All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Forum, Bath - 10.09.11
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

FakeShemp wrote:
Kim wrote:
I'd actually like to hear STL again live. I'm glad they didn't play it though, as I think that would be a song that would really make all of us miss the boys!!

You may get your wish this fall, Kim. KT brought out a cracking solo version of it on the Solo Show Tour earlier this year. Not when I saw her in Minneapolis, but later on the tour, and much as I love the good old full-band versions of STL...I wouldn't trade this solo version from Vancouver for anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQsJ4bFFnc

Both funny and musically brilliant. Hopefully she'll be playing it in the UK Solo Shows. I still just grin silly at memories of the Mpls gig--you guys are in for *such* a treat this fall....

Z.

I was abooout to say I mean with the band, but then I forgot about this... PHWOAAAAAR... goosebump-evoking performance :smt007

Post subject: Re: The Forum, Bath - 10.09.11
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

STPK wrote:
Andy L wrote:
I personally wouldn't go as far as Paul in saying that Sam carried the old lineup (it's not like Marc Ford with the Crowes for example!) and I'd just like to stress that I've enjoyed Charlotte's playing in the current lineup - her outro solo on Uummannaq is magical and I love the swagger in her playing on COGI too. False Alarm is the main song I can think of where her playing is missing that extra something compared to Sam's take on it, although Steve's point about the song being a showcase for Rej is an interesting one which hadn't occurred to me before. And as for people calling out for Sam's return during the gig, I doubt very few people in that crowd on Saturday night outside of our circle knew who was up on that stage other than KT...

Nat makes a good point about Charlotte feeling more like a hired gun - I thought the old band lineup somehow felt more like a closer-knit 'band of brothers', even though they've all done projects and session work elsewhere! I guess Sam's slide playing on Black Horse adding something a little extra too, and the 2005-06 arrangement of Heal Over was truly epic which (to me) neither the current one nor the studio version is - although that's not Charlotte's fault! I must admit that I also never had anything against the backing singers either, although that may be more to do with the fact that my favourite band is enhanced by them and hence I like the concept more than what they add to KT's band sound :lol:

Maybe suggesting that "Same carried the band for 6 years" is a stretch. But I think you would have been disappointed if the lead was changed out every year or so. I think Sam had time to perfect his sound and I think it showed in the performances. Again, if Charlotte and Rej were touring and in the studio with KT for 6 years, there would have no doubt been some stretching of the talent legs. In fact, maybe my point here is that I think I am concluding is I guess I prefer consistency and continuity. I understand this can also lead to a stale atmosphere and changing things up now and again are a way to see where creativity goes. I'm just not sure hired temp musicians for studio and tour is the way to go though.

Something else that seems missing the last few years is exploring cover songs. I could see this being due to the current lineup having to learn KT songs only, and had no time to mess around with covers. Yes, there have a been a few gems but there were much more years ago.

Cannot disagree with any of that! I guess maybe she's got more of a body of her own work, she doesn't feel the need to do as many covers nowadays. But man, the variety and quality of them back in the day...

And cool video Chris!