All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hebridean Celtic Festival 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:05 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

My FB is playing up....posting notes all back to front (the first paragraph is the last paragraph)....so here is how I intended to write it. It's written to the majority of my friends who are not converts, so excuse the "teaching granny to suck eggs" style of writing :oops: :oops:

GIG REVIEW – KT Tunstall – Headlining Hebridean Celtic Festival, Lews Castle, Stornoway

Previously the furthest I had travelled to see the (newly adorned Dr) Tunstall was Wolverhampton. Now that has been replaced by Stornoway in the outer Hebrides for her headline closing slot at the Hebridean Celtic Festival (HebCeltFest).

A unique experience in the grounds of Lews Castle under a huge marquee of circa 6,000 capacity (the biggest Tunstall crowd I’ve been a part of). You could compare it to the Forestry Commission gigs in England, but the Keane one I attended had 4,000 more people at it. This would be the last full band gig for the foreseeable future as KT’s next live dates are due to be the UK version of the solo show that she toured around America earlier this year.

Nat (whos fandom of KT makes my attempts appear distinctly feeble) and I were positioned front centre of a stage that put KT and her band on eye level with us. Tunstall entered decked out in a custom tailored Harris Tweed jacket to perform a setlist heavy in Tiger Suit content (with only Still A Weirdo and The Entertainer omitted) during a 15 song, 80 minute performance. This could have been a risky tactic infront of a festival crowd, giving the possibility of ambivalence when (most people I speak to) KT is Black Horse or Suddenly I See. The advantage of KT’s newer collection is it’s faster pace, which doesn’t allow the casual listener the chance to drift off (though there were annoyingly some mutterers in the crowd) – the slower tracks (Otherside/Hidden Heart) are either well enough known or saved for Tunstall’s solo effort and thus appreciated.

It took the opening three tracks, where the sound was a little fuzzy, for the crowd to really get going when Uummannaq Song (substituted by “Stornoway”, but also containing an unplanned lyric fluff too) got it’s airing. The first real sing along came to Otherside Of The World, which KT continues to play as the opener to her solo section using synths and her loop for background beats, proffering enough points for the crowd to sing in her place.

The crowd went mad when KT mentioned moving onto a song about a tree…but she was holding onto Black Horse until after playing Hidden Heart from the Scarlet Tulip EP. If the two forumers were being selfish we would have preferred Alchemy (but it requires hauling along yet another guitar for one song) or Scarlet Tulip as her song from the ST:EP. Considering this has only been a web released album, the song got a rapturous response (or could it be the beer working?).

KT teased the crowd no longer “I’ll have to ditch this jacket, as it’s not practical for horse riding!” rolling on to Black Horse; the performance didn’t require the whole band from the start as the “Wee Bastard Pedal”’s problems from T In The Park were overcome, while the clapping, singing and stomping to KT’s signature track came from the crowd. The band returned for the final crescendo of guitars, kazoo, trumpets and KT’s looped vocals and clapping….I still await the mash up with the White Stripes Seven Nation Army that she performs….that may come later in the year.

Difficulty, Lost and Golden Frames maybe bypassed many past the front row…but I will be a sad man if Difficulty is never played again after this festival season, but it is likely to be the last time Charlotte Hatherley plays that opening riff that still sends tingles down my spine (Hatherley will be playing for Bat For Lashes and Bryan Ferry before returning to her solo projects).

The final five tracks got plenty of support from the crowd, kicking off with Funnyman (“Anyone mental round here”) moving on to Saving My Face (Hatherley now having mastered the foot pedal “hokey-cokey” required), Push That Knot Away (“It’s Saturday night people, and time to bounce!”), Fade Like A Shadow and Suddenly I See (dedicated to Eddi Reader, KT loves the song “Perfect”, who had headlined HebCelt the night before). The “One More Tune” shout that came after the customary closing bow suggested KT and her band went down well, but she was neutered by the curfew and couldn’t encore….but what can follow Suddenly as an encore?

This was probably the second best KT gig (the first where I’ve refused to take pictures) after Manchester Academy in February (‘cos that was a solely KT crowd), but definitely worth the long haul!

SETLIST
Madame Trudeaux
Glamour Puss
Come On, Get In
Uummannaq Song
Other Side Of The World
The Hidden Heart
Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
Difficulty
Lost
Golden Frames
Funnyman
Saving My Face
Push That Knot Away
Fade Like A Shadow
Suddenly I See

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:35 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

Ah... Love your reviews Kev!!! (hope you don't mind me calling you that, I noticed I'm doing it automatically but I know another Kevin who hates that!)
You're such a detailed writer!! :D

I'd be really sad if we wouldn't see Charlotte play with KT anymore either. Who knows though, she's returning to BFL now so she might do the same for KT when the next album roles around. Fingers crossed. Love her!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:42 pm 
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster

Thanks for that great review! Little details are my favorite part of the reviews :smt023

on a side note: I had written 'Kev' as well in my original post,.. this is kinda creepy! :lol:

Image Image

Patty =)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:51 pm 

Kim wrote:
Ah... Love your reviews Kev!!! (hope you don't mind me calling you that, I noticed I'm doing it automatically but I know another Kevin who hates that!)
You're such a detailed writer!! :D

I'd be really sad if we wouldn't see Charlotte play with KT anymore either. Who knows though, she's returning to BFL now so she might do the same for KT when the next album roles around. Fingers crossed. Love her!

Don't worry Kim (& Patty)...I used to get annoyed at it, and insist to people at work it was Kevin, but not anymore. Thanks for the feedback - Nat & I were thinking about alternative careers as gig-reviewers on Sunday:D

We'll see about Charlotte; Nat and I talked about it and think it's unlikely on a regular basis.

I'll just have to wait for her next solo project and see a gig in her own right.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that she won't be with the band, she then won't be a distraction from KT for me. Most of the other tracks can be played by talented guitarists or KT can strip them back and play them herself as she has done with ETTT and DF tracks - It's just Difficulty, that I :smt007 so much, that will never quite be the same.

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 am 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Only just got round to reading your review now Kevin, great effort - your write-up of the February tour was one of the two blogs that inspired me to write my blog documenting the Crowes tour this month. Liking your style :smt023

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:41 pm 

Andy L wrote:
Only just got round to reading your review now Kevin, great effort - your write-up of the February tour was one of the two blogs that inspired me to write my blog documenting the Crowes tour this month. Liking your style :smt023

Mine better have been the other one :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 pm 

It wasn't... sorry :lol: Your write-ups are less serious but much better for quotes, funny moments etc :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:57 am 

Thanks for the review :smt023

Sounds like a fantastic venue :D

SK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:34 pm 

Nat wrote:
Andy L wrote:

Mine better have been the other one :lol:

Glad this has gone down so well....used to get told at school that I waffled and was a poor writer!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:17 pm 

Oh, I was testing Kevin with some of our shepherds bush drinking trivia and one that stumped him was "name 3 songs with 'universe' in them".

During the gig I gave him a poke during Funnyman but by this time he had COMPLETELY forgotten and had no idea what I was on about :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:41 pm 

Bloody hell Nat. Now I can't go to sleep before I've thought of the third! :lol:
And I have to know as I got it in London...

Edit: Oh. That went quicker than I thought. Move on!

Just remembering as well that you being quizmaster was totally hilarious as you got SO many shots :lol: We were THAT good.

8)

Or scary.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:22 am 

I did not feel good the next day :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:42 am 

Nat wrote:
Oh, I was testing Kevin with some of our shepherds bush drinking trivia and one that stumped him was "name 3 songs with 'universe' in them".

During the gig I gave him a poke during Funnyman but by this time he had COMPLETELY forgotten and had no idea what I was on about :lol:

Yeah...I was too into the gig to be thinking trivia at that time :oops: (especially with it being Funnyman too!)...but then randomly during the night it hit me that Little Favours was another one.

My brain is a strange entity for picking times to work :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 am 

I'm still in the "doghouse" at home too! Not yet forgiven for going to Scotland when saying I was somewhere else!

They aren't used to me being an irresponsible, lying, deceitful prat :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:05 pm 

How did you get caught out?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next