All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT in The Americas - 2013
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:44 pm 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Oh the excitement is KILLING me! Bring on Fri & Sat!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Well here is my review from the Mpls show.

The venue was sort of strange. The interior is best described as an old basketball court (my friend said there used to be hoops hanging at either end.) Hard to imagine this place ever being any sort of a movie or play theater (as I've heard from others.) There were ~450 fold-up chairs arranged in the classic theater layout (angled on the sides.) We got there before the doors opened but there was already a line ~100 deep. Tracy and Pat were near the front so I asked them to save us four chairs (this was Gen Admission seating.) This venue makes no bones, they have signs in the lobby that makes it clear this is a quiet artist performance venue.

Tracy scored us seats in the second row center. I was probably only 10 feet from KT. I got some great shots of the looping pedal and set list. Brian Lopez came out and he is really good as a guitar and voice. A bit too mellow for me but probably better than the guy that opened her last show at the Fine Line.

KT came out and IMO treated us to the best show I have ever seen. I complained loudly about her Scarlet Tulip solo show tour in a nightclub and this venue provided to proper backdrop for her sweet voice and tender guitar. She still amped up for the upbeat tunes. I think she appreciated playing for a quiet seated audience and thanked us for the applause on each and every song. I agree that she seems to be finding a spot as a musician/comedian. I never was a big fan of her long winded chatting but here she kept the chatting to only 15-30 seconds that would end in a funny quip and I can dig that.

Without giving you a song by song review, let me say that it's my opinion that her piano is getting much better (did three songs on the keyboard and kept apologizing to the audience seated way on the side because they were obstructed a bit.) I also saw a confidence and command with her performance that was not really present on any prior show (with the exception of the small show she did at Sneaky Pete's.) Again, some of this I blame on the venue because it can't be easy to play a loud nightclub where people are yakking during the songs. She had everyone's attention for this show and she played each song to perfection. Point of humor is she did White Bird, which I really don't care for but it was a good song live.

After the show she came out and spent quality time with everyone. There is no artist that I know who is so willing to accommodate her rabid fans. There was probably 30 people waiting but she still signed every autograph and accommodated every photo. This would include one young man who drove up from Nebraska with his gift (TRodge on the Give for KT thread.) I think watching him in so much enthusiastic excitement over meeting KT made my night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:40 am 
Tiny Tim's Ukelele
Tiny Tim's Ukelele

I saw her in Milwaukee on Friday and was blown away! It was the 2nd time I've seen her, but I've been a fan for a long time. I wish I would have went to the Chicago show too but I couldn't make it. I can't wait til she comes around again... when she does I'll definitely see her in Chicago & Milwaukee if she does both. I hope she does Indy too because my aunt lives out there and wants to see her too.

Anyway, I waited around and got to meet her. She was really cool, signed the Live in London 2013 CD I bought, and took a picture with me. I was a bit taken aback my meeting someone whose music has meant so much to me for such a long time but she was super friendly, as expected.

Chimes and Alchemy were probably my favorites of the night, but really the whole show was fantastic. I was happy to hear Through the Dark, didn't expect to get to hear that one! Probably the best live show I've seen, and it was great seeing her solo! I hope she does the next one solo too. Do you guys think she will, or think she'll bring a band along with her next go-around?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:31 am 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

So who's coming to the Great Pacific Northwest for shows in Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver? I was able to see her in Philly and DC (show #50 for yours truly) last week and agree this tour is not to be missed. C'mon... it was 71 degrees and sunny today in Seattle...for real. :smt041

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:18 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

DavidESQ wrote:
So who's coming to the Great Pacific Northwest for shows in Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver? I was able to see her in Philly and DC (show #50 for yours truly) last week and agree this tour is not to be missed. C'mon... it was 71 degrees and sunny today in Seattle...for real. :smt041
So, was that you I met standing towards the front of the line in DC?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 pm 

Hmm...do I owe you money? If not, yep that was me in line. :smt023

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:56 am 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

Hi guys! :smt006 Great reviews! Can' t believe it has been over 2 years since most of us have been to a KT gig! So excited about the LA show on saturday!

Was wondering , what merch is available on this tour?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:14 am 

Pretty much everything was available in merch. Even saw some vinyl IECM. Beautiful full picture shirt of the album. CDs including the London Live, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Location: Paris, France, Europe, World, Universe, Solar System, Galaxy
Lisa1 wrote:
I'm just beginning to come down from my high after last night's show in Nashville. KT was in rare form I must say. My husband even said it was like a concert and comedy show all rolled into one and I totally agree. I knew I was missing KT but forgot just how much I love seeing her live. I was quickly reminded why I am so obsessed. KT is the only artist I know that connects in such a way that I feel I am the only person in the room, each song feeding my soul and at the same time reminding me that I am human and how wonderful that is.

KT was especially excited to be playing Nashville again. She proudly pointed out her new bolo tie, which she bought in one of the shops in town, saying it was her first time wearing a bolo. She wore it well along with gold pants and a black vest, stating she was paying homage to Nashville, Elvis, and Cash.

One of the highlights of the show happened midway through when KT thanked us all for coming out to see her when there was so much to do in Nashville and in true KT fashion she pulled a note out of her pocket and began telling us of some of the other things going on around town during her show. East end story telling, Alash Ensemble throat singers performing at 3rd & Lindsley. KT then proceeded to set up her mic and "throat sing". It was awesome. That banter lead into the fastest version of BH&TCC I have ever seen, complete with the kazoo and Seven Nation Army bit in the middle. Also, she said that one of the things she loves most about Nashville is that the audience always wants the song to go on longer saying it's the only town where she could play "six ends".

It's a toss up for me which song I enjoyed the most but I think I have narrowed it down to Through the Dark and Chimes. I hadn't heard TTD live in so long. It was always one of my favorites live and it felt new to me last night. Absolutely beautiful and more poignant than ever. I didn't want it to end. Chimes, what can I say about this song live? It wasn't an immediate stand out for me on the album but the way she transforms this one live is absolutely entrancing. To set up the song on the loop and then hand off the guitar seems to invite you into the song in a way I have never experienced a song and to stop singing and walk to the edge of the stage to say "thank you and good night" while the loop is still going made such and impact on me. At the end of it all I felt as if I had to say goodbye to a friend and that saddened me a bit but KT did come to the edge of the stage and shake hands, mine included and I forgot all about being sad.. :lol:

Here is the set list:

Invisible Empire
Carried
White Bird
Other Side Of The World
Funny Man
Yellow Flower
Through The Dark
Black Horse
Alchemy
Feel It All
Boys Of Summer
Made Of Glass

Encore:

Crescent Moon
Suddenly I See
Chimes

We hung out after the show for a while and KT did come out to say hello. She was as gracious as ever. I can't wait to see her again.

Brian Lopez opened and KT mentioned that he did a lot of backing vocals and guitar work on her newest album. I like his voice and think he is a great guitar player. I just wish his songs had more substance. I couldn't really relate to them and felt that they all sounded the same. It didn't matter to me though, I needed time for my bourbon to kick in so I could relax into KT's set and that it did :lol:

I love reading this type of review, filled with love and passion.
Very happy you had such an amazing time Lisa, thanks for sharing :-D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 pm 

DavidESQ wrote:
Hmm...do I owe you money? If not, yep that was me in line. :smt023
Owe me money? What a concept, but no. Being it was just my second KT gig I could
actually make it to It was cool to meet another KT nutjob in person. Howdy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:55 pm 

I'm glad to see that everyone is enjoying her shows as much as I did. David, I will be in Portland and Seattle. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing you when I attended those shows in 2008? O'Ray, you're welcome. Great to "see" you on the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 am 

DavidESQ wrote:

how did I miss you in Philly :?

I was front row center one seat to right of mic 8)

Did you hang out after in the street out back?

Work is sending me to DC so I will miss the GPNW this time round :( :(

SK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 pm 

I can't wait for tonight. It's been way too long! I have one spare tick for tomorrow night, the 12th if someone's interested. SUpposedly it's sold out. Not surprised!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:28 am 

Excuse the long post but sometimes I just can’t help myself where KT is involved.. lol.
Pacific Northwest KT adventures… where do I begin? First of all, let me thank ST and her hubby Chris for their hospitality. It was fantastic to see you both again and have the opportunity to spend time with you.
On the day of KT’s show in Portland, I met up with ST in the early afternoon hours and joined her for a fantastic mini concert and radio interview with a quick photo opportunity at the end. This was held at the Bing Lounge for Kink FM. ST’s hubby Chris was so generous to give up his ticket for someone more “nutjobby” than himself. That would be me.. lol. ST and I were front row and it was awesome! Here is the set list:
Invisible Empire
Interview
Old Man Song
Feel It All
Made of Glass

Here is a link to the Kink FM page that has KT’s set as a podcast or videos:

http://www.kink.fm/10/16/13/KT-Tunstall ... eedID=9502

Now, on to the Portland gig! The venue was the Aladdin Theatre and, as with most recent venues, it appears to have been a movie theatre at one point and seating was general admission. There was a bar attached to the venue and I was able to meet Jess and her bf there for a drink before the show.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to score a set list for this show and can’t remember the set list but it was very close if not exactly the same as the Nashville show with the exception of maybe one song. Maybe ST can remember the song? KT’s energy seemed a bit low for this show. She didn’t have as much banter between songs and didn’t even do the “things you are missing out on by being here” bit. I was able to snag a cool promo poster from the lobby and had KT sign it after the show.

The Seattle gig was the very next night and we were able to get into town with plenty of time to spare. We were lined up early to get a good seat and it worked because we scored front row! The energy was really high for this show. KT was back on her game. Her funny banter was back in full force. She told a hilarious recount of filming the video for Invisible Empire and explained how the horse wasn’t trained because they didn’t have the budget for that so she was basically on this wild horse running all over the beach, trying not to trample families who were at the beach until the film crew would say they were ready for her at which point she would ride through and try not to look in a panic.. lol All because she wanted to be in Game of Thrones.. lol

At one point during the show KT dropped her bottle of water and it spilled all over the wires and plugs right next to her monitor. She froze for a moment, looked off stage and simply said “I don’t want to die”. Her guitar guy ran out with a towel and cleaned it all up. Crisis averted but there was a humming noise for the next few songs that eventually went away.

The full set list was:

Invisible Empire
Carried
White Bird
Stopping the Love
Still a Weirdo
Yellow Flower
Lost
Black Horse
Alchemy
Golden Frames
Feel It All
Boys Of Summer
Made Of Glass

Encore:

Crescent Moon
Suddenly I See
Chimes

Before singing Stopping the Love she said she accidentally swallowed a trumpet player as a child and if we cheer enough perhaps he would play for us. She stopped at the appropriate time to encourage us to cheer and then did cool mouth trumpet solo. She really is the one woman band!

I've only heard Lost live once before and it was really great to hear it again especially as good as KT's voice is this tour.

After the show we were all standing around on the front row talking about what a great show it was and trying to soak in what we just experienced when we heard a familiar voice behind us say “Hey guys”. To our amazement we turned to see Brandi Carlile standing there. She recognized us and came down to say hello and even gave us all hugs and stood there talking with us for a while about the show until security made us all leave. Damn them.. :lol: It turns out Brandi is a fan of KT and was just as excited about the show as we were. How cool!

After the show I had the chance to say hi to KT one last time on this tour since Seattle was the last stop for me. I didn’t go on to Vancouver the next night though I was very tempted. I told KT I think I have had my fix to get me through until the next tour but please don’t make me wait so long next time! She laughed and gave me a hug. In the end all I can say is KT STILL RULES.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 am 

Great writeup Lissa and I might add that....a number of us MPLS nutjobs would have probably fainted if Brandi Carlile came up to us at a KT gig! :smt023

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next