All times are UTC

Post subject: Changing her stripes: KT Tunstall takes detour with TS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:37 am 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Very long article... I'm quoting the most interesting part, in my opinion:

Quote:
Those who are familiar with Tunstall's two previous CDs, "Eye to the Telescope" and "Drastic Fantastic" will probably sense just from Tunstall's words that "Tiger Suit" represents a distinctly different turn in her sound.

That's not to suggest there was anything wrong with Tunstall's blend of frisky folk and hooky pop. Her 2006 debut, "Eye to the Telescope," became a huge hit behind "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" and another hit single, "Suddenly I See," selling some 4 million copies worldwide.

Her 2007 followup, "Drastic Fantastic," didn't spawn any big radio hits, and some labeled it a commercial disappointment. Tunstall doesn't share the opinion.

"My yardstick for success is so disconnected from sales and numbers, because my experience with that second record was filling bigger venues than I ever had, seeing fans really loving what we were doing and singing every word," Tunstall said. "The second album sold a million copies. So you just think who's that a failure for? Really, what that's a failure for is the guy who's trying to make money. I was delighted that a million people heard and bought that record. They were certainly coming to the shows, and that's my bar."

But if Tunstall was feeling just fine about how her career was progressing, she wasn't as comfortable artistically. After finishing the "Drastic Fantastic" tour, she felt she needed to find a way to push the envelope artistically.

Getting to that point turned out to be a major battle for Tunstall, who saw her confidence slip, as she fell into periods of self-doubt on the path to making "Tiger Suit."

The first episode came when Tunstall decided to participate in a boat trip to Greenland with the Cape Farewell organization. The trip involved a number of artists from different disciplines creating art to raise awareness of climate change, and Tunstall hoped it would spark her creativity. Instead, almost the opposite happened.

"It was a wonderful trip, and it was a really difficult trip at the same time because it was me embarking on making this new record. I knew how deeply I wanted to impress myself and excite myself and push myself," she said. "And I was just with all of these very, very hard-hitting, sensitive, very impressive people. And my ego got out a big machete and just started fighting me, chopping off each finger going, 'You won't need that.' And there was just this moment when I didn't want to be there. I didn't want to feel competitive. I didn't want my ego."

The rest talks more about TS, about Eddie Cochran and Leftfield influences, the 75 songs recorded, etc...

Complete article:

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainmen ... eaeb7.html

Post subject: Re: Changing her stripes: KT Tunstall takes detour with TS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

An interesting read....that after all the years KT has been in the industry, she still suffers a lot of self-doubt - the on-stage Tiger Suit really works.

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:37 pm 

Thanks for that, it is a good read!

Any self doubt she had should be sufficiently quashed on this solo tour. She's filling venues and satisfying enthusiastic audiences with just herself, the guitars and looping. I can't think of many performers who can pull that off for the whole show. She should be very proud of her musical growth this last year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:20 am 
Tiny Tim's Ukelele
Tiny Tim's Ukelele

STPK wrote:
Thanks for that, it is a good read!

Any self doubt she had should be sufficiently quashed on this solo tour. She's filling venues and satisfying enthusiastic audiences with just herself, the guitars and looping. I can't think of many performers who can pull that off for the whole show. She should be very proud of her musical growth this last year.

I totally agree....I saw her live on april 19 in Kansas and she was awesome.
Her ability to come up with different arrangements of her songs is amazing such as the one she played at the show of Little Favours. A slowed down version she plays with her piano and a loop of percussion.
She had us cracking up with her wit and sense of humor.