All times are UTC

Post subject: The Forum, Bath - 10.09.11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:11 am 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

The aftermath of a great gig - another probably quirky review to digest (remember its on my Facebook so there will be some stuff that you think why is he writing this when we know it - its for the unconverted!)

GIG REVIEW - KT TUNSTALL - The Forum, Bath - 10.09.11
Another KT gig and another adventure around the country and a bunch of assembled nutjobs congregating to see our favourite artist perform.

Originally we expected this to be a solo performance, as this wasn’t heavily promoted, subsequently a full solo tour was announced and this happened to become the final indoor gig with KT’s band in its current incarnation playing Tiger Suit. Quite possibly it will be the last time we see Tunstall, Bullen, Hatherley, Dickenson & Ap Gwynnedd play as a quintet.

The Bath Forum, a cavernous two tiered theatre venue, provided a first seated performance for me since my first KT gig back at Sheffield City Hall (where I was way back on the balcony) – a weird proposition having positioned myself at the front barrier for eight subsequent outings. We still had front row seats and were pleased with the pureness of sound resonating around the auditorium and our positioning as KT’s former lead guitarist, Sam Lewis, provided the support (as he will throughout the solo tour also).

KT opened with Glamour Puss and, ever the unassuming rebel, decided she wanted to see the great expanse between the front row of seats and the front of the stage filled. The front of house was happy to respond to her request and what was expected to be a sedate evening became the hottest and most active Tunstall gig that I’ve experienced (nearly on a par with the Kasabian gig in June, and sorry to Miss Jeroense if I bumped her during the “snake hips” bit!) with nutjobs and some tipsy members of the crowd clapping the beats and bouncing around to the music.

The setlist was a wonderful blend of the current and past, the fast-paced and the steady, the acoustic and the electro, the hand-picked and the strummed guitar – it was wonderful to see a quarter of the set come from the critically-maligned Drastic Fantastic, an anti-thesis of Stornoway where it had all but disappeared, and particularly a return for Little Favours! KT battled through the set despite struggling to hit her higher notes after the performance of Favours, not the best time considering the following three songs (OSOTW, The Hidden Heart and Scarlet Tulip) all use that higher range; she let the crowd fill in for Otherside and sung the two tracks from the Scarlet Tulip EP in a different style.

The nutjobs at the front then received a dedication from KT prior to the performance of Black Horse – a thank you for continuing to go to so many gigs in so many obscure places; pointing the bunch of us out at the front sadly got some of our number a bit of resentment from some of the crowd later. It was a fabulous performance of Black Horse with what seemed, for once, the whole building clapping along to the beat led by the standing masses.

A sparkling performance of the “Diff Riff” from Ms Hatherley, coaxed on by a “Come On Charlotte” from Steve, again gave me the sentimental feeling about my favourite Tiger Suit track probably never being played like this again.

A little lull in pace while KT introduced the band and their families attendance (Rej’s mum and sisters and KT’s mum, dad and brother) preceded an up tempo final quartet of Trudeaux, Saving My Face, PTKA and Fade Like A Shadow. This got the mini-pit first gesturing to the staccato of Trudeaux, clapping along to Saving My Face, bouncing to PTKA and “snake-hipping” to Shadow; this led to unstoppable applause until Tunstall and her band returned for the encore of Funnyman and Suddenly I See, to which the whole house was upstanding.

A fabulous gig, much better than I ever could have imagined beforehand – it must be a preconceived mindset about sitting that makes me think a gig is not going to be as good? I hope this isn’t the case in York, as there won’t be the opportunity to stand up like there was here.

Afterwards KT was as good as ever with us all in signing stuff and having pictures. Rebecca (KT’s tour manager) now finds my inability to look at the camera when she is taking pictures “strange, but somehow cool” (she had two goes and I still couldn’t manage it, the pictures are awful) – it just continues to make the rest of the bunch laugh and congratulate me when I did look at the camera in a group photo with KT! KT agreed when I said “people think I’m mad having done Stornoway and now this”.. “Yes you are, but in a good way”, so I thanked her for only being 20 minutes down the road next time at the Opera House in York!

SETLIST
Glamour Puss
Come On Get In
Uummannaq Song
Hold On
False Alarm
Little Favours
Otherside Of The World
Hidden Heart
Scarlet Tulip
Black Horse
Difficulty
Lost
Golden Frames
If Only
Madame Trudeaux
Saving My Face
Push That Knot Away
Fade Like A Shadow

Encore
Funnyman
Suddenly I See

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

Post subject: Re: The Forum, Bath - 10.09.11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 am 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

Sounds like I missed something good. But...

YAY FOR YORK!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:30 pm 

Nice review! Sounds like a super special gig. Gives us who weren't there a bit of an idea ^^

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:55 pm 

SomethingRandom wrote:
Sounds like I missed something good. But...

YAY FOR YORK!

Indeed YAY FOR YORK! I'm glad it is sit down though - 'cos if it was stand up and I was queuing for hours beforehand I'm sure my mates would come and take the mickey!

I was asked if I'd rather go and watch Bolton play Stoke that day - free tickets for my dad's birthday - had to turn them down (unpopular at home again)!

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:58 pm 

I even temporarily reactivated my fb to go look at said photos...and then deactivated it again (i haven't fallen out with anyone by the way just it was annoying me)

Edit: Still on Twitter if anyone misses me on fb, apparently it is boring without me. @RomethingSandom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 pm 

I need to make a quick edit here! Lost wasn't played - I photographed a setlist rather than doing my usual writing on a bit of scrap paper covered in acronyms and notes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:40 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

Hmm well... I'll try write a wee review here!

This gig really was the best of both, we got reserved seats in the first row (oh, surprise!) so we didn't have to queue whatsoever, and therefore got to spend the afternoon in the pub, with cocktails (yay!) and then Nat took us for Japanese at Wagamama's because I'd never had any (I know, where have I LIVED?!) :lol: And that's another yay, as it was really good!! :D

So after that we went back to the pub again for a wee while, only to stroll back to the venue after doors had already opened even.
Thought Sam's set was really good, his guitar playing is immense!! And the rhythms are so nice and unique in his tunes. I just wished he'd played more songs of his last album, he only did 'Another Lifetime'. Although I understand it'd be more exciting for him to play his new stuff. The crowd was really respectful as well, it was so nice to actually have people be silent through a support act for once.

Now onto KT's bit. At first I should say, I don't remember much of the gig itself as I was so tired that halfway through I really felt like passing out and I was busy trying to keep myself upright more than anything :lol: Especially during the slower 'non-jumping' songs!

Anyway, we'd had a debate before the gig how awkward it would be trying to stay seated, even though we all had front row tickets. Aside from that, I kinda bet that KT wouldn't be able to refrain from making us stand up for longer that two whole songs. Well, she started playing Glamour Puss, but that was already it, and we were invited to go and dance at the front. Well, we didn't need telling twice :lol: :lol:
Then after that she was kinda concerned bout the people still seated, and unconvincingly, half tried to get us to sit on the floor or something, but then just opted for asking whether everyone could see (which I'm sure not everybody could as well as before but no one dares say anything like that) and (not) solve the problem like that :lol:

A nice anekdote was though, that someone yelled they couldn't see from far back, and KT replied: 'That's ridiculous, you're all the way over there!! You just have a problem with your eyes!!'

As Kev's said already, there were a lot of DF songs, which was really cool, but I thought it was so weird as they would've had to practice quite a few of them for just this last show, which seems like a big effort for one gig! Then there was KT's voice that kinda abruptly left her (it really just did not work :lol: ), but to be honest, apart from some bits that really DO require the high notes, she was really clever solving the problem by just changing the melodies in parts of songs which really turned out to work surprsingly well in some cases, and it surely showed off how talented she is musically. I think a lot of artists would've just waved byebye and leave the stage, or cancel a show beforehand when they have voice-problems. Not someone as rock 'n' roll as KT though luckily!! (maybe because she knows it does cost some of us a heck of a load of money too... :smt005 kidding!)

Then halfway through before Black Horse, she suddenly started talking and said 'I'd like to dedicate this song to...' and I fully expected her to say her parents or something as well, they were there and they were from Bath and everything. But then I actually heard her say '...my nutjobs' and a whole speech followed :oops: It was incredibly sweet and special, and the whole way through I just felt like I wanted to shrink (even moreso than I already do normally!) and I kept feeling like we should say something to thank her or something but it was all a bit erm, yeah, unexpected :lol:

Anyway, thanks to Andy, this is what she said:

‎'I'm going to dedicate this song to my nutjobs because there's a bunch of people in this country who come to so many gigs and always keep up with what I'm doing and are always faithfully down the front at my shows and they mean an awful lot to me. It's been a long year of great gigs so thank you so much nutjobs, and please send the message out to other nutjobs who live in other nutjob countries.'

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. :-D

After the gig there were actually people who wanted to be nutjobs all of a sudden, it was kinda funny :lol: It's not exactly an aspiration lots of people have :lol: :lol:
I heard this one woman actually say that she thought she belonged to our group as well as she'd seen KT three times or something, and Nat overheard another group making jealous comments about us, which is kinda sad! :lol:

Anyway, obviously the difference is that getting a dedication is not what it's about for us, we just love her unconditionally! :smt052

So yeah, the gig... It was absolutely rockin', and I swear I'm just gonna try and splurge in the future to avoid overnight buses cause I hated not being able to fully enjoy it cause I was SO tired, and I'd also forgotten that eating when tired makes me feel really ill. I literally couldn't properly dance and the gig really was THAT GOOD!!
I'm not sure if all of you know, but for the ones that don't, Steve always calls out 'Go Charlotte!' right before the start of Difficulty, as she's the one that starts off the song. And he's done it so many times that she's kind of expecting it now, and this time first her, then KT, and then the whole band just started laughing. It was so good! Wee inside jokes are the best.

Then before the encore (everybody kept clapping like mad) the door backstage was open and we could see a shadowy figure (Trave) just hopping up and down, which really looked quite comical, as she appeared to be just as excited as all of us were, which was really cool! :lol: Nat and I were kinda looking at one another in surprise as it seemed a bit out of character from how we know her after the shows! Anyway, Trave's great 8)
Then they came back out and finished with Funnyman and a rockin version of SIS.

Afterwards was brilliant as well. I'll let everybody tell their own bit as I don't want to go tell other peoples stories... So, after a good hug (this time I didn't feel too gross for it as opposed to Amsterdam which had been a rather sweaty gig, as it had been absolutely ROASTING) it was really sweet as I felt as though KT wanted to make sure that this wasn't the last time I was gonna be there and see her before she'd stop touring, because she sincerely (/urgently maybe even?) asked whether I was gonna make at least some of the solo shows. (and then later Trave did the same thing :lol:) She actually got rather excited about me being ill for Glasgow :lol:

Then she also proceeded to tell me proudly that she'd gotten her sparkly trousers on sale :lol:

Oh and I apologised for the puffin thing as it must've been a bit odd at the time (Teena bought a stuffed puffin in Orkney and had it signed by KT as I was missing out seeing the real ones AND KT's gig that week) but KT adamantly said that one should NEVER apologise for puffins, as puffins were GREAT. :lol: :lol: And that was repeated a couple times :lol: Teena already said that she loves them too, but she must really love them a lot hahaha!

Erm yeah, finally had my much loved and most ever played album ETTT signed, way overdue - 'To Rockin' Kim... Huge love & thanks!' - and got my photo taken with her (thanks to Steve who once again had to remind me :lol: ) for which she was standing on her toes at first which I noticed a bit late ('Oh, sorrrrryyyyy!!' :lol: ) so I just bent down as that was a tad easier :p
Then after having spoken to everyone Nat and I got another hug (I'm not sure if it was just because I was just standing in the way or not though :lol:) and then it was time to leave. It was SUCH a good night.

:-D :-D

Today has been so hard coming down from such a great weekend being thrown into the seriousness of hospital again!! Had the oncology ward today as well, which really is quite a shift from such a high to having crying patients sitting in front of you.

Anyway, it's back to business for now, but let's roll on November quickly please!!

Last edited by Kim on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 pm 

It was also funny when I was asking a busdriver where I could find the forum, and he just kept looking at me funny, whereas I was sure I could just NOT pronounce that the wrong way for once!
Then after about 5 times he started thinking and went... Oooh, do you mean the FOROOOOM?! :lol: :lol:

FFS. You English people keep saying you aren't for foreign languages but you DO do ancient Roman?! :smt005

It's not even that I didn't know as I've had Latin, but it's not really what I expected in Bath. Or, Bath.

That was a hot topic as well btw, already talked about that in the pub and KT kept repeating the town name twice every time she mentioned it until about halfway through her show when she just accepted just pronouncing it the posh way was good enough :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:01 pm 

Probably my favourite KT gig of the year. It was absolutely incredible.

Kim, ill read that spiel when I have some free time. Like, when im at work :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:06 pm 

I'm actually a bit taken aback that clearly I'm not good enough for your spare time now.

:smt009

:lol:

What do you think of my trying to revive the forum a bit btw? :p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:10 pm 

Sounds like it was great! Wish I was there :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:20 pm 

Kim wrote:
What do you think of my trying to revive the forum a bit btw? :p

I fully support it :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm 

Great writeups guys! It's making me wishing she was scheduling another return trip to the states with the band but it doesn't sound like that would be happening.

To Kim's quoted quote: ....."and please send the message out to other nutjobs who live in other nutjob countries.'"

Message received loud and clear! :smt023

Thanks for acknowledging her global followers. I feel vindicated for posting too many youtube clips on FB. :smt043

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 pm 

Great reviews guys makes me even sadder that I missed it!

Nice to hear the puffin got a mention as well haha her love of puffins is quite intense

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:39 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Well here's your comment Kim :p Great writeup kidda, had to laugh at these bits in particular :lol:

Kim wrote:
After the gig there were actually people who wanted to be nutjobs all of a sudden, it was kinda funny :lol: It's not exactly an aspiration lots of people have :lol: :lol:
I heard this one woman actually say that she thought she belonged to our group as well as she'd seen KT three times or something, and Nat overheard another group making jealous comments about us, which is kinda sad! :lol:

Kim wrote:
Then before the encore (everybody kept clapping like mad) the door backstage was open and we could see a shadowy figure (Trave) just hopping up and down, which really looked quite comical, as she appeared to be just as excited as all of us were, which was really cool! :lol:

Everyone loves Trave! The amount of times she's listened patiently to us complaining about our accommodation... :lol: