All times are UTC

Post subject: Ann Arbor Saturday May 17
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:18 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Yikes - no AA thread!!!!!

Picked SlowSoulKiss up at the Detroit airport. Had a leisurely lunch. Dropped her off at her hotel to freshen up whilst I did a potty run with my dogs. Bought a couple of new 4 gig SDHC cards.

About to head out to the Detroit Shock WNBA game where KT is playing at halftime. (Thanks so much for the tip Sherry) Then we'll bust out to do the hour drive to AA. The big show doesn't start until 8:00. Think we can draft behind KT's limo????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:35 pm 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Have a great time tonight!! :smt023

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:52 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Location: Paris, France, Europe, World, Universe, Solar System, Galaxy
Have a top night Linda and let us know how it went! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:03 pm 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Have a great time! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:33 am 

Awesome! The music sucked all thoughts out of my brain. Need to recuperate. Tamara and I were totally speechless afterwards, the best of the best.

I told KT afterwards - she gets you to a pinnacle, the top of the world and just when you think you can go no higher ...... you do, as you float on her words, tones, rhythms, melodies, and harmonies like a cloud wafting over Mt Everest .

Set list same as Chicago, except she did not do Paper Aeroplane. She did *my* song, tears ran down my cheeks as she sang solo .... Throw Me A Rope.

Need food, need hydration, need sleep - G'nite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:53 am 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

hahahah i wish i could see the look on her face when you said that. it sounds like an awesome show tonight. i wish i could go to every show!!!!!

May 3rd, 2008 (San Diego)
May 5th, 2008 (Los Angeles)
November 11th, 2010 (Los Angeles)
May 9th, 2011 (Los Angeles)
May 12th, 2011 (Anahiem)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:01 am 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

that's an excellent way to describe it :D

KT...I Love You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:07 am 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Location: Paris, France, Europe, World, Universe, Solar System, Galaxy
lvt wrote:
Awesome! The music sucked all thoughts out of my brain. Need to recuperate. Tamara and I were totally speechless afterwards, the best of the best.

I told KT afterwards - she gets you to a pinnacle, the top of the world and just when you think you can go no higher ...... you do, as you float on her words, tones, rhythms, melodies, and harmonies like a cloud wafting over Mt Everest .

Set list same as Chicago, except she did not do Paper Aeroplane. She did *my* song, tears ran down my cheeks as she sang solo .... Throw Me A Rope.

Need food, need hydration, need sleep - G'nite

Oooh...
This is full of promises, sounds like it was another amazing experience :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:08 pm 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Sounds like another great gig. 8) :smt023
Can't wait for the reports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:17 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Sounds like you had a FANTASTIC time, girls!

So glad you got Throw Me a Rope, one of my all time favorites too.

How was KT at the bball game? Could you see her tiny self out at center court? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:12 am 

OK, let's see how much I can remember.

I don't live far from the Palace, it is a straight shot up I75, but it is nice having a navigator to read the google map to me. Couldn't just let SSK just lounge in that passenger seat could I? :wink: Fought the crowds in, lots of noise from what seemed to be zillions of teenyboppers. We were in the semi-nosebleed seats packed in like sardines. SSK took off for a few minutes while I tested my new camera (Canon PowerShot A650 IS). She came back and we moved to our *new* seats :smt023 . Taking note of our fellow forumers penchant for truthfulness (or lack thereof, pregnancy and heart condition) we moved to seats where we could spread out using the recent "Knee surgery" card. Watched two 10 minute periods of basket ball. Detroit's team is pretty good, 07 division champions, overall champions the two (?) years before. They had the lead at halftime. KT was announced and played BHATCT and then a Motown tune for the home fans, IWYB. I got both on vid (currently uploading to sendspace). Very strange venue, but great job as always. KT could play on a tuna boat and still give it her all.

We left as KT did and found the car in the parking lot. I missed the turn into the exit drive and as I did a U-turn, caught a limo out of the corner of my eye. Anyone else important at the game? Would they leave at halftime? NO! Holy $hit ... must be KT! Typical Detroit sports management --- ask for a simple car get a limo. KT is lucky she didn't get a stretch Hummer! Anyhow, I floored it and followed. Well, Detroit drivers go 80 in a 65 zone, so we were flying down the highway. Me and my Matrix kept up for about 5 miles and then I slowed from 92 to a still fast 78. (Usually I drive 65 tops to save on gas.) Made it to Ann Arbor in about an hour, parked and wandered the area until the Power Center opened. We're used to standing in line outside a venue, it was strange to mill around inside. Bought tour t-shirts and people watched. It was a strange mix, students, townies, arts supporter, faculty. Got our seats and after doing my camera check, was curtly told by the gray-haired usher lady "NO CAMERAS! NO PICTURES!"

Paddy Casey was good, very dry humor, quiet leprechaun kind of guy. Fiona did a song too - she reminds me of a young EmmyLou Harris. Then the crew came in to set up for KT. Put out the campfire accoutrements - the lawn gnomes, the horse, owl, the tea cup on a stool, KT's chair. And then I squeezed out of my 6th row seat (yes, packed like sardines again) and presented one of the staff (the nice girl with the Scottish accent) with my addition. Every campfire needs a FROG right, or two! When I got this I thought mama frog and baby on her back - not what everyone i showed it to thought! Ye with dirty minds :smt018 :smt018 :smt018

Tada KT and the boys come out. Started with MiniDs, which I love best when acoustic. When Little Favors started I envisioned a paper torn mouth and puppet strings as KT sang. Loved Kenny's xylophone part in Hold On. Since the Power Center is built for plays and musical performances, the acoustics are fantastic. KT made several comments about it through the show. Due to the mix of the crowd there was no drunk guy/gal talking during songs. There was also not a lot of hand clapping and the usual gig stuff, though the crowd did warm up as the show progressed. But SSK and I did not care. We sang along (me doing harmony as is in my blood), swayed and tried not to affect our neighbors TOO much. We did not get poked or punched. :smt064

During Little Favors she missed a note and commented about it being left at a tequila bar in Chicago. Then told a short story about Cesar and the electric box (drunkies get in a circle holding hands, box with electric rheostat, power cranked up and goes through all participants - gee what fun! KT mentioned the Shock game performance and did a short beatbox imitation of Detroit music putting WB to work. As I said before, she did Throw Me A Rope as her solo - I melted. Loved Ashes (the FU was not quite as exuberant as past gigs), Hopeless, on UTW we swayed our whole row of seats.

I was totally mesmerized by Beauty of Uncertainty. The first time I heard the album version I envisioned (equivalent hearing term?) how she would do it live, the looping with WB, the haunting background ooooo's at the end - she outdid what i imagined and I am getting chills as i write this. I can't wait for the live album to come out. I purposely have not listened to any of the previous US gigs because I wanted this to be fresh for me. It was, thousands of times over. To hear a familiar song with a new twist, Sam's mini-solo's, a new bass sound from Arnie, new instruments from Kenny and lots of new percussion toys from Luke. Ah the show was ... searching for words ... phenomenal is the first one that comes to mind but is yet not enough for the entrancement my eyes saw and my ears heard. :smt020 :smt020 :smt020 Aye - she is a WITCH for sure, in the fairey land enchanted isles sense, of course.

After SIS they went off, someone threw a flower on the stage and Kenny picked it up. I thought I would go deaf with the clapping, whistling and hooting. It seemed to last for hours. When they came back on, KT had the flower behind her right ear. I said F@ it and dug out my camera and got the last half of Universe & U on video. Got Ain't Nobody too, but since I had to close my viewer to keep from getting caught you can listen to the audio and won't have to look at the head of the guy in front of me. We clapped our hands raw on Stoppin The Love, missed the trash bin lid Kenny-Luke banging competition, but SSK said it really is not something done at a campfire. Goodnights and thankyous said ... show over ... We're exhausted, yet still exhilarated. Wanting more, but knowing we probably couldn't handle it without dying.

Few other tidbits. She commented about the height of the bBall players. When seeing them from afar, since they are all equally tall, they looked normal. But when she stood next to them ... well, KT is quite petite as we all know (the Shock's center is 6'6", beats me by 4" = 9.5 cms). Random fact = lobsters can lose and regrow legs, claws and antennae, sometimes as a protective mechanism to escape predators - imagine if people would do that, shake hands with some one and you keep it! At the end KT pointed out the blue "ribbon" around Kenny's cowboy hat. She shortened her t-shirt and made the strips into a hat band. Ah, when did she see the FROGS? Before Beauty? Well, KT gave hearty thanks to whomever brought them and she too thought they were humping frogs!

Here is my sendspace zip file of the bBall game and show: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qghgrh

I need a break to go pee - will write the after show meet in a few minutes!

Last edited by lvt on Sat May 24, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:27 am 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Great report so far Linda. :smt023
Thanks for the pics and videos. Gives me something to do while I wait for you to get back. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:40 am 

Funny thing ... had to make the same pause for relief between the-end-of-the gig and the find-the-bus event .....

Left the building, went right, found the dirt path between the trees, the hidden parking area and THE BUS. Not a huge crowd, maybe a dozen well-wishers milling around. Waited around and watched the workers pack the trailer. After about 10 minutes, Micky walked by, then another 10 and Arnie walked by. I'm not sure that anyone recognized him as they all seemed to be newbies specifically waiting for KT. After some undetermined time (another 20 minutes?) *SHE* came down the loading dock steps and was gently mobbed. Where did these extra people come from? The bushes? out from under cars? I just continued to sit on my driveway barricade and SSK walked around to keep warm. We figured we'd hang back till most of the crowd disappeared.

KT signed several cds and did pix with folks bubbly and sweet as usual. One person wanted her green tour shirt signed, but KT's silver sharpie wasn't working well. She paused and asked if anyone had one and she caught my eye as i reached to get mine. As I stepped forward, her eyes got bigger as she recognized me (especially since I have served this function a few times before :roll: ). She accepted my offer and said HI and something like "nice to see you / glad you made it / oh,no, not you again" :smt005

She handed it back to me and I hung back a while more. Then, for fear that her tour manager would whisk her away too soon, I stepped forward. We exchanged a few words (the same as above?). She went to hug me, but the folks around kind of kept it from being an easy move, so we just did a hand-hug sort of thing. I told her the reaching a pinnacle and then going beyond comment - she smiled and was appreciative. I gave her my CD with the Saving KTs Fake Face movie and pix on it (including Hairspray blue hair). She said "brilliant" or something equally british. I gave her a tiny book of Snapple Real Facts and told her she'd now never run out of random facts and it was tiny enough to pack everywhere (about 3"x3"). I asked her to sign the poster of T in the Park [edit: not Wercher] Nat sent me, no one else had any clue where the pic was from so she repeated it a few times and seemed quite geeked.

She wrote "To Linda big Love" and she did not ask my name :mrg: :smt007 :smt041 xss19

Lastly, I thanked her for being the catalyst for me and SSK (who had also come over by then) to become friends (except I said it stupidly). The three of us talked a few minutes about the acoustic CD - she said it sounds pretty good. Some older lady (haha funny comment coming from me) interrupted us asking to see her ring. We saw that there was still a bunch of newbies wanting autographs and pix so we stepped back to leave. KT was surrounded like a food pellet thrown into a pond of hungry Koi.

As we walked away she stopped writing, looked up and shouted "Goodby Guys!" and waved. We waved back and I yelled "see you next week!"

So that is the meeting KT again part of the story. We got lost leaving Ann Arbor - not seriously, but I do hate driving around that campus, especially with construction and darkness. We made it back to home and hotel, still on an enormous high from the whole day.

And they said "it is good" and on the Seventh Day they rested.

-the end-

Last edited by lvt on Mon May 19, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:53 am 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Thanks again for the report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:06 am 

Oh, I forgot ... We told KT we were at the bBall game. She asked us if we stayed to the end. We said He// no! Ok maybe we said Heck. Anyhow we said, didn't you see the car next to you at the stop sign out of the parking lot? I even honked at you! She said she fell asleep in the car as soon as her head hit the seat back. She dozed all the way to AA.

Probably a good thing to have no clue how fast they were going.