All times are UTC

Post subject: Thank you to the band!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 pm 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

Another thread about the Tiger Suit-era live band finishing their stint as KT's musicians of choice, but this is just for people to say thanks to them for the last year and a bit of live gigs and wish them all the best. Hope this isn't too similar to the other thread, but if it is feel free to do with this as you wish. However, I just thought rather than a 'what did you make of it?' thread, this would be more of a 'cheers for the memories' thread, as if you were talking to them with a wee thank you message for any nice meories we may have of the current band's era on the road. I'll let other people go first!

Post subject: Re: Thank you to the band!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 pm 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

Charlotte i will miss your awesome hair! And the way you rock the guitar, etc... but mainly the hair. :smt045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:44 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

i think if we are talking about memories of the band we can not miss out the slightly tipsy Charlotte in Leeds thanks to that night i can add great smile to the list of awesomeness as well as her ability to shout Hiyaaaaa in a rather good yorkshire accent :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:07 am 

Thanks to Charlotte for continually tingling my spine with the Difficulty riff for the last 12 months!

Its been great to follow this band and become a proper nutjob and be part of this wonderful little community, rather than just an appreciator of KT Tunstall

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:41 pm 

Have to echo Kev's sentiment about the Difficulty riff with Charlotte - thank you for putting up with my positive chanting of 'GO ON CHARLOTTE!' at virtually every show where that song appeared (including being captured on the Live In London CD!). Also share Teena's sentiment about after the Leeds gig - Charlotte was really funny and that drunken beaming grin is something else! Also makes me think of seeing her at Brighton and saying she was in good spirits but not quite as smiley, then getting the chirpy response of 'Not quite as p****d this time Steve'!

But getting familiar with the whole band over this tour period has been a real pleasure. It all started in Cambridge for me at the first full band gig in October, seeing Charlotte first and being frankly terrified of her but just about engaging in brief conversation (with Julian's help!), getting the SG signed by her in Glasgow (with Kim's help!), then being a bit more interactive on the February/March tour. Meeting Charlotte with Kev and the whole conversation about her one Saving My Face mistake! Luke at Newcastle laughing politely as I told him I struggled to see him from my vantage point at gigs because my view of him was often obstructed by his wife's 'pendulum bum' (someone please explain what possessed me to have that conversation). Signed Hatherley Buckfast. Kenny giving us wee devil horn signs when he went off stage. Giving Rej and Kenny mugs at Bournemouth and the contrast of Kenny being a right grump (but giving me a cuddle) with Rej being absolutely ecstatic, giggling away and loving it, then making little teacup gestures at me as he went off stage. Luke going on his daily runs past those of us at the venue at ridiculous o'clock and giving a genuine opportunity to use the Star Wars line 'Run Luke, run!' in worst faux-Alec Guinness voice. Kenny and Rej becoming almost a couple in their non-stage time. Charlotte giving me her plectrum after Bath (uncomfortable stretch included!). And at the end of Harvest, Kenny making a particular point of looking over to Julian, Dawn and myself as he applauded the crowd going off stage as a group for the final time - just about made me a bit emotional!

But it's little memories like that that I'll take away, that actually mean so much more to you even than you realise at the time. That's aside from the actual shows themselves and what they did on stage. With the way Tiger Suit was made and the process of that, you're looking at an album for which the band in many ways hadn't had much to do with its creation, yet it was up to them to bring that to life. KT directing things obviously helps, but they still had to play their part for the live shows. Kenny and Luke with experience of doing that for KT's music of course, Charlotte and particularly Rej being a bit less familiar with the conception of the album, but they all did a great job. I didn't get to see Rej's debut on the Troika tour, but seeing the five of them from the very start helps to understand the great job they did on stage. They weren't without their issues to overcome - the mix of instruments was gradually tweaked and improved from the first shows, then even KT had her demons with the killing of her newly gifted Telecaster of Charlotte's at Shepherd's Bush, her New Year headbutting of the microphone and argument with the guitar tech about how to play the Erasure cover (before admitting she was wrong!), it wasn't all plain sailing. But over time the chemistry developed more, the understanding was obviously there and they were a proper unit. Charlotte's amazing work on Uummannaq Song (and may I say some very underrated accompaniment elsewhere, I always loved her acoustic ensemble parts on The Entertainer), Rej's False Alarm bass outro, Kenny's Hold On solos and being better at singing Seasick Steve's Golden Frames parts than Seasick Steve! Lucky Luke proving that the more you saw him play those songs, the luckier he tended to be at just being frighteningly good at them. And THAT RUN of Push That Knot Away into Fade Like A Shadow! Rej's bassline followed by snakehips, does it get any better than that?! NO, IT DOESN'T!

I could go on all night because frankly, I just love those five glorious people. But I'll just say thanks so much for the good times and the memories. As our own adaptation of the Uummannaq Song lyrics went (courtesy of Simon, my much-missed fellow baldy), I may even toast each of you with 'five cold beers'. :smt023

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

I shall gradually post stuff here but my brain on two hour sleep does not work too well... So I'll just start with my favourite bits.

One. I'm a bit scared of Kenny because I always feel like a right freak when he walks past the venue and we're already there :lol: Or especially, when it was just zombie me in Bournemouth because all you guys were LATE and leaving me standing there :p I don't really know why though!
I'm sure he's a very nice fella as back in '08 we did have a wee pic with him in orange braids, but I dunno. He's just too cool for skool for me to say anything, even just 'hi' when once again we pass him (and Rej usually) in the street somewhere. I just become a wuss! My favourite Kenny bits are... The Close To Me trumpet bit, and the synth in Uummannaq Song and PTKA. Ace!

I could not heart Charlotte any more for her PTKA solo, I'm sorry I keep bringing it up but till this day EVERY SINGLE TIME I listen to it on my iPod I look like a loon because I love it SO SO SO SO much. I love her and Steve's relationship :lol: And I found it funny when I complimented her on her amazeballs scarf she actually told me where she got it :lol: (it was sold out though, noooo)
Oh and I adore her playing Heal Over, and the backing vocals during the bridge in If Only make me shiver!!

Rej' cup enthousiasm was especially fun, we've got the same nailpolish and he rules the PTKA bass solo fo sho. He's boss for poses too. And I like he and Kenny seem like proper bro's!

Luke... Well, if he leaves, I'm gonna cry bigtime!! :lol: For my favourite bits I'll refer you guys to the 'Top 3 Drumparts' thread. I wonder if he reads the forum or something because I think ever since Brussels I think he knows me in the crowd for the smiles! Which is sweet, aaaand I got a wave at Cactus!! :-D I just do hope he didn't realise that I'm the same person as the blithering idiot in Manchester who wanted her drumsticks signed :lol: Till this day I have absolutely no idea why not even ONE word could come out of my mouth the right way, I think it was my most embarrassing moment ever. It wasn't even that bad meeting KT the first time.
Oh that, and when I was randomly strolling around Bournemouth waiting for everyone to show up as my bus got in way too early, I walked into the shopping mall that was on the same street as the venue, completely bored, got to a dead end, turned around to walk back, and I was standing face to face to Luke who was on the other side of the window, looking right at me. Apparently, the bus was parked in a little alley in between the back of the venue and that arm of the shopping mall. I imagine I must've looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Then I ran off as inconspicuously as possible. Which was probably a major fail :lol: I'd already walked past him when he went for a jog (though I only realised that when I turned around a while later) and had had the same with Rej twice, Kenny once and Dave (crew) that day. I was sincerely scared I was starting to look like some crazy stalker :lol:

I should say, I still get excited bigtime thinking back about the Skye gig when it was just the three of them. He completely blew me away, it was IMMENSE. And it was also fun to share a wee look laughing whilst KT was struggling with 'shoddy' Ashes :lol: I like his humour too, during Uummannaq Song KT made another mistake and he knew to find the cowbells straight away for an improvised rimshot-type thing haha! Unless that was meant to be there. But I don't think so :lol:

Hmm and that frontwoman... Well. She bores me a bit really :p But then it's not the place to talk about her here. And I'd need a couple weeks for it too.

I find it hard to put stuff into words like Steve can do it as I really enjoy musical details in the moment, and I can be baffled at stuff I see any bandmember do, but I'm rubbish at remembering these details so I must sound a bit unappreciative. Not so though!! I'm sure gonna miss the band during the solo tour, even though I can't wait to hear KT's solo magic either.
I really hope we'll see them back for next album too, it's been a true pleasure to have them for these tours. :smt052 :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 pm 

ooooo i would also add a sorry to Charlotte for maybe scaring her a wee bit in dunfermline looking like some dodgy person standing on my own when everyone had gone home not sure who looked more scared me or her :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:26 pm 

Kim wrote:
I could not heart Charlotte any more for her PTKA solo, I'm sorry I keep bringing it up but till this day EVERY SINGLE TIME I listen to it on my iPod I look like a loon because I love it SO SO SO SO much. I love her and Steve's relationship :lol: And I found it funny when I complimented her on her amazeballs scarf she actually told me where she got it :lol: (it was sold out though, noooo)
Oh and I adore her playing Heal Over, and the backing vocals during the bridge in If Only make me shiver!!

HEAL OVER! I love that version of it they do! Especially in Manchester where KT missed her cue!

Also I find your mention of our 'relationship' rather amusing! As amusing as Teena scaring her at Dunfermline?! Tough call!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 pm 

Steve who drinks tea wrote:
Have to echo Kev's sentiment about the Difficulty riff with Charlotte - thank you for putting up with my positive chanting of 'GO ON CHARLOTTE!' at virtually every show where that song appeared (including being captured on the Live In London CD!).

I know you said I should join in - but I think that is your territory Steve - it's nearly legend!

Meeting Charlotte with Kev and the whole conversation about her one Saving My Face mistake!

Ahh, yes. You got your albums signed just before I did as Charlotte was like "not seen these for a while, Steve", "Dejavu moment, Is there any chance you would sign mine aswell please Charlotte?". I remember our thumbs up to her during Saving My Face that night and the relieved smile we got back.

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:45 pm 

KAS23 wrote:
Meeting Charlotte with Kev and the whole conversation about her one Saving My Face mistake!

Ahh, yes. You got your albums signed just before I did as Charlotte was like "not seen these for a while, Steve", "Dejavu moment, Is there any chance you would sign mine aswell please Charlotte?". I remember our thumbs up to her during Saving My Face that night and the relieved smile we got back.

Indeed! And Manchester the following night when just before the song she gave us a thumbs up and a giddy grin, as if to say 'I'm going to get this right you two!', knowing we were watching her!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:36 pm 

I think that's where you coined the phrase "The Saving My Face Foot Pedal Hokey Cokey"