All times are UTC

Post subject: The "TEAM CHARLOTTE" Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:17 pm 
Willie Nelson's Martin "Trigger"

Luke & Kenny have threads so I thought it only fair to give Charlotte one of her own too.

This may just be the realm of my good self and Steve to appreciate the guitar skills :smt035 of everyone's (close) second favourite lady in the Band.

I don't want to commit herecy :oops: - but things are certainly different (and not in a bad way) without Sam

Sheff - Jun 06, Leeds - Oct 07, Wolves - Apr 08, Sheff - Apr 08, Wolves - Oct 10, Newcastle - Feb 11, Manchester - Feb 11, Leeds - Feb 11, Stornoway - Jul 11, Bath - Sept 11, York - Nov 11, Edinburgh - Nov 11, Glasgow - Nov 11, Glasgow - Sept 12

Post subject: Re: The "TEAM CHARLOTTE" Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:21 am 
Les Paul's, er, Gibson Les Paul

I think she adds soooo much to the band, her solos are simply amazing!! I loved Sam and I really didn't like the band shake up at first but damn they (yes Rej too) bring a lot of freshness there and it is great! The solo in PTKA after the bridge is making Leanne nearly cry :lol: It's my fave too. Whenever I'm on the train and that part passes on my iPod I automaticallt get this HUGE, uncontainable smile on my face :-D

(that actually happens a lot during bootlegs, and even out loud for the banter. People must surely think I'm not all that right in the head :lol: )

I shall go and inform Steve of this thread once he's awake. Expect a full bookwork on here! :p Bless our wee baldie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:17 am 
Buck Owens' Red, White & Blue Semi

So, this is what Kim was telling me about this morning. *pitches up tent*

I'm actually listening to the Grey Will Fade album now! And hoping to sneak in a bit of Mr. Ed before the train journey finishes.

I know it's KT's gig and we're there to see KT, but both her and Charlotte are just awesome. I wouldn't call one of them second favourite over the other. It's like asking what you prefer between a billion pounds' worth of gold and a billion pounds' worth of diamonds. And it's not competitive for me anyway. They both... just... rule.

Before you even mention their musicianship, it has to be said what lovely people they are. I won't go on indefinitely about how nice they've been to me personally (would be very easy to do that), but they really are fantastic people, before you even consider the music. Of course my experiences with Luke, Kenny and Rej have all been positive as well, can't speak highly enough of the whole band.

However, getting into the music side of things, good lord Charlotte is amazing. I remember talking to Julian and Kimothy recently about the Push That Knot Away solo that's been added to live versions and it is fab, Madame Trudeaux as well. The older song that's been reworked as a Tunstall/Hatherley duet (won't name it in case it spoils aa live show for anyone who hasn't seen it yet) gives me real goosebumps every time. I still struggle to fathom that two of my favourite guitar toters are in the same band! Love it.

There's also a great contrast in playing styles. KT swings around and moves all over the place, whereas Charlotte looks very tidy and compact. She looks so studied and precise when she plays, very serious, while KT shuffles around with her grins, swings and occasional Angus Young duckwalk. The only contrast is the way they use pedals. KT tends to stand over the effects pedals she uses and is ready to click them off and on well before she needs to do it. With Charlotte, sometimes she appears to move away from the pedals when she has a tone change coming up. Sometimes I even think 'Oh no! She's not going to make it!' and then this big reaching out of the leg happens and a flicked foot saves the day. It's the only time when KT looks tidier than Charlotte! There's one of the early songs in the current tour set in particular where Charlotte has to do three quick pedal switches, can't remember which song it is, but her right foot is almost doing the hokey-cokey to make the change in time. It's fascinating viewing!

So yes... comparing KT and Charlotte is not a competitive thing... it's still fun though! :P

But I would urge, nay, BEG anyone who's liking Charlotte at the moment to check out her solo material. Her live tone with KT probably most closely resembles her second album The Deep Blue (check out Be Thankful, Very Young, Behave and see what I mean), but New Worlds and her earlier album Grey Will Fade are utterly amazing as well. DO IT!

Don't know what the KT forum equivalent of building a statue to someone is, all I'm saying is in this case, we should do it.

So... Kev, Kim, that enough love for ya?! I felt under pressure to fawn there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:23 am 

I just read it outloud to the bunch here. I say more roadtrips with Chaz Hatherley toons!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:23 am 

I saw charlotte solo twice years ago and once with Ash I think, and a few times with Bat For Lashes. Thought she was brilliant back then.

Not loving her in KT's band (sorry sorry sorry) I think she just seems a bit out of place.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:55 am 
Melissa Etheridge's Adamas 12-string

Hmm not sure .
It's always a hard act to follow another group member who leaves doubly so for a guitarist and a lead at that.My first exposure being the Barras gig I'd have to say that her title Glacial Celtic Queen was about right almost like she didn't want to be there ,happily the persona and style have loosened up and she seems more at ease on stage certainly there is more smiles which shows that she is enjoying the time there ..Does she fit guess like most folk who saw Sam would say no but the songs have changed the arrangements have changed and the guitarist has to fit in with that which she does admirably just wish that as a lead guitar there was maybe a wee bit more room for soloing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:07 pm 

Kim, that sounds like a great road trip!

It would be nice to see more solos but that may come in time and at the end of the day it's KT's gig and everything else has to suit that. I do love that Charlotte already has more freedom than perhaps you might expect in the way that her sound influences the songs, particularly some of the newer reworkings of the older songs. It does really freshen things up and it says a lot for KT and Charlotte that they can take some of the earlier material and arrive at the versions of them they have now, which can sometimes be very different.

It is natural for people to compare Charlotte with Sam, or to compare Rej with Arnie. But, the new band is what it is. As KT says herself, it's not about ability. It's about fresh perspectives. It's a shame that the Acoustic Extravaganza material is being overlooked when KT's playing with the current setup, but I really don't know that Sam's sound would favour a lot of the new material either. Both great guitarists, just very different sounds. Both capable of playing whatever KT throws at them, but with different results. I wouldn't try to argue that Sam wasn't a huge part of KT's sound before, but this period is something else. I plan to enjoy it while I can as I'd suspect after this album's done, KT might go in another direction again (and Charlotte has a solo album to record). It's a little treat for those of us who are fans of both and for others, it's a chance to check out something new.

As for Charlotte looking like she didn't want to be there before, I think it's more just a case of she took time to get into the band and into the songs. She'd only properly started playing in any live context on Jools Holland the previous month, at least Rej had the Troika tour to get a foothold. You could see her mouthing to herself into songs and giving herself little cues and nods, just finding her way in. 'Concentration face' on guitar can sometimes make people look miserable when in fact they're enjoying the challenge. Maybe she was just focusing more on what she was doing. But with more familiarity she is loosening up a bit now and more smiles and relaxation are coming into her playing. Lovely to see that.

But yes, enjoying the 'Team Charlotte' vibe. It's not Charlotte v. Sam or Charlotte v. KT, it's just somewhere to be pro-Charlotte. Spread the love!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:28 pm 

^^ Yeah i think i agree, I really like Charlotte being in the band and i think her sound definitely suits the new album more than Sam's would. Not saying i prefer her to Sam-he is also an awesome guitarist! I do miss him and Arnie being in the band but it's great to see some new faces on stage, and i think they help support the change in direction with the album.

I also love the contrast of playing styles between Charlotte and KT, with her being more laid back and to herself, and KT jumping about all over the place! But i don't think this makes her seem out of place or anything, just good to see different playing styles on stage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:07 pm 
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster
Chrissy Hynde's Fender Telecaster

Sometimes I have to pinch myself that KT and Charlotte are IN THE SAME BAND :oops: :smt007 :lol: 8)

TBC.

Stop The Madness: http://nomorewifi.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm 

I do love Charlotte's playing and I think that in the new stuff she gets more of a chance to show off her skills than Sam did, and I think it's great because Charlotte and KT share the same sort of thoughts towards the music industry.

8/4/08 Ipswich Regent, 13/9/09 Harvest at Jimmy's, 19/10/10 The Junction, Cambridge, 17/11/13 Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, 28/11/15 Royal Albert Hall (Jools Holland), 10/12/15 BFI (Live score performance), 31/5/16 The Tabernacle, London, 6/11/16 Cambridge Corn Exchange, 9/11/16 Shepherds Bush Empire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 pm 

There's just something about the new band that doesn't click for me. I don't think its musical ability wise because i never hear anything wrong with the actually playing of the songs. I just feel the band lack the chemistry of the previous lineup and they're a bit lacking in personality. I think Kenny seems different as well. I remember the rest of the band being more involved during gigs rather than just during the Hold On/If only part where she introduces the band.

And sorry, controversial, but OH YES REJ SPEAKS WELSH AND NO-ONE KNOWS WHAT HE'S SAYING. HOW HILARIOUS. LETS DO IT AT EVERY GIG.

(it was totally different when arnie spoke german :lol:)

I'm sure they're lovely people, and they are good musicians. But I don't think anyone looks like they're having as much fun as with the old band.

Come on everyone, tell me im wrong. You know you're going to :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:41 pm 

Don't think your wrong Nat just a different point of view .I'd agree that there is a distinct lack of chemistry on stage ,it's like a group of hired musos turn up play through the tunes and finish and that's it . That being said I guess that the chemistry takes time to build the other guys were there for a while so you never know ,As for the Lord Of The Rings talk hmm i know a few welsh speakers so i may ask them about this ,for all we know it could run along the lines of "Hello (place name ) jings this place is a bit of a dump innit " who knows ,still there are some gigs still to go so lets see ..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:06 pm 

^^^

[Edit: I realize I sat without posting this long enough that my ^^^ is now obsolete; was meant in reference to Mel's post above.]

That's much the same effect that you'd see in the Who, where Townsend, Daltrey, and Moon were these mad chaotic whirls of energy and Entwistle just stood there stock still and anchored it all. Mind you what he was doing musically on the bass was every bit as wild as the other three--the world's greatest lead bass player, he was--but the visual effect was incredible.

So yeah, count me on Team Charl-hotte. :-D The woman is an amazing musician, and I really like what she brings to the table in KT's band.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:44 pm 

I'd like to think the reason for the "lack of stage warmth" is more due to the personalities involved than anything else. I've watched plenty of videos of Charlotte and Rej in their prior bands and they were just as focused and reserved in those bands too.

I could also throw this out for thought. Arnie, Sam and Kenny may have already been friends with Luke when they were hired (although I don't know this for sure). That band also evolved on stage along with KT. I'm sure in the 2004/2005 timeframe, the band was equally reserved and maybe even stressed as ETTT shot up the charts. Eventually they got familiar with each other and let's face it, it's easier to play in a band that is guaranteed sellouts and big TV gigs. To top that off, they were a touring unit for, at least, 4 years. It would be hard to not have fun at the gigs just to deal with the insanity.

One other thing to remember is that Tiger Suit was made by mostly studio musicians. At least Charlotte and Rej do not feel a sense of ownership for the original songs and were probably stressed over having to learn the songs literally a month or so before the start of the US tour. They are probably focused on not messing up the songs, let alone get adventurous with them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:01 pm 

Quote:
At least Charlotte and Rej do not feel a sense of ownership for the original songs

Charlotte and Kenny - and Arnie - were indeed involved with the making of the album. Check the credits and look at the names on the "thanks" page of the cd.

Sorry not to agree with many of you on the band dynamics! Granted I've only been to one performance, back in November in Chicago, but there seemed to be plenty of interaction amongst the band members. Maybe they were more "comfortable" then because they had been on a cramped tour bus for roughly a month covering thousands of miles of America, and they have now just started back up again after quite a hiatus of not being in each others hair for days at a time.

And musically - well, I am impressed by the range of instruments that Charlotte plays, and plays well. Rej may look a bit more limited, but he does rhythm when KT takes over bass, claps, tambourines and is a great whistler! And did i see a bass uke in his hands recently? And of course, Kenny is Mr. UberTalent. I am most impressed by the improvement of the vocals with this group. The songs being done now needed female backing that just couldn't be covered by the pedal. There are times I find it hard to differentiate Chaz' voice and KT's they meld so well.

Remember it is KT TUNSTALL, not KT Tunstall and Band. But even so, KT does not seem to consider any of her group, not even the "roadies" as second class citizens, or mere workers for the cause. They are a family, albeit and sometimes unfamiliar one and i firmly believe there is only one way to go .... UP!