All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT in The Americas - 2013
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:54 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Oh, I didn't notice you can scroll through the pictures in that review. I just had a look and they are very nice pics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Just curious but these shows all sound like theater or assorted seated venues? The videos I am seeing do not sound like a bar crowd (which I am grateful since I hate songs ruined by bar noise.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:03 pm 

It appears this is the case STPK. The Nashville show is actually in an old movie theatre. I am also very excited about this because I can't stand a bunch of chatter while I'm trying to listen to the show.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 pm 

^Although for a couple of songs (think SIS) people were standing up dancing in place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:31 pm 

I'm just beginning to come down from my high after last night's show in Nashville. KT was in rare form I must say. My husband even said it was like a concert and comedy show all rolled into one and I totally agree. I knew I was missing KT but forgot just how much I love seeing her live. I was quickly reminded why I am so obsessed. KT is the only artist I know that connects in such a way that I feel I am the only person in the room, each song feeding my soul and at the same time reminding me that I am human and how wonderful that is.

KT was especially excited to be playing Nashville again. She proudly pointed out her new bolo tie, which she bought in one of the shops in town, saying it was her first time wearing a bolo. She wore it well along with gold pants and a black vest, stating she was paying homage to Nashville, Elvis, and Cash.

One of the highlights of the show happened midway through when KT thanked us all for coming out to see her when there was so much to do in Nashville and in true KT fashion she pulled a note out of her pocket and began telling us of some of the other things going on around town during her show. East end story telling, Alash Ensemble throat singers performing at 3rd & Lindsley. KT then proceeded to set up her mic and "throat sing". It was awesome. That banter lead into the fastest version of BH&TCC I have ever seen, complete with the kazoo and Seven Nation Army bit in the middle. Also, she said that one of the things she loves most about Nashville is that the audience always wants the song to go on longer saying it's the only town where she could play "six ends".

It's a toss up for me which song I enjoyed the most but I think I have narrowed it down to Through the Dark and Chimes. I hadn't heard TTD live in so long. It was always one of my favorites live and it felt new to me last night. Absolutely beautiful and more poignant than ever. I didn't want it to end. Chimes, what can I say about this song live? It wasn't an immediate stand out for me on the album but the way she transforms this one live is absolutely entrancing. To set up the song on the loop and then hand off the guitar seems to invite you into the song in a way I have never experienced a song and to stop singing and walk to the edge of the stage to say "thank you and good night" while the loop is still going made such and impact on me. At the end of it all I felt as if I had to say goodbye to a friend and that saddened me a bit but KT did come to the edge of the stage and shake hands, mine included and I forgot all about being sad.. :lol:

Here is the set list:

Invisible Empire
Carried
White Bird
Other Side Of The World
Funny Man
Yellow Flower
Through The Dark
Black Horse
Alchemy
Feel It All
Boys Of Summer
Made Of Glass

Encore:

Crescent Moon
Suddenly I See
Chimes

We hung out after the show for a while and KT did come out to say hello. She was as gracious as ever. I can't wait to see her again.

Brian Lopez opened and KT mentioned that he did a lot of backing vocals and guitar work on her newest album. I like his voice and think he is a great guitar player. I just wish his songs had more substance. I couldn't really relate to them and felt that they all sounded the same. It didn't matter to me though, I needed time for my bourbon to kick in so I could relax into KT's set and that it did :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 am 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Hahaha...awesome review, Lisa! :D SO jealous that you'll be seeing her again in a couple of weeks. Still tempted to play hooky and fly to Seattle. :) I wish.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:53 am 

Mis wrote:
Hahaha...awesome review, Lisa! :D SO jealous that you'll be seeing her again in a couple of weeks. Still tempted to play hooky and fly to Seattle. :) I wish.

Thanks Mis. I wish you could make it out west as well. It's too bad the gigs are in the middle of the week. That makes it tough to get away from work responsibilities. I'm looking forward to the next shows because I was a bit wound up last night after not seeing KT for so long... lol.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:17 pm 

Thanks for the review Lisa. I did miss a song on the set list for DC - looking at what you listed, I think it was the same for DC. Need to fix it.

Totally agree with you on TTD and Chimes! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 pm 

Yes, it was the exact same set list as DC. I know this because I got a copy of the set list from her guitar tech and it says DC on the top instead of Nashville. I was surprised to hear White Bird. I would say that was the most random song of the night.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 pm 

Cheers to everyone, especially Lisa1, for taking time to post their review of the shows!

It's getting me all jacked about Saturday night's Mpls show. This show has been sold out for weeks, which I find encouraging that she has a loyal base of fans that make sure they see every show she performs here. Course maybe those Walmart commercials are adding a new generation, LOL!

I saw on line that this will be a Seated Gen Admission. So hopefully we are going to be treated to a theater type show. Just cannot deal with yapping bar noise during Invisible Empire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:58 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

I think that's probably the case Paul, since the venue used to be a movie theater. It was the Cedar Theatre when I was going to the U.--they'd run low-cost, second-run double-bills of a somewhat hipster bent: independent films, cult films, foreign films, etc. It's where I originally saw Rock 'N' Roll High School. :-D

Z.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 pm 

You just dated yourself.

I'd ask about dining establishments, but you would probably point me to some old cafe where Bob Dylan used to hang out. :smt043

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 pm 

STPK wrote:
You just dated yourself.

I'd ask about dining establishments, but you would probably point me to some old cafe where Bob Dylan used to hang out. :smt043

Oi! I ain't *that* old, old man. ;-)

Dunno about dining establishments any more these days. There was once a really nice pub with a good kitchen at Riverside and 19th, but it's apparently a Holistic Health Clinic now. This *is* Cedar-Riverside, so that's no surprise. :-D

Checking, though. OMG, Davanni's is still there! It was Pontillo's back when I was there, but at least in the early 80s they had killer pizza. It's a few blocks away from the venue at 25th and Riverside. Let's see, there's also a Thai place called Chai's and a sausages-and-burgers place called The Wienery that are both right next door to the venue, but they're way after my time, so I've no idea about them. Up at the end of the block at 4th and Cedar is the 400 Bar still, which I definitely remember. About half way between the 400 and the venue it looks like there's a little place called Sahara Restaurant which advertises East African cuisine. If you're into the ethnic adventure dining thing, there's probably a lot to choose from near the venue since apparently Riverside Plaza is now home to a lot of Somali immigrants.

Google Streetview is a really fun toy. ;-)

Edit: Damn, looks like the 400 Bar closed down last year. So much for popping up there for a drink before and/or after the gig. Oh well.

Z.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:30 pm 

Haha, you are actually younger than me by a year or two I believe.

The 400 did close after it's last gasp attempt at being a full blown concert venue. They didn't have bad shows but for some reason they couldn't compete. Probably because there are too many concert/club venues at this time.

Yes, the area is pretty well Somali now, not that it's a bad thing. The force is in place to ensure the West Bank/Riverside remains a viable cultural scene.

I made reservations at the renown Mpls Town Hall Brewery. Doubt we will run into KT before the show there but I wanted to check this place out. But at the chance KT is reading this, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:56 am 

STPK wrote:
Cheers to everyone, especially Lisa1, for taking time to post their review of the shows!

It's getting me all jacked about Saturday night's Mpls show. This show has been sold out for weeks, which I find encouraging that she has a loyal base of fans that make sure they see every show she performs here. Course maybe those Walmart commercials are adding a new generation, LOL!

I saw on line that this will be a Seated Gen Admission. So hopefully we are going to be treated to a theater type show. Just cannot deal with yapping bar noise during Invisible Empire.

You're welcome Paul. You are in for a treat tomorrow night! The Nashville show was also in a venue that was originally an old movie theatre and was seated general admission. The crowd was perfectly quiet during the quiet bits and cheered at all of the right moments... it was fantastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next