All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Glasgow Gig tonight
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:25 am 
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster

STPK wrote:
(think of it as checking into the website every few hours on your potty break....OK, maybe don't think of that.)

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the review, Kim :smt023 Glad you guys had a great time!

Image Image

Patty =)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:28 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Just to post the setlist and a few quick thoughts on the show:

Uummannaq Song
Madame Trudeaux
Glamour Puss
Under The Weather
Hold On
Other Side Of The World
Lost
Through The Dark
Universe & U
Scarlet Tulip
Skinny Lou
Alchemy
Black Horse And The Cherry Tree
Push That Knot Away
Stoppin' The Love
Fade Like A Shadow
Landslide
Suddenly I See

I thought this was the best show of the three I saw on the tour although I was disappointed not to get any songs I hadn't already heard previously at the other shows (Warrington and Edinburgh), especially when you consider what else has been played (Crows, Shanty, Miniature Disasters, The Entertainer etc). Having said that, KT pulled the stops out for this one in every other respect - the atmosphere and acoustics were brilliant and it had an intensity that the other two shows hadn't had, not that relaxed gigs are necessarily a bad thing. It was also at least ten minutes longer than the Warrington and Edinburgh shows and it was cool - and very funny - to hear her introduce songs (even Black Horse) with stories that we hadn't heard before. I want to give a special mention for Sam's performance too, it was on another level completely to those other two shows I saw and he kept making references to 'the people down the front who've been travelled to several gigs' :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

^Thanks Andy :D

I really love seeing Through The Dark on the setlist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:24 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

The resurrection of TTD for the Solo Shows has been such a joy. On the North American leg, it was a standard piece of the encore, so by Minneapolis we kind of knew to expect it, but seeing her play that song in person was really, really special.

Z.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

Wow. I can't believe I didn't even realise we didn't get Mini D's even though it has been an ETTT fave of mine for ages and I've kinda missed it. But the rest of the set was so good, both of them, that I didn't miss it at all! I don't feel (ok apart from OSOTW maybe) that any song was even close to feeling like repetition for me, it was so different being solo!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:18 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

And the Glasge one!

GIG REVIEW – KT Tunstall – The Scottish Leg November 2011

Sunday 13th November, Glasgow – The Arches
Well after 9 KT gigs in just a tick over 12 months, I came to my 13th and final for the foreseeable future. Cold turkey maybe a strange experience; it was a gap of18 months between my 4th and 5th KT gigs, but the gap then didn’t matter, the way my Tunstall fixation has grown in the Tiger Suit campaign it will matter with not just the music but the nutjob community to miss also.We visited MacSorley’s just round the corner from The Arches where KT had played on her free Rub-A-Dub-Dub (Pub) tour in August 2010 to debut Tiger Suit material and had a comfortable day queuing as we could be inside on the sofas at the Arches…I don’t think they knew what had hit them with the size of the queue when the doors opened.

I thought I was losing the buzz in Edinburgh, I think in reflection I was actually just sensing the lower enthusiasm of the rest of the room, but this gig just re-affirmed to me that I never will. This gig will hold a special place in many people’s hearts, bringing to an end the Tiger Suit era, as KT performed a wonderful (if not heavily modified from Edinburgh) set with plenty of gusto and response from the crowd.

KT, by her own modest evaluation, thought she was singing the best she had done in the whole tour…but she was worried that her best performances (both live and studio based) seemed to follow a heavy session and it’s subsequent hangover. It was certainly a fabulous performance and she treated us to an 18-song set as apposed to 16 on the other dates by added Under The Weather and Alchemy and swapping in Madame Trudeaux (suggesting Sam Cam should run off with Eminem) and Universe and U.

Tunstall got great feedback during Under The Weather, with it sung in its entirety by the crowd who also finished off Otherside Of The World when proffered by KT. “The Arches Beat Box” gag worked better here than in Edinburgh as we got a long way into “We Will Rock You” before KT started Hold On.

For me the highlights were getting Universe & U back in the set…another song from the core of Eye To The Telescope that I really love, along with Miniature Disasters, which followed her piano solo (the Rakmanninov style ending to Through The Dark is getting better) by setting the percussion up on the loop as she had previously on Golden Frames and Beauty Of Uncertainty.

Having Alchemy again (and therefore getting a recording of it) was great. KT says it is her favourite song from the new EP (“don’t tell the other songs…they may get upset”) and I couldn’t agree more. The only down side to having done only three gigs on this tour is that I’ve managed to hit all the ones where KT’s played Scarlet Tulip & Skinny Lou and have therefore missed out on such as Shanty Of The Whale (which she did really well from the pulpit of The Union Chapel).

Sadly our prepared joke of shouting “you killed Kenny” at KT during Stopping The Loving and the “human trumpet” section, which would have been the realm of Mr Dickenson, went down like a stone. KT said afterwards she didn’t know how to come back to that (and she can put down any heckler with ease normally)…apologies ensued as it sounded better, as with all failed jokes and witticisms, when we formulated it.

Fade Like A Shadow felt great with a full front barrier “snake-hipping” session.

Landslide continues to grow on me – we’ve got the “Stevie Nicks is totally awesome” bit stuck in our heads – I think the lyrics are already sticking after only 3 goes. It’s rare that KT does a bad cover version, she always makes it her own by adding her own personal quirks to it, sometimes it takes a few listens (like Close To Me on the February tour) or some just hit straight away (like 2,000 miles or Fairytale Of New York).

KT closed with Suddenly, telling us how much she appreciates fans, crew, supports and the fact that we keep spending our ever-dwindling cash on her. She speculated a next tour date “it will be when I’m back with a brilliant fourth album” – as Steve said she’s earned herself time with us due to how good Tiger Suit has been.

KT also elaborated when we net her afterwards how much she has enjoyed the solo tour, it’s opened her eyes, allowed her to bring back the ‘slowies’ and ‘oldies’, but to look forward at what she wants to do next…suggesting KT sans band could be the immediate future, which considering how she has performed is no problem with me. She said she wouldn’t have been able to do this five years ago…people go on about reinvention of artists and evolution; it seems KT will go back over old ground to move forward again into album #4.

KT signed and piccied as usual (we’d had time for another swift on back at MacSorley’s), but she’s even telling me to look at the bloody camera now! (hence the mischievous smirk on both our faces in the picture). We also badgered Trave for a picture with her, considering how often she has to put up with listening to our moanings about accommodation and her exclamations over how much we must be spending!!

Till the next time, Auf Weidersehen KT!

SETLIST
Uummannaq Song
Madame Trudeaux
Glamour Puss
Under The Weather
Hold On
Otherside Of The World
Lost
Through The Dark
Universe & You
Scarlet Tulip
Skinny Lou
Alchemy
Black Horse/Seven Nation Army
Push That Knot Away
Stopping The Lovin’
Fade Like A Shadow
Encore
Landslide (Stevie Nicks Cover)
Suddenly I See

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:38 pm 

im pretty sure the highlight of this gig would have to be my PJs :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:47 pm 

teeno87 wrote:
im pretty sure the highlight of this gig would have to be my PJs :lol:

Well I didn't want to steal your thunder Teena! :lol: Or divulge your waterlogged suitcase issues :?

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:50 pm 

KAS23 wrote:
Sadly our prepared joke of shouting “you killed Kenny” at KT during Stopping The Loving and the “human trumpet” section, which would have been the realm of Mr Dickenson, went down like a stone. KT said afterwards she didn’t know how to come back to that (and she can put down any heckler with ease normally)…apologies ensued as it sounded better, as with all failed jokes and witticisms, when we formulated it.

Having listened to Andy's recording of this - I sound more like Stan from South Park than the Cartman I was trying to imitate....thanks Andy for the constant reminder of never to heckle the Tunstall again :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:30 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Location: Paris, France, Europe, World, Universe, Solar System, Galaxy
Thanks for your detailed report Kevin!