All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Liquid Room, Edinburgh, 12th Nov '11
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 am 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

It was when other people started clapping :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 am 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Kim wrote:
Sherry! I asked for the setlist for you but the guy said there was only one, plus it was laminated and they're not allowed to take it then... Sorry!

Thanks for trying! :smt058

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:50 am 

Let's go back in time for a minute: Always a pleasure, never a chore!! :wink:

And you know... The next setlist will be a lot more exciting anyway!
First one I fetch will be yours.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:16 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Finally, where has the week gone since the latest Tunstall adventure! Latest review ex-Facebook

GIG REVIEW – KT Tunstall – The Scottish Leg November 2011

Saturday 12th November – The Liquid Rooms, Edinburgh

So, I’s treks north of the border for a first (mainland) Scottish gig of KT’s, bringing up my overall dirty dozen, and joining up a real nutjob jamboree! (well with 16 of us taking over a busy section of a Grassmarket pub after the gig – I’d think it would count as a jamboree).

The Liquid Rooms is a reasonably tight ad low-ceilinged venue, a complete antithesis of the huge, cavernous Opera House KT played at York last week. Despite it being tight, it never felt cramped, but this close atmosphere suited a set list numbering six changes from last week and the return for some Drastic Fantastic tracks and the more upbeat Tiger Suit tracks (thank goodness for standing, although my back is not thinking so as I write). With it being a homecoming gig KT was always going to give it everything and the appreciative crowd did the same.

With the huge mural backdrop unable to fit the stage (that indicates the size of the stage) KT kept her Tiger Suit theme by wearing a tiger teeth t-shirt. She said Edinburgh had been flirting with her all day and that she was once again on stage with her “friends from Taiwan, bought via the Musicians Internet Bridal Service”.

From building up a whistling solo and a few “yeah, yeahs” on the Wee Bastard, with no Charlotte or Rej for help, KT struck into Glamour Puss to give the night an upbeat introduction.

An early outing followed for the white Gretsch (man, I love that guitar) as KT delivered White Bird, a first DF track for me on tour, probably the first time I’ve heard it live since 2008. Sadly, I’m still not sold by it, it’s not a favourite of mine from that album – but apparently the professional wind-up merchant Tunstall is only playing it to annoy Nat, so we can probably expect it in Glasgow too!

KT then went for her 2-string guitar, so we know what it coming next, Uummannaq Song. Cue a name-dropping anecdote from KT’s trip to Greenland that inspired the song (I was on a boat with Jarvis Cocker, Martha Wainwright, Fiest etc…I wanted to get off, felt like a piece of sh*t in comparison to those guys). It was another great performance of this quite feral track and prompted another Tunstall thought at the end….“Didn’t like that ending much, sounded like another song…yeah, I got it, Shania Twain [Man, I Feel Like A Woman]).

KT then orchestrated the “Liquid Rooms BeatBox” as she needed some snare and kick drum sounds for her next song. “The challenge is not to sound like someone with diarrhoea on your snare” (she paints lovely pictures, she really does!). Having mastered the sounds KT the Liquid Rooms’ ability in a bit of We Will Rock You (and someone did sing back in the crowd). After that KT did her own (the first attempt was crap by her own admission) to build up the backing to play Hold On, which for most of this year has been the realm of the five piece band at the front of the stage acoustic section in the full band shows. It was still great solo and I prefer it these days without the plinky, electro introduction.

KT switched to her mid-set three song keys combo of Otherside Of The World (with the message to shag local people), Lost and Through The Dark (“12 years of piano lessons for two songs”) and the introduction of Len the trophy KT bought in Boston on the US version of the solo tour (“He’s a winner, I’m on my own, I’m a winner too, it’s some support”).

When KT was then setting up a percussion piece on the loop pedal after her keys section, I thought we were getting Golden Frame again. But I was hoodwinked as KT unfurled the “beauty” of Beauty Of Uncertainty – I used to drift off years ago when listening to this track, but I get it now – Kim, stood next to me, was totally enthralled – she had been wishing for this to be in the setlist.

“Now a quick plug for my new EP! Recorded at home and it has no barcode so it won’t work on your self scan checkouts – go to the merch stand or my website!” (ka-ching!). KT played her “picky songs” Scarlet Tulip and Skinny Lou from the Scarlet Tulip EP saying she stopped playing songs like this when she was busking all those years ago as more aggressive guitar playing earned her more money (It’s all down to money in the end). I’m not a fan of Skinny Lou in comparison to the other six tracks on the EP; but KT played it that touch slower than the recorded version and I could actually keep pace with the lyrics and enjoy it….a much preferred arrangement (hopefully our recording team in the crowd got that one!!).

The latest in KT’s tour anecdotes was revealed prior to Black Horse. Either KT’s memory is getting that bad or her show is that structured that her anecdotes are setlisted!! This was a rambling one that ended up about a vibrating soap in a second hand shop in Bexhill earlier on the tour (she had been looking for bad jumpers for a “bad jumper Christmas party”). Anyhow, into Black Horse, which I recorded because the Seven Nation Army mash-up was in play. KT said “I like that people still record this, even with all the versions on YouTube. I’m sure its because they hope I mess it up”. I just wanted a lasting record of the Seven Nation Army version.

The advantage of a standing gig now arrived as KT put the uptempo Push That Knot Away and Fade Like A Shadow into the set as two of her last three songs (split by Stopping The Lovin’. This allowed us nutjobs at the front to bounce along to the dance vibes of PTKA (and “facing our fears” as KT put it) as Tunstall switches from a finger picked opening half to a plectrum picked second half (starting with the dum, dum, dum, dum, da, dum, da, dum, dum…..Daisy….bit).

Ever the wind up merchant, Tunstall introduced Stopping The Lovin’ as the opportunity to “song the face off” the person you brought with you “because you had a spare ticket ‘cos someone dropped out…you never had that someone else did you?” Again KT put in the “human trumpet” solo – having acquired it from falling off her bike as a youngster (a different explanation from last week).

The main set closed with Fade Like A Shadow and apologies to Nat and Kim stood next to me for the gravely rendition…one cannot resist. Nor could we not resist “snake-hipping”.

Tunstall returned to rapturous applause with the “whisky” to play her cover of Landslide with another Stevie Nicks anecdote – she got a dedication from Stevie at a Fleetwood Mac concert in London when KT was considering not going. It was a great rendition with a couple of mick-taking really high bits about Stevie Nicks being “totally awesome”.

Suddenly close it…nuff said really!

No “stalking” tonight…being in Edinburgh we hit the Grassmarket and drank into the wee small hours…good craic. Onto Glasgow and Nat’s domain for the tour closer.

SETLIST
Glamour Puss
White Bird
Uummannaq Song
Hold On
Otherside Of The World
Lost
Through The Dark
Beauty Of Uncertainty
Scarlet Tulip
Skinny Lou
Black Horse/Seven Nation Army
Push That Knot Away
Stopping The Lovin’
Fade Like A Shadow
Encore
Landslide (Stevie Nicks Cover)
Suddenly I See

Sesame Street moment….This review was brought to you in association with Andy L who encouraged me to note-take when I wasn’t going to!!

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:28 pm 

I don't particularly like the Liquid Rooms as a venue, unless you're at the front it tends to be quite hard to see.

This was a great gig though. The London ones were a lot quieter, in the song selection and the crowd. I heard a fair bit of chatter during some quieter songs in Edinburgh whereas in London there was absolute silence, but i put a lot of that down to the venue.

I've not been overly thrilled with the cover, because much as I adore Fleetwood Mac I think Landslide has been done to death, especially lately. I'd have been happier if she'd done Gypsy which is my current fave. The cover is good, but i've heard it done better. Earlier that week I saw Tori Amos do it as well, not sure where the sudden Landslide love has come from :lol:.

The gig was a belter though and I enjoyed the post gig drinks on the grassmarket. Sometimes it almost seems a shame we seem to have so little non gig time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:46 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Even though it's a home venue I'm not that enamoured of this place now, it seems soulless these days thanks to the upgrade since the fire ,primarily though it's a club venue so the acoustic capability isn't that great .As for chattiness from the back that's always been a problem thanks to the bar being where it is though I sometimes wonder why folk go to gigs and talk all over a performance, but they paid their ticket price same as everyone else so there isn't much you can do about it, Sneaky Pete's gig springs to mind there .As for post gig drinks maybe could have picked a quieter pub but Saturday night in that area it's a tough call ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7