All times are UTC

Post subject: KT Tunstall on the perils of playing it safe (The Times)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:01 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Typed up by moi from The Times's 'Playlist' TV/radio guide, as most of their website is behind a paywall...

Quote:
Guest columnist KT Tunstall on the perils of playing it safe creatively

I'm amazed that it's only now, having been on a major label for seven years, and after a skip-load of champagne corks popped to celebrate seemingly impossible achievements, and a fundamental upheaval in the music industry, that I fully realise that ideas provide the only path to real success. The kind of success that brings with it an Utopian vocation - the kind that takes you from behind the bar to behind the mike, and lets you be paid for it.

Marketing campaigns, promotion (or "promogeddon" as it was recently called by a friend), the internet: all these often claim to be equal players. But without ideas they are tools with no material.

I am sometimes too polite to take rotten creative advice and shove it off a cliff where it belongs. But dilution; this is a tougher beast. When a watery stock is added to a potent mix, all of a sudden your unique creation looks more like Oliver's second bowl of slop.

"Ah, but he did want more, didn't he?" I hear you cry. But is that really what we all want? Why does it seem that there is less support for original ideas than there used to be? The major labels might be getting too scared to take any risks. But isn't it more risky to play it safe with creativity? Music is digested so differently now that it demands a shift in how it is delivered.

A good friend and musician, The Pictish Trail, runs the fantastic Fence Records label with our mutual buddy, King Creosote, all from a fishing village in Fife. You could say I gestated in this scene through the Nineties. With us on tour, Pictish plays an amazing opening set and by day runs his fierce little independent label. It is a success. He is behind the mike.

This is how I see a brighter future for all of us, artists and industry alike: original ideas and creative independence are the keys to staying power.

Post subject: Re: KT Tunstall on the perils of playing it safe (The Times)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Thanks for that, Andy :smt023

I must admit the title of the piece had me hoping for something a bit more incisive and perceptive, instead of the usual generalised hippy-idealistic stuff. Difficult to judge the context, not having seen the magazine and how the article/quotes fit in, but to talk about the perils of playing it safe and not mention her DF experience was a shame :lol:

EG.

Post subject: Re: KT Tunstall on the perils of playing it safe (The Times)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:31 am 
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster

Thanks for that.

Not sure about the article itself, but I do like the imagery of this quote:

Quote:
When a watery stock is added to a potent mix, all of a sudden your unique creation looks more like Oliver's second bowl of slop.

KT Tunstall wrote:
Go for it lads! Ping their hair-bands into their eyes and come back victorious!
I still consider getting wasted as an artistic pursuit.
Music, too, can be a route out of places too dark to stay.