All times are UTC

Post subject: Tunstall on "frightening" tinnitus
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:54 am 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Just found this, had no idea that KT suffered...or that she would go to a Spice Girls concert!! :lol:

http://www.burnleycitizen.co.uk/uk_national_entertainment/9041598.Tunstall_on__frightening__tinnitus/

:D

8/4/08 Ipswich Regent, 13/9/09 Harvest at Jimmy's, 19/10/10 The Junction, Cambridge, 17/11/13 Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, 28/11/15 Royal Albert Hall (Jools Holland), 10/12/15 BFI (Live score performance), 31/5/16 The Tabernacle, London, 6/11/16 Cambridge Corn Exchange, 9/11/16 Shepherds Bush Empire

Post subject: Re: Tunstall on "frightening" tinnitus
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:34 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

My dad has tinnitus, didn't know KT does. Is Hear The World a charity? Their website is too large to view on my phone. If so, a candidate for next year?
Also yeah with the Spice Girls thing.
My dad finds music distracts him from it.
Over the Easter break on one of the BBC radio stations, Jeremy Vine had a programme discussing it, it was very insightful.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:58 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

A few observations:

This proves how concert volume levels are FAR too loud, whether you're near the speakers or not. Likewise the cinemas. It's not clever to have the volume so loud that it can actually distort. The result is tinnitus and eventually hearing loss if you don't protect yourself from it, or just avoid it.

Tinnitus is now an occupational hazard for musicians, be they the oldschool likes of Townshend, Phil Collins, etc. or the newer acts (KT included). Heavy iPod use will also make this an incredibly common problem in the near future. Hearing loss among the 20-30 age group has rapidly increased in recent years.

It's also why modern music is mastered so badly. People with damaged hearing are producing records too loudly because their own perception is skewed from what they're hearing themselves, and also to cater for a very noisy world. This myth that 80s CDs sound too quiet because they were mastered incorrectly or badly is, frankly, BS. They're fine. But they'll sound too quiet if you play them next to modern, overloaded mastering with your own already desensitised 21st century ears.

I had tinnitus for about 10 years, triggered by incessant major roadworks outside my home which I couldn't escape from due to being completely bed-ridden at the time. So I know exactly what KT means when she talks about it being frightening and driving you mad. It just does not stop. And, for me, it hurt like hell too.

EG.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:22 pm 

It sounds horrible :smt009

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:48 pm 

I didn't know KT suffered. I know I get ringing a bit after some gigs, but it's usually gone by morning. I use ear-plugs most of the day as I work in a factory environment, but don't use them at gigs...I may pay the price in the future?

On the other hand this article is obviously doing the rounds of the local press as I read it here before I came on the board tonight: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/hea ... s_hearing/

EDIT: forgot to mention I use defenders when I'm using the heavy machinery when preparing the cricket ground (roller, ride on mower and hand mowers) they are all noisy and we can be using them for 4 hour stretches

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

Last edited by KAS23 on Mon May 30, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

My ears always ring, I work in a nightclub :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 pm 

KT made my ears make it seem like I was underwater after the gig at the AB in '08. It didn't disappear until the next day. Highly annoying. I'm not sure I could live with tinnitus if it were constantly there, it drove me absolutely nuts for just the one day!
You'd think I'd have the ringing too. But then again I'm already partly deaf on the one ear so maybe I've got a buffer...

I read that article the other day in the train and promptly put my noise-protection on on my iPod :lol:

Thanks for posting :smt023

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm 

I've lived with tinnitus for 30 years now. Got it when I worked as a worker bee, setting up huge loudspeakers for arena rock shows. I'm almost positive the majority of the damage was done when I stood too close to the main speakers during a Cheap Trick sound check back in 1981. These are speakers that are ordinarily supposed to be elevated, but were placed on the floor because of a smaller venue. In hindsight, there should have been no excuse to have the amplification for that venue as I watched half the audience cringe and grab their ears at various points. I literally lost my hearing from that show and after it came back hours later, I had ringing that never stopped. Curiously, it never bothered me. I've heard of people who develop depression, etc from persistent tinnitus. It's just something I've been able to ignore although some days it's louder than others. I had my hearing checked and I'm in the normal for range and balance, go figure.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:33 am 

It can't be nice to have constant tinnitus.. I've had the post-gig ringing that a lot of people get, but I couldn't imagine it being there all the time. I scared myself a few years ago when I stood next to the speakers at a school band's gig (where the police were called to ask for the volume to be turned down because it was disturbing people who lived near the venue, so I don't know what I was thinking/how I wasn't being blown away :roll: ) and was deaf for a day and then had ringing for 4 days before it eventually went away. I convinced myself I'd ruined my ears and have tried to be a lot more careful since.

Fingers crossed KT's doesn't get any worse.

But I'll stand my ground, and I won't back down"

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:40 am 

Well I certainly don't want it to become worse, so I wear hearing protection religiously. I even wear them under my helmet when riding motorcycle (persistent wind noise is also potentially damaging.)

I agree with Eric in there is a lack of understanding from recording professionals when it comes to over-volume and distorted recordings. We had this discussion in the past but in the context of poor equalization and engineering the sound for cheap devices. Not only does it wreck the sound, it wrecks our ears.