All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2010 Forum Awards - Winners on Page 5
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

I only started using them last year when I came back to here not seen the point before then I got the Facebook originally for a Uni application but didn't use it for 2 years. Now I may be addicted... This is why I don't buy scratch cards :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

A Nutjobly friend recently suggested they thought I'd make a good Mod, but this right here is why I'd suck at it: I can't resist a good threadjack.

TLDR, don't want to read off-topic-stuff, version: technologies that make online community possible (including this one right here) can be a very useful thing; don't assume you know what happens on them without actually *observing* what happens on them.

The Bloodied Cyclist wrote:
Then before that everyone jumped on the www bandwagon

Wow, that takes me back to the old, old days (and I say "old days" as somebody who's been on the Web since Mosaic was still in alpha, and on the Internet *almost* since before there was a Web)--reminds me of the regular prouncements we always would see in the mainstream press about how the Web was doomed to fail from its birth (a phenomenon we called "Imminent Death of the Net Predicted!--Film At Eleven"), how it was just a fad, how no corporation with any ounce of business sense would adopt e-commerce because it would never work, how the Web was dehumanizing, how it was nothing more than a passing "amusement," and how online communities would never form on it (said by people who ignored or were oblivious that online communities already existed before the Web). That we're having this conversation in an online community, in *Web* browser apps with "http://" up at the top, is clear evidence that those who mocked "everyone who just had to get on the www" back in the day were quite mistaken.

Word to the wise: some of us--more than you might expect--use various technologies (the Web, FB, Twitter, in my particular case--never had much use for Myspace) not because we're "following the latest fad" but because we were early adopters who saw usefulness and potential before the masses did. Don't assume that you somehow already "know" people's reasons for using them or that the reasons are all the cause for "sadly."

As to the particular cases of:

Facebook: I have used it to reconnected with old and faraway high school friends--much to the enrichment of my life--whom I probably never would have without it. At the other end of that phenomenon, I've stayed in contact with people who have left my town over the years through FB as well. Also, I'm in regular contact through it with my sister and mother, and while we still speak on the phone regularly, we get a much more complete sense of what's going on in each other's lives across the miles than we would just from those few things you remember to speak of in long-distance phone calls. I've actually had nice, normal, brief conversations with KT on Facebook (and on Twitter) in a way that never would have happened *here* except maybe in the early, early days before she had a record deal. As she's one of those performers whom I most respect, there isn't very much in this world that I would trade that for. And my different circles of friends--meatspace friends, old high school friends, political activist friends, Second Life friends, and last but not least Nutjob friends--collide and interact with *each other* on my Facebook wall quite regularly, and much to my delight. Hyp didn't know any of you lot before that, because this Forum wasn't something that would have interested her that much. But now, she's friends with Patty, and converses fairly regularly on my wall with Paul and others.

Twitter: Everybody gets something different out of Twitter, because your experience of it is determined almost entirely by whose tweets you follow, and who follows yours. In my particular case, I'm not a political person professionally, but have an academic background in Poli Sci and have always been a politics geek, and so have fallen in with a similar bunch of like-minded, activist-minded people on Twitter, most of them amateurs at it like me--again, in a way that would never have been possible before this particular medium existed. As a side consequence of that, I'm more on the pulse of breaking news through Twitter than through any of the traditional media gatekeeepers--just as a for instance, I was aware of the assassination attempt on Rep. Giffords a good 45 minutes before any of the big media news outlets were even reporting it.

Please, don't make the mistake of assuming that you know everything you need to know about what happens on FB, Twitter, or any other online place, only from seeing them for all of two minutes, or from what the clueless mainstream media tell you they are, or because rightly or wrongly you percieve them as popular only because they're "what the cool kids are doing."

I'm 47, and have been online for nearly half of that; I'm too old to give a damn what the latest fad is. I am, though, as a technology worker, often an early adopter, if the thing is useful enough. Sometimes, things are popular, at least in part, because they're actually useful. It's that same impulse each time that has led me to this place as well as FB, Twitter, the blogosphere, and the Web in general.

Sorry, but I've been a Netizen *much* longer than I've been a Nutjob; hope you'll understand if I feel the need to stand up for my various digital nations.

Z.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:32 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

Cool post Mr Z (and FWIW, you would make a fine Mod).

The point about bandwagons was mainly in regard to recording artists; you look at older CDs and stuff, and depending on their vintage (mid 90s, early 00s, mid-00s) they'll be either making a deal about the latest platform by which to keep up with the times.

I do think, in general, the current technologies are de-humanising people. Both in the manner of their online exchanges, and also their behaviour in the outside world while using it. But that obviously applies less to the types who post on forums sch as this, or who have broader interests, as well as artists like KT, than to some parts of society.

But I still refuse to join la revolucion. This place is fine for me, and this level of communication is what I prefer.

TBC.

Stop The Madness: http://nomorewifi.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 pm 

Those of you who can should wear this with pride :smt023

^my solo project innit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 pm 

Why thankee Señor Eric (you'll always be Generic to me! :-D ), I figured you'd take it in the spirit intended. That's one of the great things about the Web, there are so many kinds of forum interfaces, you can find the level (or in my case levels) of communictation you're comfortable with.

And on that note at a slight tangent, while my personal beef with the changes to the Forum at Tiger Suit time had to do with the way it broke features (PMs, previous message display while posting, Active Topics, Your Posts, Ask Meggles, etc.) as I didn't mind the new look at all, it bugged me that the new look was keeping some folks--most especially you in the way it did--away. I've studied ergonomics enough to know that interfaces are *not* one-size-fits-all, especially when their visual components can affect different brains differently. Glad that the "classic" DF look option is back so that you're around more.

Z.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:10 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

The thing i feel about facebook/twitter vs the forum is that I have blurred the lines between friends and forumers :lol:. I can't remember where ive met half my pals from anymore and ive met about 90% of the forumers that i have on facebook/twitter. I like being able to use one medium to communicate with people from here, college, work etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

:lol: Yes! you sit there thinking now I know you but where are you from? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 pm 

The Judist wrote:
Those of you who can should wear this with pride :smt023

Brilliant :mrg: 8)

TBC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:41 am 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Zathras10 wrote:
That's one of the great things about the Web, there are so many kinds of forum interfaces, you can find the level (or in my case levels) of communictation you're comfortable with.

this is particularly my case. I have a FB account but I hardly use it anymore. I know it works like a charm for the people, like your case Chris, who try to stay in touch with old friends and family, but I can't keep up :lol: there are too many things going on and I just don't have the time, the patience or the will to sit and read through all. Everytime I login to my account I'm like xss25 :lol:

sorry for the off topic :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Location: Paris, France, Europe, World, Universe, Solar System, Galaxy
GUYS

In order to stop people from apologising about being off topic, I've started a thread here
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22659
You can now all be "in topic" over there :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm 
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster

I think that thread is going to go off topic at some point :lol:

Image Image

Patty =)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:28 pm 

Merci beaucoup, Mme OhRay! :smt023

TBC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:19 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

R peoples doing a forum awards this year?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:16 pm 

There's no point, the forum's dead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:55 pm 

Nat wrote:
There's no point, the forum's dead.

Unfortunately so :(

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next