All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Forum, Bath - 10.09.11
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:07 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

I think one of the reasons I've never warmed to Charlotte in the band, is that I always knew it would be temporary. She's got her own stuff going on and I do like change, but I just keep wondering who will be 'next'.

Also, me and Rosie had this discussion and we reckon Charlotte looks too much like a frontwoman. It was nice when it was just KT and the boys.

And let's pretend the backing singers never happened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:22 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

I suppose it depends what the next project after the solo tour requires - if Rej is still in the line up I hope he finds another t-shirt (The ace of spades one), it's nearly had as many outings as KT's tight black trousers :lol:

As an aside - I haven't got the gig review assignment for York :( As expected The Press's arts correspondant is covering it.

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 pm 

Nat wrote:
It was nice when it was just KT and the boys.

That's what I thought at first too, but I did warm to Charlotte rather quickly, she's treated us to quite a bit of fierce axe-handling! 8)
I do hope she'll come back though. I reckon before, Sam would've been doing other stuff if KT wouldn't be touring as well? Maybe not as the ETTT and DF tour were basically without breaks, but before we knew Sam and Arnie would actually leave they had other gigs planned in the meantime as well. So who knows, Charlotte might be staying with us as well?

KAS23 wrote:
I suppose it depends what the next project after the solo tour requires - if Rej is still in the line up I hope he finds another t-shirt (The ace of spades one), it's nearly had as many outings as KT's tight black trousers :lol:

As an aside - I haven't got the gig review assignment for York :( As expected The Press's arts correspondant is covering it.

That's odd Kev, I just replied to you on msn about this, but then you'd left? Or were you on FB? My programme doesn't seem to be working too well... What's the online blog about though? Is that by the same company?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:43 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Great reviews guys! Loved the different styles and perspectives, sounds like a fantastic night all around :D

a pity there's only one vid on youtube atm, it'd be cool to have such a great gig documented on video

thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:46 pm 

cyn wrote:
Great reviews guys! Loved the different styles and perspectives, sounds like a fantastic night all around :D

a pity there's only one vid on youtube atm, it'd be cool to have such a great gig documented on video

thanks for sharing!

I've got out of the habit of taking video at gigs so don't have any I'm afraid, I even managed to avoid taking pictures completely at Stornoway and kept them to a low count here.

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:57 pm 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

You've all discussed this more or less exhaustively already! I'll try and make some points on here though, if not a full review. For one thing, the forum is crazily slow on my phone to the point it's just not worth attempting to post when not on a PC, plus the other factor for keeping my thoughts shorter is that I still haven't caught up on sleep after this gig and Harvest the day after it!

Firstly Kev, sorry to hear you didn't get the review slot, but rest easy, you can just enjoy the gig in November without worrying about it. Expect a compensatory pint from myself perhaps?

I'll start anyway with Andy's point about False Alarm, as that's freshest on my mind. The whole Sam's solo versus Charlotte's 'soundscapes' point. I'm known for being arguably the most pro-Charlotte among the nutjobs I know (not claiming to be her biggest fan ever or anything, would never be that ignorant!), but I think comparing Sam's guitar work on that song with Charlotte's is missing the point of the way the present version has been reworked. When it comes to the outro, it really isn't Charlotte's moment at all - it's all about Rej. It's the closest you get to a proper 'bass solo' if you like, kind of a similar vibe to Supergrass' 'Sun Hits The Sky' outro if you're familiar with that song. I actually loved them doing this in Bath because I always watch Rej at the end and normally when he does his little outro ad-libs he turns his back on us to face Luke, but this time he didn't and we actually got to see what he was playing. So for me, that was a top performance. I do love Charlotte's guitar tone throughout the song but once the outro comes along, it is Rej's moment and really that song, for me, belongs to him in the current line-up more than anyone else.

As for the vibe of the Manchester gig in February, again I didn't think anything was especially off about it, but then I wasn't there for the early days. It was actually one of my favourite gigs of that tour, perhaps more so for marking the moment when the reaction to Johnny changed so markedly from Newcastle the night before where he was pretty much beaten into submission by the time he went off stage to that night in Manchester where he got a fantastic reaction and just about everybody loved him.

And I had hoped with Sam being there that he might be brought on stage for one of the songs, I thought possibly in the encore. I even said as much to KT before the gig that I had hoped maybe Sam would feature that night or in her November tour sets - we'll see what happens in November I suppose. But I would have been appalled if his appearance had resulted in calls for him to be brought back over Charlotte's head, even though I did admit I wanted him to be on the same stage as Charlotte so I could shout out 'duel!' in the mocking hope for some sort of Crossroads style Ralph Macchio versus Steve Vai comedy guitar trade-off.

It was a particular highlight for a latecomer like myself to get to see Sam performing though and really loved his set. I know there wasn't much of the already-released album in his set (unusual as it was on sale at the gig), but I have to say I did really like his new stuff. Can't remember the title of the last song though, that was my favourite as his guitar playing got really bluesy there and was quite a rousing finish I thought. Very much looking forward to seeing more of him on KT's solo tour.

But I did love the vibe for this gig, like Andy pointed out it did seem like it meant more to the band and also, whether it was the whole audience or just us nutjobs feeling it, it seemed to matter more to us in the crowd as well. The way KT overcame her high notes problem so successfully kind of emphasised the meaning of the whole night, like an example of her determination to do it right. Everything did seem to have more meaning - I thought the dedication for the nutjobs for Black Horse, particularly when she could easily have dedicated it to her own parents or her own people at the gig, was very touching. It was odd not knowing whether to feel like laughing, going red or welling up with tears all at the same time - I think a combination of all three happened somewhere!

I think the other thing about there being more Drastic Fantastic in the set and reworkings of songs that had previously been done differently (Hold On and If Only were only previously done in the 'whole band front of stage' style with instrument swaps for Rej and Charlotte) also showed that the band weren't just phoning it in. As Andy mentioned earlier, there was the odd tweak to some of Charlotte's guitar parts anyway (she seems to add/change bits and pieces regularly to keep her playing interesting for herself I think), but I think this was a sense that they were there to mean it rather than just turning up for a job. I was actually just getting a feel for the band having a real camaradery amongst themselves towards the end of the February/March tour and that seemed much stronger again here, just as they're, for now at least, breaking up again. How much of that is down to a real bond over time and how much of it is down to a sense of pulling together for the final shows is anyone's guess (depends how positive or cynical you are, perhaps!), but there was nothing fake about the togetherness they had up there.

And I'm so pleased everyone has pointed out how amazing Trave is! I heart that woman. She seems to remember every detail about us now and was even asking me about my job and even gave me a cuddle! She does hear about our accommodation complaints so often though, bless her! She's that nice and makes it all seem so relaxed that you forget what a tough job she has, until you see her overseeing just about everything that goes on - including pre-encore jumping around!

But the whole thing, aside from our hostel (from which I'm still traumatised by a backpacker's genitalia) was great. Meet-up was relaxing, good vibes between everyone, time in the pub, after the gig was great company too, drinking rudely-titled drinks then chats until goodness knows when in the morning with Claire and Nat about how much KT should do an ETTT 10th anniversary album tour! You lot rule.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 pm 

Oh and further to the Charlotte in the band thing (could have quoted a few people but just adding to the debate rather than singling people out), I don't think it's necessarily the last you'd see of her with KT. She did bring a signature sound to the band I felt - but it was her own sound anyway. If anything, KT has adapted her sound to let Charlotte be herself rather than ask for major changes from her. You can hear the difference though, if you heard 2010 gigs with the current line-up as opposed to more recent ones. In the October 2010 tour I think Charlotte's sound was still a bit full-on for KT's band. On Difficulty in particular she had this great cutting electric tone, but the problem was that it was too strong for the song and the sheer volume and power in it totally overpowered the rest of the band, even KT's vocals on that song were barely audible over her playing. That was resolved by February and Charlotte had a softer range of sounds while keeping the texture of the tone she had and it just allowed the rest of the band in a bit more. Back on those first 2010 tour dates of course, she was completely cold to the band, only playing Jools Holland and not much else, so there were bound to be some issues with gelling styles. But I thought she ended up fitting in well by the 2011 gigs. She was never going to be Sam Mk. II but I don't think KT was ever interested in her trying to be that. If anything, rather than comparing her to Sam, the mystery for me is why she never stuck with Seye before Charlotte was even in the picture. He apparently had other commitments when he got his own deal, but then went on to tour very extensively with Paloma Faith which makes me think he must have been available. He's quite an exciting player and I'm sure would have put his own stamp on things, perhaps he'll be the next choice. But my point was to say that although Charlotte is very much her own player in her own right (and should be more than 'just another band member'), I wouldn't rule out her coming back. She's fitted in Bat For Lashes and Bryan Ferry between albums and her own tours so should KT give her the call in future, I wouldn't expect her to dismiss it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:54 am 

Nat wrote:
And let's pretend the backing singers never happened.

Um, sorry. It did and I liked it to a point. Unfortunately, backing singers cost $$$ and are rather pointless when you have a looping pedal that can do just as good. I just think they added a certain sexiness to her band but I'll admit being biased. The Funnyman acoustic video is one of my favorites to this day.

Now that the band tour is over, I've come to decide the lineup KT had on Austin City Limits back in 2006, pre-backing singers, remain my all time favorite. I posted a link to the only on-line viewing of a song from that show I could find in the videos thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:56 am 

Steve who drinks tea wrote:
Firstly Kev, sorry to hear you didn't get the review slot, but rest easy, you can just enjoy the gig in November without worrying about it. Expect a compensatory pint from myself perhaps?

Cheers Steve, I thought when I wrote the email they would have someone lined up as there had been a report in the paper about KT playing the Opera House - but Kim encouraged me to have a go anyway.

Plenty of good pub options nearby for a pre-gig snifter :smt023

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:23 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

I personally wouldn't go as far as Paul in saying that Sam carried the old lineup (it's not like Marc Ford with the Crowes for example!) and I'd just like to stress that I've enjoyed Charlotte's playing in the current lineup - her outro solo on Uummannaq is magical and I love the swagger in her playing on COGI too. False Alarm is the main song I can think of where her playing is missing that extra something compared to Sam's take on it, although Steve's point about the song being a showcase for Rej is an interesting one which hadn't occurred to me before. And as for people calling out for Sam's return during the gig, I doubt very few people in that crowd on Saturday night outside of our circle knew who was up on that stage other than KT...

Nat makes a good point about Charlotte feeling more like a hired gun - I thought the old band lineup somehow felt more like a closer-knit 'band of brothers', even though they've all done projects and session work elsewhere! I guess Sam's slide playing on Black Horse adding something a little extra too, and the 2005-06 arrangement of Heal Over was truly epic which (to me) neither the current one nor the studio version is - although that's not Charlotte's fault! I must admit that I also never had anything against the backing singers either, although that may be more to do with the fact that my favourite band is enhanced by them and hence I like the concept more than what they add to KT's band sound :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45 pm 

Yeah aside from us i dont think anyone would notice if sam did a song instead of charlotte and it is a bit offensive to charlotte to boot her off :lol:. I find it 'Funnyman' where i miss Sam for the mandolin solo.

I miss Arnie a lot though. And his bow ties.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:40 pm 

And the double bass!!
I'd actually like to hear STL again live. I'm glad they didn't play it though, as I think that would be a song that would really make all of us miss the boys!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:33 pm 

Andy L wrote:
I personally wouldn't go as far as Paul in saying that Sam carried the old lineup (it's not like Marc Ford with the Crowes for example!) and I'd just like to stress that I've enjoyed Charlotte's playing in the current lineup - her outro solo on Uummannaq is magical and I love the swagger in her playing on COGI too. False Alarm is the main song I can think of where her playing is missing that extra something compared to Sam's take on it, although Steve's point about the song being a showcase for Rej is an interesting one which hadn't occurred to me before. And as for people calling out for Sam's return during the gig, I doubt very few people in that crowd on Saturday night outside of our circle knew who was up on that stage other than KT...

Nat makes a good point about Charlotte feeling more like a hired gun - I thought the old band lineup somehow felt more like a closer-knit 'band of brothers', even though they've all done projects and session work elsewhere! I guess Sam's slide playing on Black Horse adding something a little extra too, and the 2005-06 arrangement of Heal Over was truly epic which (to me) neither the current one nor the studio version is - although that's not Charlotte's fault! I must admit that I also never had anything against the backing singers either, although that may be more to do with the fact that my favourite band is enhanced by them and hence I like the concept more than what they add to KT's band sound :lol:

Maybe suggesting that "Same carried the band for 6 years" is a stretch. But I think you would have been disappointed if the lead was changed out every year or so. I think Sam had time to perfect his sound and I think it showed in the performances. Again, if Charlotte and Rej were touring and in the studio with KT for 6 years, there would have no doubt been some stretching of the talent legs. In fact, maybe my point here is that I think I am concluding is I guess I prefer consistency and continuity. I understand this can also lead to a stale atmosphere and changing things up now and again are a way to see where creativity goes. I'm just not sure hired temp musicians for studio and tour is the way to go though.

Something else that seems missing the last few years is exploring cover songs. I could see this being due to the current lineup having to learn KT songs only, and had no time to mess around with covers. Yes, there have a been a few gems but there were much more years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:13 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

Kim wrote:
I'd actually like to hear STL again live. I'm glad they didn't play it though, as I think that would be a song that would really make all of us miss the boys!!

You may get your wish this fall, Kim. KT brought out a cracking solo version of it on the Solo Show Tour earlier this year. Not when I saw her in Minneapolis, but later on the tour, and much as I love the good old full-band versions of STL...I wouldn't trade this solo version from Vancouver for anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQsJ4bFFnc

Both funny and musically brilliant. Hopefully she'll be playing it in the UK Solo Shows. I still just grin silly at memories of the Mpls gig--you guys are in for *such* a treat this fall....

Z.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm 

That is brilliant :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next