All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Album
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:42 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

Seems to be mixed reviews. I'm tempted to look into the UK iTunes connection but I'm OK waiting (anxiously) also. Come on mailbox, bring me the right stuff!.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:11 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

I'm going to completely dismiss reviews for this album. This is not going to appeal to her general pop oriented audience (who tend to weigh published reviews). I look at this album as more of a creative statement centered around her beautiful voice and words with Howe Gelb providing the vibe-ish backdrop. It will probably broaden her appeal to some underground areas so I think it will still sell well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

So a question to those who actually got this on physical media (vinyl, too, but especially the CD): what all does it "come with," both digitally and physically. Apparently the CD if put into a computer links you to an alternative video for Feel It All (that's what all the business with the top hat and the cape was about apparently), but did the online component included any additional exclusive goodies? And also, what do both CD and vinyl come with in terms of lyrics, credits, album art, etc.?

Curious iTunes-buying minds want to know,

Z.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:52 pm 

LP comes in a Gatefold Cover, printed inner sleeve with lyrics, no CD, no download.

Looks and feels great (sounds pretty good too)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 pm 

Can I just say the photos in the CD booklet and in particular the sort of collage of them on the vinyl sleeve are gorgeous... :D

There are credits in the CD booklet also, and the online section also has a code for 10% off in the online store alongside the (in my opinion quite strange) alternative Feel It All video :)

8/4/08 Ipswich Regent, 13/9/09 Harvest at Jimmy's, 19/10/10 The Junction, Cambridge, 17/11/13 Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, 28/11/15 Royal Albert Hall (Jools Holland), 10/12/15 BFI (Live score performance), 31/5/16 The Tabernacle, London, 6/11/16 Cambridge Corn Exchange, 9/11/16 Shepherds Bush Empire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:28 pm 
Elvis' Martin D-28
Elvis' Martin D-28

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to break down and order this from the UK. Ain't waiting unit August!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:08 pm 

I've probably found this the most difficult KT album since Drastic Fantastic to get into (I don't think trying to listen half asleep at 4am is helping). Having said that some of my favourite songs (Funnyman, Little Favours) are on that collection.

However I am enjoying the creschendo of songs from Feel It All through to the Band Jam version - Honeydew's beat is stuck in my head and for some reason Invisible Empire has me thinking Itchicoo Park :smt017

This is the true definition of a grower of an album

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm 
BB King's Gibson ES-251, "Lucille"

Took me a LOT of effort to get that bonus content to work. But THAT'S what the hat was about

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:34 pm 

Ok, finally received it yesterday and have to say that I am completely in love since the first listen (something which has hardly ever happened to me). I think this is KT in her most sincere way. I'm very, very astounded by the lyrics. I'm not saying that her lyrics were bad at all, but this is something I would have never expected from her. They are so poetic and full of meaning that I can't still believe she wrote this album so fast.
And about the songs... what else can I say that hasn't already been said?
I can't pick up a favourite, but at the moment I find "Yellow Flower" one of the most beautiful things I've heard in a long time, it makes me feel so many different things... And it also sounds to me very much John Lenn-ish.
"Waiting On The Heart" is perfect from the beggining to the end and I just can't even try to explain how much I love "Made Of Glass".
At the moment I can't seem to wrap my head around "How You Kill Me" and I kind of see "No Better Shoulder" out of place, but hey! that doesn't mean that I don't like them, not at all. And it doesn't matter if I like them or not, just what KT feels.

What I still can't believe is that she managed to write such a masterpiece in so little time...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:15 am 

I listened for the first time this evening. I waited for the right moment to be in a position to dwell on the music and words (mowing the lawn while having a few pints doesn't get any better for this.)

I was blown away. This album is coming from her inner soul and Howe Gelb clearly produced this album in a way that removed any stress on her to make hit singles. I can only compare this sound to her sweeter voice on ETT and then had some Johnny Cash, Beatles and Pink Floyd vibes sprinkled about. I am so glad they went with focus on her voice and giving her a different sound. The sound might well have been a bit out of her comfort zone at any other time in her past but I think it fit where she is at right now.

One immediate thing I felt was how much I really didn't care for Tiger Suit. Actually what I didn't like about TS was her shouting singing. I've always loved her soft and husky voice and it's in it's full glory on this album.

I can see this wouldn't have immediate mass appeal but have no doubt that a number of these songs are going to show up all over the place. I can't wait to hear this album on a night ride on the motorcycle somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:35 am 

How do you get the bonus content from the CD? I've put it in the computer but nothing's happened.. I remember for DF it came up with an opendisc link when you clicked on the CD but it only has the tracks showing this time...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:56 am 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

:smt041 Both cd and vinyl lay waiting for me in Amsterdam!! Can't wait to play the LP. The inner sleeve is gorgeous btw, and really glad this time it didn't rip or crease in the post.

I'm also really starting to love Crescent Moon as well, the major shifts are brilliant, very soundtrack/filmmusic like, love it!
Also, I gotta say I'm really impressed how this album is all about the voice, about which there is no doubt when you listen, and yet the music is so perfect with lots of little effects and details added in which add so much to the whole feel of the album without interfering with the main emphasis.

And everytime 'Old Man Song' comes on I can't get over how great the lyrics are written (especially of the first verse!), I love the form/structure of it too.

And the build up of 'No Better Shoulder', amazing!

The only thing I'm really not getting is the really low (too low and out of key??) male voice on the chorus of Chimes?? Or is that just me?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:55 am 

Kim wrote:
:smt041 Both cd and vinyl lay waiting for me in Amsterdam!! Can't wait to play the LP. The inner sleeve is gorgeous btw, and really glad this time it didn't rip or crease in the post.

I'm going to have to order the vinyl, huh?
Do I order from the UK or trust the US Amazon will have the vinyl also in 2 months.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:21 pm 

mkirwa09 wrote:
How do you get the bonus content from the CD? I've put it in the computer but nothing's happened.. I remember for DF it came up with an opendisc link when you clicked on the CD but it only has the tracks showing this time...

You have to go to http://www.kttunstall.com/bonus and then it verifies your CD is in your computer by some weird technical magic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm 

Eimear wrote:
mkirwa09 wrote:

You have to go to http://www.kttunstall.com/bonus and then it verifies your CD is in your computer by some weird technical magic

Thanks for that!

I find the video really odd but I really like it! Certainly more interesting than the original anyway!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next