All times are UTC

Post subject: I just gotta ask.....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:41 pm 
No-name Mandolin from eBay
No-name Mandolin from eBay

Hi all! Been lurking for a couple of years but just joined because I have a burning question that I just HAVE to have answered!

I know that KT is coming out with a new album shortly. Little worried about the style she is going with this one but I'm sure it will be fine. When Drastic Fantastic came out I was disapointed with it but it literally took me three years to appreciate just how truly a masterpiece it really is. It wasn't until I heard that material live to get it. It's a "band" album. ETTT was a solo album basically, AE was incredible and on my top 5 albums of all time list, but DF is a band album.

So, on to my question.

What is the circumstances regarding the band changes? I'm not trying to stir the pot in any way or second guess the changes but there is little in the way of explaination out there of what prompted the changes. Is it just a matter of KT wanting to go another direction? Did Sam and Arnulf decide to move on to other things due to the longish lay off? The band had such a great dynamic and Sam leaving, with his subtle yet tasteful playing and Arnulf leaving, who is one of best bassist that I've heard, is going to seriously change that. Not necessarily for the worse mind you, but it WILL change it. Looking forward to the new album. It may take me three years to "get it" but I'm sure it will be great!

Post subject: Re: I just gotta ask.....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 am 
Tiny Tim's Ukelele
Tiny Tim's Ukelele

I totally understand where you're coming from. I loved "ETTT", I adored and worshiped her "AE", I liked a lot "DF" but it's not gonna be the same with "TS". I basically love every single song (except Come on, get in) but the production is just not what I expected at all. "The Entertainer" is probably gonna be the only track I really ADORE, usually it's the whole album when it's KT. If she's just experiencing and is planning to come back to her "roots" I'm totally fine with it but if it's a drastic departure from her previous music, it won't be fantastic for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:47 pm 
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker
Joan Jett's Gibson Melody Maker

I don't recall KT talking about the reason for Sam's departure but it was my thought that
Sam is trying to go his own path since he put out his album. It is sad Arnie is not with
the band now also but I think KT explained with her change in direction ('nature-techno')
she wanted some different people. I haven't heard what Arnie is doing now but I do wish
him the best. From the fact that she put together an absolutely great band I trust her
judgement for the changes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:05 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Bands can come and go for some performers. If I were as talented as KT's players, I would be remiss to not strike out on my own on occasion to do my own thing. But yeah, things can get stale over so many years. I think she said she toured with some of them for 5 or 6 years and just trying to stay off each other's nerves is a grind. That isn't to say it was a big issue, but there are little daily things that can wind up turning into bigger things over time.

These are all generic statements about bands. I don't care to speculate about her situation. But having a whole new backing sound can be exciting for the performer and the fans. But sometimes it winds up not working too. Bruce decided he belonged with the E-Streeters after a few years. Time will tell, go with the flow and see what happens.

Just be glad she isn't going with free-flowing jazz movements like Spinal Tap did. :smt043

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:25 pm 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

STPK wrote:
Just be glad she isn't going with free-flowing jazz movements like Spinal Tap did. :smt043

:lol: :lol:

I would love it if she went down that route... as long as she came on after the puppet show :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:41 pm 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

I'm definitely gonna miss Sam and Arnie, though I agree with what's been said before, KT'll know who to pick to make it work I'm sure!!
I really liked Rej too having seen him play in Skye, he did some mad bass playing which was totally wicked, especially in Madame Trudeaux 8) :smt007

Meanwhile, I don't know how I'm gonna feel if he and Charlotte will be playing the old songs, I'm definitely gonna miss our boys :(

But I gotta say, don't go and slap me, but part of me doesn't like that Charlotte is joining the band cause I always thought it was cool that KT was the only woman in the band :lol: (that's partly why I didn't like the backing vocals, but that was mostly cause they stole wee bastard's role for the most part!)
And also, she's replacing our eyecandy!!!! Like someone's said before, righteously.
On the other hand, you gotta love girls who rock on guitar, so part of me is happy with Charlotte joining too :D
Ay ay... All these mixed feelings!! :lol:

But yeah, probably it'll be great anyways, pretty sure of that actually. This change might turn out to be really refreshing, and most of us have already been lucky enough to have enjoyed the band as it was, now we'll be onto a new 'chapter' (god that sounds dumb :lol: ). Surprise surprise...

Cannae wait for the tour!!!!!!!!!! :smt041

PS. To answer the question of the topic starter: I have no clue why they left, but I think it's what's been said above here, trying something new, get out of your comfort zone and explore. Which is something that's easier to be done when you don't keep surrounding yourself with the same people.
Really hope to see Sam play a gig again though, very curious for his second album :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:13 pm 

I think as well, KT wasn't touring for two whole years..the guys need to work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:16 pm 

Sam said he was fired though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:36 pm 

The only explanations I can think of are that KT wanted a new policy enforcing no facial hair on band members. Regrettably, Arnie had to leave.
Sam would've got fired for wanting to lay down a 2 minute guitar solo outro on a song that warranted it in his view. By doing it anyway despite KT's wishes against this it was defined as professional misconduct and he received his P45.
:p

^my solo project innit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:52 pm 

Kim wrote:

What?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:05 pm 

Well probably not in the 'YOU'RE FIRED!!!' kinda way :lol:
It was on his FB page a while back when someone asked why he'd left the band.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:28 pm 
Angus Young's Gibson SG
Angus Young's Gibson SG

Nat wrote:
Kim wrote:

What?!

Cant believe that..

ANDY B... :smt023

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

I've no idea about the workings of the band, being over here. The one take away from my one college course on small group dynamics is, its complicated.

Tiger Suit is going to be different, I enjoyed what I've heard so far and look forward to the album. I really think its going to be good. Will it be successful....?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:21 pm 

"Fired" in the west simply means put out of work against your will. It doesn't always mean it was a result of a very negative or bad incident. I think it was just a yucky way of saying he was released from his contract.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:06 am 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

STPK wrote:
"Fired" in the west simply means put out of work against your will. It doesn't always mean it was a result of a very negative or bad incident. I think it was just a yucky way of saying he was released from his contract.

Yeah, i don't think kt went all Donald Trump on him... i just can't picture that.