All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cricket thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:00 am 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

I'm not a huge fan of the old 20/20 bish, bash, bosh....but what a hell of an innings NSW's Dave Warner played in the Champions League yesterday.

JESUS some of those hits were huuuuuuge! :smt009

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Graham Dilley, fast bowler of the 80s and part of the legandary Headingley '81 victory, died todat at only 52 :(

A short battle with cancer is mentioned in a few (but not many) of the artciles and tributes posted on the web. Apparently, his health deterioated at a rate which shocked everyone. Echoes of the way in which the young star of TV's Troy also recently died much quicker than usual from a very, unusually aggressive cancer.

I have my theories, of course, as anyone who reads my blog or the thread on here about EMRs and Wi-fi technology. This is, sadly, only the start of what's ahead for our world.

RIP Graham :smt009

EG.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:46 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

He was before my time but I'd read about his exploits in '81... and 52 is no age. RIP Graham :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Remember him very well...very good cricketer..such a shame.RIP.

ANDY B... :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:03 pm 

Awfully sad news. The Ashes 81 were a few months before my time - but without Dilley the legend of Beefy may never have been the same.

As Andy L said 52 is no age, it's not as if he was a George Best or former sportsman who abused his body.

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:14 am 

It appears the "cosmopolitan" England cricket team picked the wrong Pattinson brother! :lol:

To be fair - James had a more inept batting line-up to bowl at than big bro Darren did in 2008 vs SA

The Aussies now think they have a world beating bowling attack in Pattinson, Paddy Cummins and Nathan Lyon - with a collective experience of 8 test matches. Promising yes - not the finished article yet though cobbers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:55 am 
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster

^ Well I don't know about that - more like a media beat-up surely :roll:, but the signs are quite promising re: our young quicks & Nathan Lyon. Same can't be said for our top order though - Phil Hughes needs to be dropped & stay dropped, the guy's very inconsistent. Dave Warner wasn't much better, but at least he's decent in the field with catches etc.

KT Tunstall wrote:
Go for it lads! Ping their hair-bands into their eyes and come back victorious!
I still consider getting wasted as an artistic pursuit.
Music, too, can be a route out of places too dark to stay.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 am 

ontheothersideoftheworld wrote:
^ Well I don't know about that - more like a media beat-up surely :roll:, but the signs are quite promising re: our young quicks & Nathan Lyon. Same can't be said for our top order though - Phil Hughes needs to be dropped & stay dropped, the guy's very inconsistent. Dave Warner wasn't much better, but at least he's decent in the field with catches etc.

I would agree Warner is more worth persisting with than Hughes - he's a hell of a fielder, if it's within catching distance you know 99% of the time the batsmans a gonner.

It's the way Daniel Brettig on Cricinfo has decided after 1 five fer each for Cummins and Pattinson that they are the finished article. We all thought that about Jimmy Anderson and look how long it took him to finally become the real deal (about 6-8 years), and then Jonny Bairstow smacks a couple of breesy innings against India at home and is then out of his depth in India....hyperbole early in the careers of these lads can be more damaging than taking an early pasting.

Gotta feel sorry for Dan Vettori though - he's still having to prop his country up even after getting rid of the captaincy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:49 am 

I know NZ will be a bit of a cakewalk (although I am hoping the next Test might be more of a contest), but India will be a challenge on our home turf, given that they are supposedly the 2nd ranked Test side atm. If I were that Cricinfo guy, I wouldn't be describing Cummins & Pattinson as the real deal yet. Both men are at an age where their bodies are still developing somewhat (Cummins 18, Pattinson 21) and they're both still trying to find their feet on the bigger stages. Hell, not even Warne & McGrath were finished products when they both burst onto the scene.

I think because we as the Aussie public expect so much of our cricketers after such a dominant era, that we're finding it hard being in a rebuilding phase and are somewhat desperate to hurry back to the top again. All of that is going to take time and much nurturing of our up & coming talent. I will admit that aside from the 47-run innings blip in South Africa, Michael Clarke's doing an alright job as captain so far...although it helps when you don't have run leakers like Mitchell Johnson in your side. :lol:

On the flipside, have the English press become more vocal etc now that/since you guys are at the top of the Test rankings, or have they stopped giving a toss? (I do realise its the wrong time of year to be discussing such things, what with the football season well under way and all.)

KT Tunstall wrote:
Go for it lads! Ping their hair-bands into their eyes and come back victorious!
I still consider getting wasted as an artistic pursuit.
Music, too, can be a route out of places too dark to stay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:48 am 

ontheothersideoftheworld wrote:
On the flipside, have the English press become more vocal etc now that/since you guys are at the top of the Test rankings, or have they stopped giving a toss? (I do realise its the wrong time of year to be discussing such things, what with the football season well under way and all.)

Unfortunately our press are very good at hyperbole! As soon as a sports team look like they are going somewhere (cos we don't win a great deal) they jump on the bandwagon (i.e. The 2003 RWC winning team) and then drop them like a stone after a few bad results.

A proper English cricket fan will always have that perverse feeling of pleasure that another disaster is looming on the horizon and that currently we are just a little bit lucky. But having said that we seem to have structures in place that mean we should keep producing proper English talent (not the continual imports - but I suppose that is the nature of immigration, and we have a hell of a lot of it) that can compete on the world stage consistently - even if not as long term #1.

Currently we do so well in test cricket because we show military planning, high discipline and execute within our skills bases - bat longer, bowl tighter, field better. This is why we are no good at 50 overs because it means we have to play more of a game of poker that you can't always plan for - more risk - where in test cricket we've looked to remove risk. No doubt the exceedingly highly driven Flower will be looking to address that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

It's just bizarre how bad England still are at 50-overs cricket. But then the domestic structure got rid of the format a couple of years ago, and made it 40-overs instead :roll: :lol:

EG.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 pm 

eric generic wrote:
It's just bizarre how bad England still are at 50-overs cricket. But then the domestic structure got rid of the format a couple of years ago, and made it 40-overs instead :roll: :lol:

EG.

That seemed to be a mixture of the only place where the county game still holds the ECB by the balls and the thought that the world game would soon get rid of 50 overs in favour of something different.

I'm not quite going down the same line as Graeme Swann and thinking 50 overs should be canned but why play 5 or 7 match 50 over series followed by 1 x 20/20. It would probably be better for the game to play 3 of each. But 50 overs is a cash cow and subs test matches in most countries other than England and Australia.

While we're on one dayers - it really bugs me that batsmen can change their bats for heavier ones as they go through their innings! MS Dhoni is an awful culprit - starts with a light one and then goes heavy in the last 10. The game is so loaded in favour of the batsmen already they should bat with the bat they start with otherwise it breaks.

Is it obvious I'm a bowler???? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

I'd go further than Swanny and get rid of all ODI cricket, 50 overs, 20 overs, golden overs of tiddlywinks, whatever :p

One-Day cricket bores the pants off me; it's always the same. And there is FAR too much of it. It was okay in the 80s and 90s, when you'd just get a big international tournament here and there. and the counties would play a gentle game on a Sunday (ah, the John Player League haha).

EG.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am 

Good effort from Jimmy Anderson on darts commentry last night....just answered the questions from Gwynny and didn't try to be an OTT Sid Waddell tribute acte like Freddie last year :smt005

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 am 

It's pretty bad as and England fan when you want a Test debutant to fail! Especially when he's a Yorkshireman :lol:

That was the case for most of us this week when Jonny Bairstow walked to the crease. Some of the lads at my club played Grammar school cricket against him and laughed when he wore a bouncer. I just remember being sledged by the arrogant git when he was 12 :oops: