All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:30 pm 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

Days 4-6, London/Seattle: Ok, enough flat tires already! Flat tire #2 happened seconds before reaching my Wolverhampton lodging. It may have something to do with my clipping a curb at high speed but that would be pure speculation. :smt001

The Wolverhampton show Wednesday night was classic KT. The band was on and the crowd was into it from note #1. I decided to change things up on my end by watching the show from the very back of the venue. Two observations: (1) People who are there to drink and accidentally watch a concert hang out in the back; and (2) it’s really hard to hear clearly KT’s witty banter from so far away. I have nearly bionic hearing (a product of talking to people while wearing earplugs in my law school library) and was still having a hard time, even when the drunks were relatively quiet. Bummer, but a good lesson.

I decided to say goodbye to KT after this show because I didn’t know what to expect in London. While waiting for KT, I met Abii (who posted on this thread a few days ago) and her friend (Jody?). I was immediately impressed when they first thought I worked for the band. I do have that band management look especially in my leather sport coat and Kenneth Cole boots. Or maybe it was the fact that I was the only single male hanging out by the busses! Anyway, Abii has a virtually encyclopedic knowledge of KT. I was humbled in about two minutes of conversation. Great gal.

So I’m the last person to speak with KT and I thank her for a great week. She again told me how much she appreciated the gesture and gave me a KT hug. We laughed, we cried, we became a part of each other! Ok, maybe I exaggerate a bit. I said I was looking forward to my London finale and that I‘d see her in Seattle in a few weeks. I kind of miss her (the music, of couse) already. :smt002

Thursday was my day off (thanks KT) so was able to do some work and a bit of sightseeing before going to London. I returned my rental car Thursday night since driving in London seemed a bit silly and parking is a joke. Vital Stats: 750+ miles; 2 flat tires (both mysterious), spilled 1 cup of coffee.

Friday’s show was one to remember. Playing the Hammersmith Apollo is clearly a marker in one’s career. I had a first row center balcony seat so was able to take in the whole experience including very dynamic lighting. The Wolverhampton venue also had serious lighting but the display wasn’t as prominent. At first I didn’t know what to make of KT and the boys rockin’ out under a light show fit for a 1980’s glam band (more exaggeration) but it was fun to watch. Everyone on stage seemed to be having a good time soaking in the lights and the crowd. I’m guessing two things: (1) KT is now playing venues large enough to have professional lighting capability; and (2) using the lights falls under KT’s typical “why not see what happens” approach. I’ll be curious whether it continues beyond this UK/Europe tour. I’ve read KT plans more intimate “keeping it real” gigs in the US so Team America won’t get to see KT and the boys all lit up. Just close your eyes and think Bon Jovi circa 1985.

Leaving the Apollo, I turned around and stared for a minute at the marquee with KT’s name in neon read letters. I thought about the first time I’d come across KT on an Alaska Airlines in-flight video in January 2006. I recalled a Nashville gig later in the year when KT expressed so much excitement and gratitude for the opportunity to play in one of the music world’s holy cities. I remembered taking my work team to the show in Washington, DC as a thank you gift last spring and experiencing KT with my sister and nephews in Dublin last fall.

I’ll likely see many more KT gigs before I reach my limit (Do you remember when Forest Gump just decides to stop running back and forth across the country?) but this was a moment to savor. :smt023

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:38 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Dave, thanks so much for all your posts! Kinda feels like we are traveling with
you, but I'll let you change the tires!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:06 pm 

Thank you, once again David, for sharing your experience with us. Reading your reports and seeing the photos and videos of others have made me feel like I was there too.

Does Luke know you "laughed, cried, and became a part of each other"? :smt005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:20 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Ah Dave, loved reading the last installment mate :) so happy you had a good time in London.. was great to meet you.
Two flats tyres though.. someone's unlucky.
Hope you have a good time at the Seattle gig.. :D
x

"And with no one to lose,
you say you feel like a bruise,
on a beautiful body"♥

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:22 pm 
Nice reviews David, sounds like an amazing week :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Great reviews Dave! Thanks for sharing your impressions with us!

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:17 am 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

These have really been a delight to read. Not only am I jealous that you got to do this, but that you got to go home to Seattle, one of my favorite cities on the planet. :) I lived there for a time. :) Thanks for keeping us in the loop - I was travelling right along witcha! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:41 am 

great reports/reviews David... thanks for sharing.

can't think of anything that comes close to a week of being an American Tunstall Tourist in the UK :smt023

unless of course it was possible to be Tunstall's American Tourister for a week :D

SK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:37 pm 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

ST wrote:
Thank you, once again David, for sharing your experience with us. Reading your reports and seeing the photos and videos of others have made me feel like I was there too.

Does Luke know you "laughed, cried, and became a part of each other"? :smt005

:smt005

Ta very much for sharing your amazing experience with all of us, what a great week!
:wink: :D

ImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:25 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

..Hey David, we're you outside after the gig to meet KT..cos you should have said "HI" to me...Ipswich is my home town, well, i grew up there even though i was born in the East End of London...

ANDY B... :smt023

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:34 am 

I had so much fun reading all of your reports David! I look forward to meeting you in Seattle, I will be the crazed fan with ST doing the groupie trip from San Fran..we should be in top form by the time we reach Seattle :lol:

Post subject: Re: KT Week in the UK!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:34 am 

Well, I'm doing in again in 2011. On the road with KT (I promise no more flat tires :smt023). Daily travel journal reports, of course. Not sure how many gigs yet but will start in Ireland next month. Any takers?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm 

DavidESQ wrote:
Well, I'm doing in again in 2011. On the road with KT (I promise no more flat tires :smt023). Daily travel journal reports, of course. Not sure how many gigs yet but will start in Ireland next month. Any takers?

Please shoot some photos as well! I love reading all these gig stories from all you guys and allows me to live vicariously this winter from the recliner while it's blowing cold snow outside. :mrg:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:40 am 

DavidESQ wrote:

tempting... but Ireland in Feb :? :?

I am holding out for a summer Euro tour :smt023

Had enough of the cold here in the northeast dude!

SK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:37 am 

C'mon, SK. It's not like the gigs are outdoors! If you were a true fan...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next