All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cricket thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:42 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

OI...AUSSIE'S..WHOSE NUMBER ONE THEN??..GET IN THERE!!!! :smt041 :smt041

ANDY B... :smt023

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:09 am 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Well said Mr B!

On a domestic note....The White Rose sadly stuck up the White Flag this week and will be pretty certain of Division 2 cricket next season. We have some great young players at Yorkshire, but none of them are yet experienced enough to keep us in Division 1 when the key players have been injured or with England (Bresnan, Shahzad, Bairstow, Gale, Root). Should hopefully come straight back up though.

Also....congrats to the ultimate Cricket Badger....Paul Nixon for signing of by winning the 20/20 cup!

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:06 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

I just can't get into T20 cricket, even after all these years. Not my thing, I guess.

Surrey haven't had too bad a season in all competitions; coach Chris Adams is slowly building a new/young side with some great players like Jason Roy and captain Rory Hamilton-Brown but it's taken way too many years to replace the 90s and early 00s stars.

EG.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:29 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

I've everything crossed to hope Lancs can FINALLY win the County Championship again.

Considering the fact we've no money, got rid of all the "super-stars" and have a relatively inexperienced squad because of all of that we've done far better than I thought we would regardless of what comes next.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 am 

iwficon wrote:
I've everything crossed to hope Lancs can FINALLY win the County Championship again.

Considering the fact we've no money, got rid of all the "super-stars" and have a relatively inexperienced squad because of all of that we've done far better than I thought we would regardless of what comes next.

Almost South African style choking there - beaten by 10 wickets in two days! Sure the Red Rose just had a rubbish match against Worcestershire just to make sure the White Rose goes down! 1934 and all that will have to wait a bit longer maybe?

To be fair no matter what other teams have done, Yorkshire deserve to go down - we've been rubbish :(

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 pm 

Well that was a mixed week....

England continue to prosper in the rain again the Indians. England pinch another player off Yorkshire (Jonny Bairstow...got sledged by him when he was about 10...and that was only in practice!).

SWANNY is gonna be captain....Swann will tear you apart again :D

Yorkshire go down and Lancashire win the championship....the only thing that could make it worse would be Surrey winning the CB40...oh bugger, they did...now the Brown Caps will be crowing as much as the Lankies :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

The last day of the County Championship was the longest work day of my life!

Didn't get much done :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:23 am 

iwficon wrote:
The last day of the County Championship was the longest work day of my life!

Didn't get much done :lol:

I was that badon the final day of the Oval Test in the 2005 Ashes my boss sent me home!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Ha ha.

I was quite lucky in 2005. THe only time I've been in hospital since I was about five was that summer and what with the operation and time off sick I could watch loads of that series!

As for this year, there was about five of us in the office swapping updates all day. Managed to get home in time to see the winning runs :smt023

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Surrey win something at last! :D :smt026 :smt023

I said not long ago they were finally putting together a decent young team. For a while during those doldrum, post-Hollioake years, I wondered whether the county would ever get their act together, or if they were happy to rake in money from corporate sponsors from now on :roll: :smt018 :lol:

Credit to Chris Adams, he had a long-term plan and has eventually got the players to fulfill it. Tom Maynard, Jason Roy, Steven Davies, and the skipper himself....very exciting players (if not all from the Surrey academy). Too much reliance on flashy overseas imports in the past, but the squad is more balanced now and they've even learned how to win 4-day matches :mrg:

Good times. Great to see England remain unbeaten against the Indians, and Bairstow play a blinder from nowhere. I don't think anything else of note happened last week :wink:

EG.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:17 pm 

Well Done Cap'n Swann - same again tomorrow please.

Who has woken Ravi B out of his stupor? Is he finally coming to terms with the fact he could be an England player - or realising if he fluffs it now its last chance saloon time with the Bairstows, Buttlers, Hales etc starting to be picked.

Like come on Bob Willis was back on Matt Prior's case (it was good old Bob who called him dire Prior a few years since) saying Bairstow could boot him out of the test team (he's had one knock Bob - and we need him at Yorkshire!) - Prior was probably our best player over the summer, but competition for places will avoid complacency and drive the ongoing domination plan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

KAS23 wrote:

If only :roll: :lol:

They'll say it's a young side, full of new players (all of whom look very exciting). And that's a fair point. The low target probably made them complacent even if they didn't realise it. At 113 to chase, you'd almost assume it was a done deal, which is always a problem. There's probably not much to worry about, and in some ways it may do them more good than another 10-wicket stroll.

West Indies were also better in the field than the first match (not hard, it's true!).

EG.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:18 am 

eric generic wrote:
KAS23 wrote:

If only :roll: :lol:

They'll say it's a young side, full of new players (all of whom look very exciting). And that's a fair point. The low target probably made them complacent even if they didn't realise it. At 113 to chase, you'd almost assume it was a done deal, which is always a problem. There's probably not much to worry about, and in some ways it may do them more good than another 10-wicket stroll.

West Indies were also better in the field than the first match (not hard, it's true!).

EG.

It was very disappointing - some really brainless batting and genrally when we were sweeping (I shouldn't criticise, I'm a compulsive sweeper) - but yes the odd defeat will stop us getting ideas above our station! (ooh that's very English)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

What happened? I switched off at half time when Nasser Hussain told me that it was game over and that England would walk it...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:57 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

iwficon wrote:
What happened? I switched off at half time...

As did the England team! :roll: :lol:

EG.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next