the possibility the gig may be rather downbeat, but hey, with all those foot pedals, who needs backing musicians, and she has such a great sense of humour and rapport with the audience aswell. Her voice is terrific, to me one of the best female singers around.

You know when you sometimes have doubts about whether you might enjoy something and then it turns out even better than you could imagine - well that's what I thought of the gig last night?

Billy Lockett was good too. Had a very quick word with him outside later.

Even for a "greybird" I would have liked to have stood up occasionally before the end, but I was in the Grand Circle, ie a bit high for the occasional vertigo (in my old age!), but the sound quality surpassed some of the other venues I have been to and I do think the venue is all important at gigs aswell. The advantage of being upstairs meant we could see the lovely effects of the lighting on the floor around her.

Re the "greybird! bit, I did smile to myself because I reckon, I wasn't the oldest there, but it wouldn't have bothered me if I was.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Fantastic gig at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester tonight! :smt023 This was my favourite solo KT gig and right up there with the very best of all her Manchester gigs with band. Great voice, superb selection of songs, amazing sound quality and lighting, and a wonderful vibe throughout. Great stuff KT!! :smt041

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:38 pm 

Kim wrote:
:smt007 :smt007 :smt007

Totally speechless, it was so incredibly great!!
So so so happy I could make this one, I wouldn't have want to have missed it for the world!!

But first: damn that's hard having to sit down!! :lol:
But clearly a lot of people have thought otherwise over the years, I think over half of all the seats in the venue were occupied by grey birds!! It was just one big sea of grey if you looked behind you! Where have they been hiding during all these years??
Luckily right behind us a couple of kids restored the balance a little :lol:
Then again, at some point we'll b old gits ourselves, at least we'll fit right in and we don't have to be embarrassed going to KT gigs together with the youth :p

Thanks to Steve we had gotten tickets in the front row, which was really great, especially seeing how big the venue was, quite impressive, and I think nearly full!

Billy Lockett was supporting, the first song I didn't like his voice much, but apparently it was just the one song cause all the rest was simply gorgeous and I totally loved his voice in those! He wrote a gorgeous song about a soldier telling his love to move on whilst he was away, really sad, but beautiful!

Then some 15 minutes later, the missus came on herself :D

It's not the right order but she played:

Invisible Empire
UTW - She was doing the WB and having us guess the song, it was an oldie. I didn't have a clue till she was well into building it all up though! Great to hear it again, still love it to bits!
Carried - YES SHE WRITES SONGS ABOUT DEATH!!!! :lol:
STL
Made of Glass - I'm only sporadically on the interweb anymore (for pleasure anyway) but I did read about the video being posted 'tomorrow' at the time, then tomorrow it took a while and then I got busy again and totally forgot about it! First thing I'll be doing when I get home. There's not even a topic on it on here either!
Yellow Flower - apparently this used to be a poem. Just lyrics and no music, whilst normally they come together at once. Then she proceeded to show us a little booklet, she's written it full of poems and it's for sale at the merch stand! There's quite a few in it, gonna read later on the plane back :)
Through the Dark
White Bird
BHATCT with Seven Nation Army - This was just torture sitting down!! I think by this time she recognised me though cause a beaming smile came on her face halfway through, probably from seeing me squirm in my seat as well :lol:
Golden Frames - Aside from alien abduction apparently this song is also about growing up, I didn't know that!
Default - Cover by Atomic something... 45? Sounded amazing though!
Feel It All
Alchemy
Crescent Moon - Are all you lot also putting the B-side on first when you're feeling naughty? :p
SIS - FINALLY WE COULD STAND UP and have proper party. Except that all the 'booth' people didn't join in but that might've been because of KT making a little fun of them earlier haha! She was talking about the venue and saying how cool the booths were, then proceeding to portray a picture of the people in there putting her chin in the air and putting on a posh accent, and THEN she also had the lights pointed on them all so we could have a look at them hahahaha! Oops.
Chimes

And at the end of the night, cherry on the cake making it even more special than it already was, finishing Chimes she came straight up our way for a high five, really sweet!!
After all the gigs I did I've become a little hesitant and am a bit embarrassed because of the number of times I've seen her (and moreover, flew over... :oops: ), so it's great to know she's still happy to see me :-D

We didn't hang around afterward since Kev had said she's not coming out all tour. I did see her when we were meeting up with Steve at the venue in the afternoon, but I didn't want to bother her just incase (and also because of aforementioned embarrassment :lol: )

Either way, had an amaaaaazing time, the Tunstall is really on top form, beautiful vocals, and it's great to see the WB being used as much as ever again, the tricks she pulls with all that equipment is really impressive!! Lots of echo too which was gorgeous, all songs have been put together brilliantly!

Oh and also - shame I forgot my camera - the lighting was really nice!

If anyone is still in doubt over going to see her, i just say 'GET THAT BLOODY TICKET ALREADY!'
Any KT fan should have seen at least one gig of this tour.

Cool review Kim. I was very sorry to miss this Liverpool gig (see gig tally for explanation!) but so pleased to get to Manchester
tonight. But oi about your "grey birds" comment - some of us have been there from the beginning all these years! :roll: :wink:

Last edited by Andy J on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:38 am 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

Hahaha!! Ach, I'm turning grey already as well, but I found out that you don't feel a thing!! :wink: :p

Glad you enjoyed Manc! So wish I could've stayed another night, went to see Daughter tonight here in Paradiso, which I'd been really looking forward to as well, but unfortunately for them (and me), so close after a KT gig no other gig can even come close to KT's :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:58 am 
No-name Mandolin from eBay
No-name Mandolin from eBay

Being ancient and sat so high I could shake hands with the pilots flying into Ringway I did not risk vertigo standing up. This was the best performance I have seen her give. Her voice was magnificent and her guitar playing and looping was stunning. The sound in the upper tiers of the Bridgewater had a little too much echo at times. Even Bach would have been jealous of her contrapuntal vocal loops in her final number. Now if she can just tour New Zealand in January so I can take my grandson to see her all will be well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:20 am 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

I'm just digging all these beaming reviews! Especially from the long time fans who were skeptical of her solo tour. I sure hope she can take a moment and read these. :smt023

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:10 am 

Kim wrote:
Hahaha!! Ach, I'm turning grey already as well, but I found out that you don't feel a thing!! :wink: :p

Glad you enjoyed Manc! So wish I could've stayed another night, went to see Daughter tonight here in Paradiso, which I'd been really looking forward to as well, but unfortunately for them (and me), so close after a KT gig no other gig can even come close to KT's :lol:

:smt005 Now I'm pretty certain you are not turning grey yet! I think we were both on bad form though managing to miss a KT gig!! :smt002

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 am 

stewrat wrote:
Being ancient and sat so high I could shake hands with the pilots flying into Ringway I did not risk vertigo standing up. This was the best performance I have seen her give. Her voice was magnificent and her guitar playing and looping was stunning. The sound in the upper tiers of the Bridgewater had a little too much echo at times. Even Bach would have been jealous of her contrapuntal vocal loops in her final number. Now if she can just tour New Zealand in January so I can take my grandson to see her all will be well.

So glad you enjoyed it! I know what you mean though about the high-up seats in the gallery - I saw Emeli Sande from there and the sound was not as good as KT from near the front of the circle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 am 

STPK wrote:
I'm just digging all these beaming reviews! Especially from the long time fans who were skeptical of her solo tour. I sure hope she can take a moment and read these. :smt023

Yes, let's hope KT still sneaks a look here every now and again!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:57 pm 
Tiny Tim's Ukelele
Tiny Tim's Ukelele

Here is the set list from KT's show at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester:

Invisible Empire
Old Man Song
Waiting on the Heart
Other Side of the World
White Bird
Yellow Flower
Lost
Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
Alchemy
Golden Frames
Feel it All
Made of Glass

Encore:

Crescent Moon
Suddenly I See
Chimes

I will be uploading some videos to Youtube soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 pm 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

She seems to change the first five or so around every night. I can't believe she did Lost? I would've liked to see that again

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 pm 

Ooooh I wish we'd gotten Waiting on the Heart as well, and Old Man Song!! :o

And Crowes. And Boys of Summer!

Alright, perhaps an all nighter isn't really realistic :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 pm 

Thanks for the set list Tony and looking forward to the You Tube videos! I meant to say before The Atoms for Peace cover (Default) was awesome and throughout the gig was the best use of the loop pedal I've ever seen by KT - amazing - as was the guitar playing. All round brilliance in fact! :smt023

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 pm 

Kim wrote:
Ooooh I wish we'd gotten Waiting on the Heart as well, and Old Man Song!! :o

And Crowes. And Boys of Summer!

Alright, perhaps an all nighter isn't really realistic :lol:

I think it's a good idea Kim! After all I saw Nerina Pallot last year perform ALL of her recorded songs over two three-hour gigs on successive nights in Salford: now there's an idea for KT! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

hi guys !

Sorry its been an age since I've posted on here (lifes been too crazy busy etc). Went to see KT last night in Manchester Bridgewater hall and it was just brilliant. I've just put my pictures from on flickr, link to the set below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcarlin ... 852641513/

Thanks!

Mark

flickr & fotolia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next